Lead ban & BASC

What concerns me is if this does happen tomorrow and BASC does announce a voluntary ban in effect it will not just be aimed at its membership but all shooters thus bringing them under the one umbrella. One has to ask is this their intention. Say BASC in full out loud And then do the same with WAGBI. Which one sounds as though it has its members at heart and which one not.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, clangerman said:

there is no benefit is being dictated to by idiots this all came  from the antis in the first place 

No, but there’s more than one way to skin a cat! And I would sooner do something voluntarily, under my terms, rather than be compelled to do it on someone else’s.

I don’t like it anymore than anyone else, but I recognise the writing has been on the wall for lead shot for some years! Yes, the antis, amongst others, have latched onto exposed and publicised the toxicity of lead shot, for their own reasons, but you can’t argue with the science.....nor will the government!

17 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

No, but there’s more than one way to skin a cat! And I would sooner do something voluntarily, under my terms, rather than be compelled to do it on someone else’s.

I don’t like it anymore than anyone else, but I recognise the writing has been on the wall for lead shot for some years! Yes, the antis, amongst others, have latched onto exposed and publicised the toxicity of lead shot, for their own reasons, but you can’t argue with the science.....nor will the government!

we do everything on other people’s terms that’s why we are now going to be using steel shortly if we like it or not 

As soon as this is published I will be cancelling my BASC and NGO subscriptions and taking out a new subscription with CPSA (for 2 reasons. 1 - they are not part of this and 2 - clay pigeon shooters don’t shoot in the countryside so they don’t need to stop - apparently). 

I think this has been coming for a while. The amount of pro steel articles in all the magazines, on line, the relentless promotion of steel shot by the organisations leaves me in no doubt. I do wonder why they have chosen to go for this now, with a shooting man (George eustace) in the hot seat at defra and a traditionally pro shooting Conservative government in for the next five years. Maybe they know something we don't? I know there is a Europe wide push to ban lead shot, and similar moves in the states, so that is the way things are going, but the timing of such a move will have a deeper significance, if as the rumours are true all the organisations are behind this. The conspiracy theorist in me has often thought that BASC policy has been off the rails for a while and they had been infiltrated by shady types intent on ruining them from the inside any way they can, but if all of the orgs are in on this, that can't be right. 

What will now happen is people will still use lead on live quarry and get caught out giving the anti's another stick to beat us with. Ive never been a member of any shooting organisation like BASC and if this comes to pass i never will be. Maybe they are looking for money from cartridge manufacturers through sponsorship or something "recommended by BASC" on the labels or something. What I can see happening is them losing their members and a rival group organisation starting.

Edited by Rob85
Spelling

Death by a thousand cuts has never been more relevant. Well, this is more like a gaping wound.

I can see it now amongst the anti brigade       

'ooo look, they've rolled over and given up lead without too much of a fight, let's really poke at them and see what else we can get'. 

It's got nothing to do with the 'effect' on the environment, anyone would be a fool to think otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Death by a thousand cuts has never been more relevant. Well, this is more like a gaping wound.

I can see it now amongst the anti brigade       

'ooo look, they've rolled over and given up lead without too much of a fight, let's really poke at them and see what else we can get'. 

It's got nothing to do with the 'effect' on the environment, anyone would be a fool to think otherwise.

Its nothing to do with the environment as you say, Lead is a bad word its time for it to go it seems. I just do not see it being a problem. BASC will have their reasons if indeed they want any action with us not using lead voluntary. Wait and see what happens first, in the GL fiasco. the same old BASC bashing was going on by much the same people. again WAIT lets get the facts see what is going on then start moaning.

I knowc this much steel is not lead, but it gets the job done and this kid will still be out there wildfowling partridge shooting grouse shooting  pigeon shooting and foxing if lead goes.

3 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Lead comes from the ground and is returned to the ground for centuries. The representatives have sold us down the river, I recommend you all to cancel with BASC, CA. etc. A new NRA style British alternative is coming soon and will be available to actually represent British Shooters! 

cancelling my sacs membership first thing tomorrow any new shooting organisation springs up gets my money no way can they do worse than what we have now 

1 minute ago, Perazzishot said:

Lead comes from the ground and is returned to the ground for centuries. The representatives have sold us down the river, I recommend you all to cancel with BASC, CA. etc. A new NRA style British alternative is coming soon and will be available to actually represent British Shooters! 

If we dig a few 300 foot holes drive the birds down the holes and shoot them on the way down., then yes it will work well.:good:

Watch your second suggestion not happen.

We wait open mouthed for the latter.