Lead ban & BASC

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

i asked how do you know he was using a reload???

I did not want to say this. but you are forcing my hand . RANGE.

GEDIT? .

Now you know exactly what is going to happen don’t you. :shifty:

21 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I have absolutely nothing to thank them for, as I said before quite the opposite in my opinion

gatherer that its not like you just sprang this on us is it. .

Talk going around on Facebook that it’s been leaked that BASC have made a big deal with the British Game Alliance, to supply lead free game to Waitrose in a multi-million pound deal. 

Apparently on companies house, you can already see that BASC have a charging order to the BGA for £100,000... 

What for? 

SO BASC get paid shooters get paid for birds rather than land filling them. and Waitrose get the Marketable game they want. And this gives shooters a reason to release manage and harvest a cash resource or healthy meat to its willing buyer BGA/ Waitrose.  A thanks to BASC. ?

17 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

SO BASC get paid shooters get paid for birds rather than land filling them. and Waitrose get the Marketable game they want. And this gives shooters a reason to release manage and harvest a cash resource or healthy meat to its willing buyer BGA/ Waitrose.  A thanks to BASC. ?

Shooters won’t get paid for them, most shooters take birds home to eat. Your referencing to big commercial shoots.  

How will big commercial shoots all of a sudden be able to sell their big bags, if the move over to steel will be the end of big bag shoots? 

Besides, the bigger issue is BASC going off to fill their own pockets at the expensive of the members they’re supposed to represent. 

If it has happened as suggested and you don’t see an issue with it I’m shocked. 

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

Shooters won’t get paid for them, most shooters take birds home to eat. Your referencing to big commercial shoots.  

How will big commercial shoots all of a sudden be able to sell their big bags, if the move over to steel will be the end of big bag shoots? 

Besides, the bigger issue is BASC going off to fill their own pockets at the expensive of the members they’re supposed to represent. 

If it has happened as suggested and you don’t see an issue with it I’m shocked. 

i have two large shoot owners who one assure me we will still have the same piles of game using steel and two if it could be sold basc would be telling shoot owners to put more birds down so shoots can cash in and they have not plus if anyone thinks the public will rush to buy game try asking the public 

17 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

For a set price across the board Negotiated before the start of the season No rejects, no come backs. I’ve been in farming for 40+ years and have heard it all before, we’ll have your commodity, then when the market is over supplied they find any excuse not to take it and if they do we are only paying £xxx now take it or leave it, then take 970 tonnes of 1000 and take the last 30 5 months later so they don’t have pay until the last load has gone. Boring I know but it’s the reality of dealing with supermarkets. 

1 minute ago, lancer425 said:

So where are we now then exactly?

What is the way ahead. in your opinions. ?

wish i knew mate but until the public accept even partly our message they won’t touch the stuff plus the supermarkets would never go against public opinion as usual shooting organisations failed to do their homework 

14 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

For a set price across the board Negotiated before the start of the season No rejects, no come backs. I’ve been in farming for 40+ years and have heard it all before, we’ll have your commodity, then when the market is over supplied they find any excuse not to take it and if they do we are only paying £xxx now take it or leave it, then take 970 tonnes of 1000 and take the last 30 5 months later so they don’t have pay until the last load has gone. Boring I know but it’s the reality of dealing with supermarkets. 

Supermarkets are a nightmare but they are rife in the U.K. Far too big for their boots. 

We are currently abroad In Cyprus and the number of family owned and run businesses is massive. 

Small time butchers, fish mongers, Family farms, fruit and veg shops, a lot of suppliers direct to shops and restaurants and they are small family run organisations. 

I commented tonight that almost every single restaurant we walk into has provided a very good standard meal. 
I often get annoyed going out for a meal back home as the standard is often so low. 

BASC would be better off coming up with ways to provide game to places like small restaurants, charities that do food for homeless etc. 

4 minutes ago, clangerman said:

wish i knew mate but until the public accept even partly our message they won’t touch the stuff plus the supermarkets would never go against public opinion as usual shooting organisations failed to do their homework 

What message is this?

The orgs sugest a lead ban they are wrong. they get a game deal again its wrong or wont work.

Steel wont work. We can not get this done say the cartridge firms when we all know they can and others are proving it. Game shootings under the spotlight on releasing. this deal has impact there . but even that wont work.

Not kidding you there is just no pleasing some folk.

Just now, lancer425 said:

What message is this?

The orgs sugest a lead ban they are wrong. they get a game deal again its wrong or wont work.

Steel wont work. We can not get this done say the cartridge firms when we all know they can and others are proving it. Game shootings under the spotlight on releasing. this deal has impact there . but even that wont work.

Not kidding you there is just no pleasing some folk.

that shooting is a acceptable way to obtain food they have been brain washed by the antis so long they believe it now i live on the edge of a massive estate and i can’t give game away let alone sell it 

18 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

So where are we now then exactly?

What is the way ahead. in your opinions. ?

As said before the game dealer hold the cards, don’t go for the easy dollar, because it isn’t. As Lloyd 90 said small regular markets. I’ll be the first to say farmers don’t help themselves, mass produced food is easy and cheap, easily over supplied. My advice would be don’t go all in with one or to markets spread your risk one hopefully will always be there.

So we do not have an ANSWER just WELL lots of BAD NEWS?

We can not just do NOTHING. Steel is good Old lad there DC himself said that .

The wad issue is not ideal, but they are out there might prove ok, i can not comment i never used any.

We got a PLAN from BASC and others . Like it or not its a sugestion we can look at and do no harm to anybody in trying non tox inn our live shooting.

Those that have not tried it already why not do what was sugested and go and try some say on your pigeons. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

After all we do not have a plan ourselves do we so whats to do. ?

GO on you know it makes sense.

8 hours ago, lancer425 said:

I thought this was all about the EU? Which lie is which? 

Edited by mick miller

7 hours ago, lancer425 said:

We can not get this done say the cartridge firms when we all know they can and others are proving it. 

They are proving it in a niche way, relatively small quantise of expensive 12gauge cartridges only, if you think this is so easy and the cartridge manufactures are holding back why don’t you put your money or basc money into setting up your own cartridge loading business and let’s see where you are in five years time, boom or bust.

The orgs suggesting a lead ban is not wrong the way they have gone about it is wrong, it should have been the large commercial shoots that sell the game first and then rolled out as the cartridge industry increases its capacity and investment to deliver the numbers and choice of cartridges required for a total move away from lead for live quarry shooting.

Edited by rbrowning2