Lead ban & BASC

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, mick miller said:

And as if we (who are not enthralled/blind) couldn't have seen it coming...
https://www.league.org.uk/blog/shooting-lobby-admits-to-lying?fbclid=IwAR1CqOZU6ND_IDk6R7hDtVPxYR8NaLkmUt1mXgsm-jfvLN5XUIZ4CFZ2ios

Dusty old men, with dusty old views, making dusty decisions to preserve the undefendable...

Exactly why the shooting organisations need to be on top of  their game 

3 minutes ago, Papercase said:

Agreed - I think this'll be a right kick up the ****. To be honest I feel like they may have been pushed - something behind the scenes must have happened. 

when they ALL finished hiding from the fire somebody needs to own up for the decision this did not happen on its own i’m outraged sacs is trying to pass the buck a piece of my mind is heading their way shortly 

@David BASC

I know you have been reading this, but not commenting. 

I really think you (and all main staff) need to resign and walk away.   This is a mess, of a mess, of a mess.   You lot are done (or remain hanging on like Corbyn. REALLY?)

Use (our money) aka the fighting fund to bring NRA staff over for the the USA to take control of BASC.

Can it be done?  

You lot,  threw away your employment rights 5 days ago. If you think you didn’t, you are simply ‘slugs’ milking us all....

David? Thoughts.....

57 minutes ago, Papercase said:

Agreed - I think this'll be a right kick up the ****. To be honest I feel like they may have been pushed - something behind the scenes must have happened. 

********!!

Its an organisation to represent the views of the members. They have grown too big for their own boots. 

A very good chance someone has had a back hander from a big steel cartridge producer. 

The organisations are already shouting that they were told the cartridge manufacturers were on-board. 

The cartridge manufacturers are shouting that none of them were consulted. 

Someone has had a big back hander and messed this all up. 

HEADS MUST ROLL!!

41 minutes ago, markm said:

@David BASC

I know you have been reading this, but not commenting. 

I really think you (and all main staff) need to resign and walk away.   This is a mess, of a mess, of a mess.   You lot are done (or remain hanging on like Corbyn. REALLY?)

Use (our money) aka the fighting fund to bring NRA staff over for the the USA to take control of BASC.

Can it be done?  

You lot,  threw away your employment rights 5 days ago. If you think you didn’t, you are simply ‘slugs’ milking us all....

David? Thoughts.....

How old are you. 12 ? no 13 surely. 

27 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

How old are you. 12 ? no 13 surely. 

What’s your problem with what he said? 

A shooting organisation that’s supposed to represent its members, have not consulted with members, told other organisations that cartridge manufacturers have been consulted (when they have not) and announced a “voluntary” ban on lead shot, whilst being paid by certain steel shot cartridge producers. 

It’s an absolute shambles and disgrace, the people in charge should be sacked!!!

40 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

********!!

Its an organisation to represent the views of the members. They have grown too big for their own boots. 

A very good chance someone has had a back hander from a big steel cartridge producer. 

The organisations are already shouting that they were told the cartridge manufacturers were on-board. 

The cartridge manufacturers are shouting that none of them were consulted. 

Someone has had a big back hander and messed this all up. 

HEADS MUST ROLL!!

I'd imagine most likely that through the back channels of government they have been told that the position on lead is untenable - laws will be coming in and you can either work with it at a steady rate or it'll be legislated. After everything with general licences - nothing is set in stone, the rug can be pulled from underneath in not time at all. I would imagine this would be needed pull all of those organisations together. 

Heads will roll? - this isn't a witch hunt, the ends don't justify the means.

4 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

I was in one of the UKs biggest gunshops and I listened to an interesting argument, that we all should fight a lead shot ban, for as long as possible, the reasoning presented behind that was that the ordinary working man who shoots now and again might not be able to afford a steel proofed gun and that the day a lead shot ban arrives it’s only the more affluent members of the community that can afford to take part. Then as a general rule of thumb it’s easier for the general public to put pressure on us as it’s a class vote, it become like fox hunting, the general public are just voting against posh ***** in their perception! 

Seems like a reasonable argument! 

Then today I get an email offering BASC discount on a £50000 Maserati 

Where is the working man in all this? 

Pretty much ANY shooting man can afford a steel proofed gun. If he can't, then that probably means he is struggling to put food on the table. Anyway, as I have said countless times before, a steel proofed gun is not necessarily required to use steel cartridges.

6 minutes ago, AULD YIN said:

SACS wishes to clarify that it is our understanding that cartridge manufacturers were consulted on the proposed five-year

This part of SACS  reply makes me wonder ,were they part of the consultation  or were they told that there had  a consultation ,if so by whom

I think you are right, also i think we are giving way too much credence to the initial response from the cartridge manufacturers . After the event"Announcement of the voluntary ban on lead in live quarry / plaswads etc" . .

4 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

I would be surprised if even all the UK cartridge manufactures  combined together they would have the resources to create a biodegradable plastic wad, bioammo the new Spanish company need an 8 million euro grant to get up and running, express accounts showed their operating profits were 29.2% down last year. It could be many years of R&D to create the correct plastic and they would start from scratch they are cartridge manufactures not scientists working in the world of plastics.  Not even the wad manufactures like B&P or Gualandi have achieved it yet. Hence why they say they are hopping the plastics industry in general crack the problem.

Well, no, they wouldn't be creating the correct plastic wad. It wouldn't BE plastic!

I firmly believe that firms are already well underway with developments of new wads. It can't be that much of a secret what the ingredients etc are in Eley's wads.

10 minutes ago, Papercase said:

I'd imagine most likely that through the back channels of government they have been told that the position on lead is untenable - laws will be coming in and you can either work with it at a steady rate or it'll be legislated. After everything with general licences - nothing is set in stone, the rug can be pulled from underneath in not time at all. I would imagine this would be needed pull all of those organisations together. 

Heads will roll? - this isn't a witch hunt, the ends don't justify the means.

Exactly . there as been some reason for this, that we may or may never get to know.

1 minute ago, motty said:

Well, no, they wouldn't be creating the correct plastic wad. It wouldn't BE plastic!

I firmly believe that firms are already well underway with developments of new wads. It can't be that much of a secret what the ingredients etc are in Eley's wads.

Lets face it what exactly is wrong with the fibre cups? Will need improving re strength perhaps and could be increased production could bring down prices from their current price. But £14 a 100 is not that far off some current steel wads RSI for instance. I still buy them at those prices .

15 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I think you are right, also i think we are giving way too much credence to the initial response from the cartridge manufacturers . After the event"Announcement of the voluntary ban on lead in live quarry / plaswads etc" . .

My point is, somebody is lying  BASC  ,the  cartridge manufacturers ,and if SACS  was not part of the consultation was any other orgs  that BASC  listed there?

Has any member of the other orgs  had an email or is it only SACS members?

Edited by AULD YIN
add on info

2 minutes ago, AULD YIN said:

My point is, somebody is lying  BASC  ,the  cartridge manufacturers ,and if SACS  was not part of the consultation was any other orgs  that BASC  listed there?

We have ALL of those shooting orgs issuing that statement earlier in the week. Now we get ALL the cartridge companies saying they were not consulted.

Too MANY ALLs for my liking.

27 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Lets face it what exactly is wrong with the fibre cups? Will need improving re strength perhaps and could be increased production could bring down prices from their current price. But £14 a 100 is not that far off some current steel wads RSI for instance. I still buy them at those prices .

The fibre cups aren't particularly good. Not many wildfowlers (that i know of) use them.

However, they could well be improved.

Edited by motty

5 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

We have ALL of those shooting orgs issuing that statement earlier in the week. Now we get ALL the cartridge companies saying they were not consulted.

Too MANY ALLs for my liking.

This is the email i got today and  this is the one i asked if  any other members has the same email from their orgs

appsuite

SACS CLARIFICATION STATEMENT
ON LEAD SHOT

Dear SACS Member,

Following the cartridge manufacturer's joint statement today, SACS wishes to clarify that it is our understanding that cartridge manufacturers were consulted on the proposed five-year transition from lead shot in live quarry shooting with shotguns.

Please find below our full clarification statement.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact SACS Director Alex Stoddart on 07879 550750.

Best wishes,
The SACS Team