Lead ban & BASC

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter.123 said:

People are saying on Facebook it’s leaked information that it’s voluntary ban, surly not one of us believes it’s a good idea? People are also saying cancel the basc membership as it’s seems they are doing nothing for us?? 

There needs to be a mass walkout. 

We had a conversation last night on our syndicate about steel, plastic wads are banned due to the sheep. The viable alternative to lead is just not there yet. We are between a rock and a hard place. In 2/3 years I am sure there will be a solution. Any policy needs to be set with a reasonable transition period, say 5 years.

Edited by WalkedUp

4 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

We had a conversation last night on our syndicate about steel, plastic wads are banned due to the sheep. The viable alternative to lead is just not there yet. We are between a rock and a hard place. In 2/3 years I am sure there will be a solution. Any policy needs to be set with a reasonable transition period, say 5 years.

What can you imagine is going to be different in 2/3 years from today? 

1 hour ago, andrewluke said:

the last couple of Basc magazines have been telling us how steel is a good alternative for lead after saying the opposite for years

I have also heard the rumours and this is whats annoying me. 

They've been defending lead then as soon as one of their main sponsors produced the Ecowad they're now suddenly pro steel. The magazine is virtually one big Eley Hawk advert.

I defend BASC over a lot of the work they do but this smells very very fishy to me.

Ring BASC and ask which steel loads we should use. I can guess the answer!!

WR.

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

It’s entirely up to the landowner of course, but every landowner I’ve asked says plastic wads don’t effect sheep at all. There are two farmers in our syndicate and they both, and me, bought 3000 Lyalvale Express Pigeon Power cartridges between us as they were ridiculously cheap, and have plastic wads. We have used them on syndicate days.

The only objection one farmer had against plastic wads was that ‘they look messy ‘ in large quantities, as he observed on a syndicate day out to Westlands. 

Edited by Scully
Omission.

Irrespective of what there going to recommend for us to shoot in the future 

I personally feel this is very bad form ALL members should have been informed and or consulted before it was released 

if it was leaked by a member of staff they should be instantly dismissed for gross negligence 

If it’s true and they are proposing a voluntary ban for their members it wouldn’t affect their non members 

personally think the plastic is considerably more of a problem than the lead 

the organisation should look at the whole picture and get a proper alternative into place before they ASK THERE MEMBERS there views on a voluntary ban 

42 minutes ago, Scully said:

It’s entirely up to the landowner of course, but every landowner I’ve asked says plastic wads don’t effect sheep at all. There are two farmers in our syndicate and they both, and me, bought 3000 Lyalvale Express Pigeon Power cartridges between us as they were ridiculously cheap. We have used them in syndicate days.

The only objection one farmer had against plastic wads was that ‘they look messy ‘ in large quantities, as he observed on a syndicate day out to Westlands. 

I shoot plastic wad on all other shoots, which is why it came up for review. I proposed removing the plastic wad ban. The two farmers in the syndicate (one a sheep farmer) objected to plastic wads, and as the land owners have been sniffy I can only bow to the farmers’ expertise. Sheep spend their lives looking to find new an elaborate ways to die. From the thousands 1 demented sheep with 1 wad could cause us trouble. Anyway, back to topic : lead...

Well its good by to shooting for a lot of us with  classic  s x s guns.

I am regularly on ground where lead shot has been discharged for 1200 years (at least)  I see numerous song birds, squirrels, deer, rabbits on occasion. 

At 79 I have been eating lead shot game all my life and still healthy and active.  Where is the problem other than over wetlands?

Ita another nail in shooting's coffin if you ask me.

Blackpowder