Back amongst the trees

adzyvilla

After last week's (literal) blow out, the weather gods decreed that this Saturday afternoon, I would go shooting. A more manageable 20-25mph south easterly, with sporadic squally showers, and assurances from my once again present father that the birds were about. Bravely fighting off a rear guard action by the cold (definately not corona virus) that had kept me off work 4 or the last 5 days, I was glad of the chance to get out a blow away the cobwebs. 

Driving up to the wood just after 3, a good 500+ pigeons lifted off the remains of the long maize cover strip and momentarily darkened the sky above us, a good omen perhaps? We quickly made our way to our favoured spots at opposite ends of the 30 acre dogleg that straddles the river, well in flood now. The damage wreaked the previous weekend was worse than I when I beat a hasty retreat, and I spotted at least 20 newly fallen trees, mostly within 10 yards either side of the river. 

My ambush point was a little different than when I left it. A tall poplar had fallen into its neighbour which had broken off half way down the trunk and the remains of both now lay in front of me, a glaring hole in the tree canopy. I wondered how this might effect things for the rest of the afternoon. 

8 shots in a hectic 2 minutes saw my bag total standing at an astonishing 0, I laboured in vain at high and fast birds riding the gusts and getting the better of me over and again. Wasteful shooting with absolutely no class, I had a quiet word with myself and refocused. The numbers we disturbed on arrival seemed to have disappeared, replaced by ones and twos flying in no real discernable pattern. I kept my cool to take two in two shots, restoring my faith in my ability, and ably retrieved by my faithful hound. 

The birds were sporadic, and I couldn't hear much action around me, so I assumed everyone else was experiencing the same problems. The wind kept up a good show, and there were creaks and cracks aplenty as the pines swayed this way and that, threatening to topple at any minute. 

The sun was still shining in a watery fashion as a flurry of activity bought me two more birds for three shots, both of which caught me unawares coming in from behind me and looking to settle in the ivy clad trees at the edge of the wood some 50 yards ahead of me. I took them through the trees to my left, snap shooting at it's best. I wasted a further three cartridges as the birds swirled and jinked high above me.

I finally heard my dad take a couple of shots, closer behind me than I expected, so I turned to have a look if he was making his way towards me. A solitary bird got up from its hidden resting place as my footstep snapped a twig, and I connected well enough to send It tumbling and the dog leapt into action.

Father reported very little action at his end and suggested we call it a day as he was frustrated with his luck. I had a fumble in my pocket and counting 5 shells left, and 3 in the gun I suggested we give it 5 more minutes. 

I shouldn't have bothered as we didn't see anything else. I think from the birds eye view, things looked very different in the wood and the wary pigeons were treating it with some suspicion. I will give things another go next week, but I'm hoping this blasted wind hasn't changed my old faithful shooting spot for the worse. We were first back to the yard, and deposited the meagre haul for the keeper to take down to the game dealer later, and made our way home. 5 birds for around 15 shots, a frustrating afternoon, but I'd rather be there than anywhere else. 

Last week I took the laser range finder out and pinged some the marks where I'd been snotting the most pigeons.

Was surprised to find what I thought was 45y was in fact closer to 35y.

So, went out today choked 1/4 & 1/4 and had a fab day.

Used 1/2 & 3/4 weeks ago and now realise I was shooting cricket balls at them.😲