Another roosting report

kitchrat

Apologies to adzyvilla, who beat me to roost-report this week but I hope my antics will entertain!

Had a great roost shoot last night, 1000's had been feeding on nearby fields, newly drilled with beans. I have permission to shoot in a very large wood, of huge beech, scots pine and oak trees, which I estimate are 40+ yards high. I too put about 500 birds out on arrival, at 1.55 (I'm keen!) The birds swirl about well over trees in the very high winds, coming from all directions (usually the one behind you! but mainly from the feeding grounds.) The trees are making ominous creaking noises, beech has a reputation for snapping suddenly..

My plan was to find a decent opening in the trees, which have quite dense upper branches, especially the pine with its needles which make a good roost in high winds. You can get SOME idea of approaching birds through the lower branches when they are well away, so the excitement mounts. They are VERY aware of the situation and will flare away in a split second if they see you. So I am concealed in the undergrowth as best I can, with my gillie suit jacket and facemask on, gun mounted ready when I see them approaching in the near distance. They burst into my "window", for a second or two. I only shoot at stuff which is right in my wheelhouse as there is not enough time to judge what is happening and make large adjustments on anything else. There are plenty of birds about, speculative shots just scares them more and wastes ammo - a wild young boy could have had 200 shots! Plus my worn out old body doesn't move that fast anymore. This is really tricky stuff!! I use 34gm #5 shot in the 1/4 choke and 36gm #4 in the 1/2 choke barrel for the higher stuff. This works quite well, I down 25 birds for about 50 shots. They are so high that when you nail one, it hits the ground so hard its crop often bursts open, there should be a good crop of beans in the wood this year! 

Brilliant evening!

When will be the next time we have a 5-Saturday February?? Answers on a postcard please!!

Cheers,

Kitchrat

Great report Kitchrat.

25 for 50 shots is very good going in those conditions. 

Many of us on here know exactly what you mean by the body not moving very fast, but that doesn't detract from our enthusiasm one bit.

Many thanks for posting.

OB

9 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yet another good report, thank you.:good:

Perhaps in order to get your report in first you could take an electronic device with you and write "live" from the woods.

Perhaps the electronic device should be a pacemaker!! I don't have a fancy phone, and then I would need my glasses on to type.... No, maybe not!

Didn't shoot well today, over some played-out mashed maize, the wind was playing me up (Not me personally!) Plus I missed the few sitters I did have. Still, another 30 in the bag.