Lead ban & BASC

14 minutes ago, clangerman said:

people can read your the one calling me a liar people raising birds in rat infested pens are none of my business until i’m called a liar unlike you i can justify my sport farmers ask for the pigeons to go i get rid of them no raising birds in rat infested pens for me our biggest problem with the public is game shooting i put up with your sport causing me problems you need me i don’t need you 

Shooting needs you like I need a hole in the head! If you can’t substantiate your ridiculous claims then don’t post them. 
What ‘rat infested pens’ has to do with ‘stinking piles of unwanted game ‘ I have no idea. 
If you can show me the evidence of stinking unwanted piles of game then start another thread...I’ll come out to play! 👍🙂

Edited by Scully

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

We shot 47 hares in one day on one farm many years ago. Nobody wanted them so we took them to a local chicken processing plant and they were processed into pet food. They were unwanted by the landowner, unwanted by us, and basically unwanted by the processing plant unless we accepted a pittance, which we did. 
The annoying thing was, that the lad who had the job of taking them to the plant after we’d rung round, stopped for fags on his way and left them on display in the back of his pick up.  
It didn’t make the local rags thankfully, but the rumours that went round were rife and varied. I had many a long winded argument with various folk over a long period who had heard the rumours of hares being dumped from the backs of pick ups.

The truth of the matter is that many many shoots can’t handle ALL the game they’d shoot, that doesn’t mean ( as someone has stupidly implied ) that ‘we’ see stinking piles of unwanted game each season. Someone always wants it eventually, which they wouldn’t if in fact they were stinking. 

as your going to persist with the personal insults mate maybe it’s time i supported a ban on game shooting would you like that it’s not a problem crop protection will always be needed it won’t affect me 

On 13/03/2020 at 10:12, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thanks to post, interesting they only advise half choke maximum with standard steel, and HV if i read correct, anyway its some years away if lead will be completely banned so plenty of time for most shooters to sort out their shotguns, more important the cartridge manufactures getting their act together and making what steel shot cartridges are required

You have read it wrong.

38 minutes ago, clangerman said:

as your going to persist with the personal insults mate maybe it’s time i supported a ban on game shooting would you like that it’s not a problem crop protection will always be needed it won’t affect me 

Yeah, go for it. With your grasp of facts I’ve no doubt it’ll be a huge success! 👍

10 minutes ago, clangerman said:

you got it mate one less is one less your sport will be the first to go 

I really try and avoid this conversation but I can't honestly believe that you believe that's acceptable? 

We don't all have to agree on every single point but that sort of attitude will be the end of shooting full stop.

Pest control will be down to professionals, not the average bloke trying to help a local farmer out. 

Like @Scully I'd also like to see proof of these piles of unwanted birds, we are all ambassadors of our sport and should be speaking up if we see something we know isn't right. 

1 minute ago, Farmboy91 said:

I really try and avoid this conversation but I can't honestly believe that you believe that's acceptable? 

We don't all have to agree on every single point but that sort of attitude will be the end of shooting full stop.

Pest control will be down to professionals, not the average bloke trying to help a local farmer out. 

Like @Scully I'd also like to see proof of these piles of unwanted birds, we are all ambassadors of our sport and should be speaking up if we see something we know isn't right. 

if all i get in return for supporting game shooting is people calling me a liar i would be a fool to continue i personally seen the birds in his pick up truck why would he lie to me? there is no need to call me a liar 

3 minutes ago, clangerman said:

if all i get in return for supporting game shooting is people calling me a liar i would be a fool to continue i personally seen the birds in his pick up truck why would he lie to me? there is no need to call me a liar 

If something's going on, which we all know shouldn't be, not saying anything isn't supporting game shooting? Turning a blind eye does no one any favours. 

2 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

If something's going on, which we all know shouldn't be, not saying anything isn't supporting game shooting? Turning a blind eye does no one any favours. 

i see nothing wrong in giving unwanted game away it’s still used as for what goes on i like to mind my own business until i’m called a liar 

18 minutes ago, clangerman said:

But you HAVEN'T supported game shooting! Are you for real? You’re the one claiming game shooting is rife with ‘stinky piles of unwanted game!’ If that’s your idea of supporting game shooting then do us all a favour and stop! 🙂

4 minutes ago, clangerman said:

i see nothing wrong in giving unwanted game away it’s still used as for what goes on i like to mind my own business until i’m called a liar 

I don't think the issue is giving away unwanted game, I see no problems with that either. As far as I'm concerned the more game that gets into circulation the better. 

You referred to it as 'stinking piles of unwanted game' suggesting 1) there's alot of. 2) it's been sat around for a while and 3) to me a common occurrence. 

What you've said there's is a long way from what you've suggested is going on. 

As I said in my initial comment, I won't get drawn into an arguments over it, the last thing we need is more division or the ' I'm alright Jack' attitude.

7 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I don't think the issue is giving away unwanted game, I see no problems with that either. As far as I'm concerned the more game that gets into circulation the better. 

You referred to it as 'stinking piles of unwanted game' suggesting 1) there's alot of. 2) it's been sat around for a while and 3) to me a common occurrence. 

As I said in my initial comment, I won't get drawn into an arguments over it, the last thing we need is more division or the ' I'm alright Jack' attitude.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dumped+pheasants

4 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

the issue is calling me a liar when all i done was say what i have seen myself i never said it goes on everywhere as for i’m alright jack it’s a case of drive the quad and keep quiet or lose the pigeon shooting you know how it works when you don’t call the shots 

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

But you HAVEN'T supported game shooting! Are you for real? You’re the one claiming game shooting is rife with ‘stinky piles of unwanted game!’ If that’s your idea of supporting game shooting then do us all a favour and stop! 🙂

who said rife? i have stuck up for game shooting on numerous occasions with people so your wish is granted no more 

5 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

Thank you for sharing that, unfortunately I can't read the whole article.

Yes in the broader sense of ' birds being dumped' that's what happening. Nothing there to say that the bird's for example weren't diseased? I can't say im inclined to take to much notice of an anti shooting publication as let's face it, it's their job to portray us all in a bad light regardless of the truth.

6 minutes ago, clangerman said:

the issue is calling me a liar when all i done was say what i have seen myself i never said it goes on everywhere as for i’m alright jack it’s a case of drive the quad and keep quiet or lose the pigeon shooting you know how it works when you don’t call the shots 

That's exactly my point, if the game shooting goes, yours, mine and the good majority of everyone else pigeon shooting will go with it.

13 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

Am in the process of packing up my stand at the end of a busy weekend; will explain the FACTS surrounding this video at home later this evening. Events are not as is claimed in the video, which just goes to make my point that despite the true facts being made, there are always those who persist in circulating the same old tired videos. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Am in the process of packing up my stand at the end of a busy weekend; will explain the FACTS surrounding this video at home later this evening. Events are not as is claimed in the video, which just goes to make my point that despite the true facts being made, there are always those who persist in circulating the same old tired videos. 

Look forward to reading it 👍

10 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thank you for sharing that, unfortunately I can't read the whole article.

Yes in the broader sense of ' birds being dumped' that's what happening. Nothing there to say that the bird's for example weren't diseased? I can't say im inclined to take to much notice of an anti shooting publication as let's face it, it's their job to portray us all in a bad light regardless of the truth.

That's exactly my point, if the game shooting goes, yours, mine and the good majority of everyone else pigeon shooting will go with it.

the public accept crop protection it will always remain game shooters are going to need my support calling me a liar is not the way to get it if we are all on the same side 

43 minutes ago, clangerman said:

the public accept crop protection it will always remain game shooters are going to need my support calling me a liar is not the way to get it if we are all on the same side 

Yes crop protection might well remain, but it won't be the likes of me and you won't be doing it.

The problem with the 'public' your not talking about individuals, an individual is smart, and can make a sensible decision. The same can't be said for a group.

Public is not an individual, the public can and do end up getting swept away with the utter tripe spouted by the likes of WJ for example. 

The day game shooting goes it will be a very slippery slope to the day we are no longer are allowed to own firearms.

On 14/03/2020 at 11:39, mick miller said:

It's all getting a little complex isn't it?

It simply comes down to the two largest countryside organisations, the relationships between them and the British Game Alliance, the need to protect both a significant investment of members money, made without consultation, and the threats to the continuance of big bag large commercial shoots and the release, annually, of millions of birds in densities that are not suited to the local environments. 

To protect those interests and investments and preserve a way of life for a privileged few the decision had been made, again without any consultation, to make a declaration that the shooting community as a whole will make a voluntary transition to an inferior product (inferior as it only works in a limited capacity for a limited number of chamberings at a limited range) over the next five years. 

The choice could have been to retain lead, reduce the numbers of birds released and shot, but as the near valueless commodity of these flying targets would have no avenue to retail, due to the presence of lead in them, there would have been little justification for the continuance of this pastime for the privileged few. 

When they say preserving shooting for future generations, they are talking about their future generations, not yours. When they ignore their own scientific research which, until recently, was used to argue the opposing position, it's simply a case of fitting facts to suit an agenda.

We will never have a viable, affordable alternative to lead in many of the smaller chamberings, but that doesn't really matter to them, you don't use a 410 on a driven day or a grouse moor. My advice would be to shift these on to the unsuspecting as soon as possible. Along with, in time, your 22lr's. If your currently using a 243 for deer, flog that off too and future proof yourself with a 6.5 or larger.

Every other announcement is just fluff and bluster, don't be mugged off. I don't actually blame them, you have to follow the money I guess, I just wish there were more honesty. 

zzzzzzzzzzZzz

2 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

You've seen a truck full of game that is going to be processed. Not a stinky pile of unwanted game.

you are right that’s my point i did see it numerous times so i’m no liar that’s all i was after 

11 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Yes crop protection might well remain, but it won't be the likes of me and you won't be doing it.

The problem with the 'public' your not talking about individuals, an individual is smart, and can make a sensible decision. The same can't be said for a group.

Public is not an individual, the public can and do end up getting swept away with the utter tripe spouted by the likes of WJ for example. 

The day game shooting goes it will be a very slippery slope to the day we are no longer are allowed to own firearms.

i’m to old to see the end the nuts have done such a good job we are on a generation bought up on it’s wrong so it’s a case of when not if now