"Mad mike Hughes" Death

ditchman

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

I don’t admire him. Just like I don’t admire other morons who get themselves killed doing stupid things. 

What’s admirable about it? 

Quite. On almost every level, he's failed as a member of his species:

He's trying to prove something that's wrong, because he won't listen to people who know better. He then built something so badly that it literally blew up in his face and killed him. The only thing you can say is at least he didn't kill anyone else. His friends and family will go on about how he died doing something he loved, but I bet if they were honest, they'd rather have him around to love and share life with than him blowing up doing what he loved. I love a good nutter as much as the next person, but wiping yourself out trying to prove a myth is pretty stupid.

2 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

He done evolution a favour. 

Darwin Award coming his way. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Quite. On almost every level, he's failed as a member of his species:

He's trying to prove something that's wrong, because he won't listen to people who know better. He then built something so badly that it literally blew up in his face and killed him. The only thing you can say is at least he didn't kill anyone else. His friends and family will go on about how he died doing something he loved, but I bet if they were honest, they'd rather have him around to love and share life with than him blowing up doing what he loved. I love a good nutter as much as the next person, but wiping yourself out trying to prove a myth is pretty stupid.

Darwin Award coming his way. 

Flat earth aside, I don’t think he intended to kill himself, the return parachute malfunctioned on take off.

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Flat earth aside, I don’t think he intended to kill himself, the return parachute malfunctioned on take off.

Rocket science, like brain surgery, is probably best left to the professionals. Accidents happen, of course,  but you don't have to increase their chances of being fatal! No reserve shoot? No ejector seat? He was a gonna in the first second of his launch when the shoot failed. no ability to abort and glide, just 'oh dear, well that's me dead then.' And got to nowhere near the  height he'd need to prove himself wrong. 

1 minute ago, clangerman said:

just looked him up jumping a stretch limo building a rocket he’s definitely not a sheep eccentric rules go that man 

Not any more.

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

Rocket science, like brain surgery, is probably best left to the professionals. Accidents happen, of course,  but you don't have to increase their chances of being fatal! No reserve shoot? No ejector seat? He was a gonna in the first second of his launch when the shoot failed. no ability to abort and glide, just 'oh dear, well that's me dead then.' And got to nowhere near the  height he'd need to prove himself wrong. 

Not any more.

Risk taker, mad yes, bit like the early pioneers of aviation.   

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Risk taker, mad yes, bit like the early pioneers of aviation.   

There was a point to that. No one had said flight was physically impossible. Technically impossible for the day, maybe, but not physically impossible. I'd  have some sympathy if he was trying to develop something revolutionary, something that would move civilisation forward, or explore something altogether new. But to ignore every single (real) scientist in the world, every airline company, every government, and almost every single one of the 7 billion people in the world and try and do something at which you'd failed several times before? That's just empty-headed. If he'd killed himself in his limo stunt, I'd have more sympathy.

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

There was a point to that. No one had said flight was physically impossible. Technically impossible for the day, maybe, but not physically impossible. I'd  have some sympathy if he was trying to develop something revolutionary, something that would move civilisation forward, or explore something altogether new. But to ignore every single (real) scientist in the world, every airline company, every government, and almost every single one of the 7 billion people in the world and try and do something at which you'd failed several times before? That's just empty-headed. If he'd killed himself in his limo stunt, I'd have more sympathy.

Hopefully he died happy!

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I don’t admire him. Just like I don’t admire other morons who get themselves killed doing stupid things. 

What’s admirable about it? 

Without people like him there would no movement forward when you look at people who have taken the challenge sometimes to be proven right sometimes to be wrong but with out belief that you have mankind will not move on 

2 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Without people like him there would no movement forward when you look at people who have taken the challenge sometimes to be proven right sometimes to be wrong but with out belief that you have mankind will not move on 

Get off it :lol: 

Mankind will be better off without... move forward? More like move backwards. 

2 minutes ago, The Heron said:

But he didn’t seek to ‘move on’; he was trying to disprove something which had been proven beyond all doubt, and was common knowledge! Like Islandgun said; if he believed the earth was flat he could have just travelled to the edge! 

The thing I'm taking from this is it will only reinforce the stupidity of some of his followers and most of the rest of the tinfoil hat crowd. They will now be saying he was murdered to prevent the truth getting out.

I wouldn't be surprised if it leaked out that he had a terminal illness and rather than suffer he decided to go out with a bang. Bet it made a heck of a bang on that flat bit of earth he rattled in to.

Edited by Rob85
Spelling

The whole flat earth thing is just nuts. I simply cannot understand their rationale for it other than being a few sandwichs short of a picnic and liking a bit of a laugh. You don't have to go to any height to prove it's false, the sea will do. Boats in the distance don't just get smaller, they actually disappear over the horizon, something that cannot happen unless the earth was round. Why don't they accept this? 

Satellites,  satellite imagery, people on the moon, space station going round the earth, Hubble telescope. The list is endless. 

To be fair to the guy though, a steam powered rocket is totally bonkers, at least he was creative and no one else got hurt. 

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

The whole flat earth thing is just nuts.

Satellites,  satellite imagery, people on the moon, space station going round the earth, Hubble telescope. The list is endless.

Proof if ever it was needed that it's all a massive conspiracy! .

To be fair to the guy though, a steam powered rocket is totally bonkers, at least he was creative and no one else got hurt. 

Yep , he had a whale of a time , and only killed himself.  Any man that will attempt to launch himself into space , with duct tape holding his helmet together , and using  poundland walkie talkies,  is a hero in my book 😆