Lead ban & BASC

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

More total ****. 

Total ****? Really, where are these affordable alternatives then? What's your solution for vintage and lever action rifles, that can only shoot cast lead?

Oh yeah, Lehigh Defense for the 17hh, over twice the price per box 100. Thanks, but no thanks.

Edited by mick miller

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Has anyone ever used one of these BASC Car discounts and was it a better deal than they could cut for themselves? How many members actually even buy a new car each year?

Yet we get several pages in the magazine every month devoted to them.

as far as I know, yes they do, I know members who have got very good discounts on new vehicles through the BASC schemes.

Captainhastings,

thank you for posting the video, they did not fire many cartridges, but in a very cheap gun with home loads then may be why not, but could not see the commercial cartridge manufactures risking the financial claims that could arise from many years and thousands of cartridges being fired like that.

Edited by rbrowning2

1 minute ago, johnnytheboy said:

That would have been the sensible thing to do, to get us onside then make the move

currently this is just bullying 

they were never going to get the membership onside, too many are absolutely wedded to sticking with the status quo. Consult as much as they wanted, the membership would never go with it. A waste of time and effort plus giving the antis more opportunities to exploit any weakness.

3 hours ago, mick miller said:

It will be soon. The green light is on now and the horse waaaay down the field running free.

Bang on!! BASC have screwed us all over, not only have they opened the stable door, they have slapped the horse on the ****, smashed down the support teams and set fire to the barn! 

5 minutes ago, scolopax said:

they were never going to get the membership onside, too many are absolutely wedded to sticking with the status quo. Consult as much as they wanted, the membership would never go with it. A waste of time and effort plus giving the antis more opportunities to exploit any weakness.

Agreed but it would have been worth a try to retain the members 

what happens when the masses loose faith 

trump

brexit

potential downfall of basc 

Just now, scolopax said:

That was my conclusion as well; however IF (and there seem different versions) they didn't consult the cartridge makers, gunmakers etc ......... that was a big mistake ans seems to me either very negligent .......... or very arrogant. 

Absolutely key to making any voluntary 'ban' work will be ensuring there is a workable alternative available (for virtually all users) at a sensible cost.  For that the cartridge makers are an essential player.

In a toss up between lead shot and big bag, commercial game shooting I'd rather see the demise of commercial game shooting myself. No one here (on this farm) sells game to the EU, everyone takes them home and eats them themselves. Mind you, they also don't expect to be able to blatt hundreds of birds from the sky with a loader beside them, all in the name of 'sport'. I can see who BASC et al clearly favour with their choices and it isn't the air rifle shooter, deer stalker, target shooter, clay shooter, pigeon shooter, vermin shooter, practical shotgun shooter or small walked up game shooter...

Oh, the glorious twelfth will soon be here again, now where did I put my branded Schoffel gilet and the keys to my Range Rover?

Edited by mick miller

13 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Agree but they should have at the very least got the cartridge industry onside and may be the trade in general.

12 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Have you ever thought that a membership organisation ought to reflect the views of its members? Or should they just take our £70 a year and ignore us? Perhaps if a phasing out of lead shot wasn't supported by the majority and there was no concensus of scientific opinion as to whether the environmental concerns are valid, they shouldn't have pushed for it. Insinuating as you are that being wedded to the status quo is some sort of negative or backwards isn't very helpful. There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience in the membership of an organisation like basc, maybe we should have had a say? Probably wouldn't have worked out any worse. Certainly a lot of opportunity for antis to exploit weakness in the current mess. 

And as if we (who are not enthralled/blind) couldn't have seen it coming...
https://www.league.org.uk/blog/shooting-lobby-admits-to-lying?fbclid=IwAR1CqOZU6ND_IDk6R7hDtVPxYR8NaLkmUt1mXgsm-jfvLN5XUIZ4CFZ2ios

Dusty old men, with dusty old views, making dusty decisions in a pathetically desperate attempt to preserve the indefensible.

Edited by mick miller

18 minutes ago, mick miller said:

And as if we (who are not enthralled/blind) couldn't have seen it coming...
https://www.league.org.uk/blog/shooting-lobby-admits-to-lying?fbclid=IwAR1CqOZU6ND_IDk6R7hDtVPxYR8NaLkmUt1mXgsm-jfvLN5XUIZ4CFZ2ios

Dusty old men, with dusty old views, making dusty decisions in a pathetically desperate attempt to preserve the indefensible.

indefensible...by that I presume using lead for live quarry shooting ?

2 hours ago, grahamch said:

Not a good idea to go for an sgm. We need to pull together to sort this and not factionalise or have witch hunts or the Packham **** and his cohorts will be all over us. Wasn't just BASC who made a monumental cock up

Agreed - I think this'll be a right kick up the ****. To be honest I feel like they may have been pushed - something behind the scenes must have happened.