Monitoring Horses On Large Field with CCTV

dotty83

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone can advise on using CCTV cameras to monitor horses in a large paddock next to my house. I've been considering a few options such as IP, WIFI but they don't seem to have the capabilities of a traditional type camera. I was looking for a long range camera like the ones here, they do require a copper hard wired cable but they have the range to cover the field which is nearly 100 metres in length. Has anyone installed a hard wired system? Do you have to have a DVR with these or can I connect this directly to a PC or TV?

1 hour ago, CharlieT said:

I know nothing about CCTV but, as someone who has kept horses for around 65 years, I have to ask why.

It's mainly for piece of mind, we have had some youths entering the paddock, messing around and worrying them so we just want to keep a closer eye on things and it would be helpful in identifying and catching them in the act. If you have it on CCTV the police are more likely to get involved.

What you have linked to should be suitable. Yes, you'll need to wire stuff in but it seems fit for purpose. I'd recommend a DVR as it will record everything but can also be wired to a monitor/TV.

I'd go for as close to 1080HD as you can get as the image quality is so much better than 720. 960 is pretty good as well. No point trying to use it for evidential purposes if the picture quality isn't great.

I use wifi cameras for a horse yard but the IR only has a range of about 25m. They are great for the intended purpose but not a 100m long paddock.

I do find that with CCTV, you get what you pay for.

Good luck with it.

Screenshot_20200223-194304.png

Screenshot_20200223-194317.png

Screenshot_20200223-194328.png

Thank you for the advice t

On 23/02/2020 at 19:50, hedge said:

What you have linked to should be suitable. Yes, you'll need to wire stuff in but it seems fit for purpose. I'd recommend a DVR as it will record everything but can also be wired to a monitor/TV.

I'd go for as close to 1080HD as you can get as the image quality is so much better than 720. 960 is pretty good as well. No point trying to use it for evidential purposes if the picture quality isn't great.

I use wifi cameras for a horse yard but the IR only has a range of about 25m. They are great for the intended purpose but not a 100m long paddock.

I do find that with CCTV, you get what you pay for.

Good luck with it.

Screenshot_20200223-194304.png

Screenshot_20200223-194317.png

Screenshot_20200223-194328.png

Thank you for the advice that is much appreciated. Your system looks really good and the night time pictures are good quality. I think I would need slightly longer range but that is down to the capability of the lens. Ideally I need up to 5-50mm vari-focal lens I have been told.

I have seen systems supporting up to 5MP however I am sure that 1080p will be fit for purpose.

1 hour ago, dotty83 said:

Thank you for the advice t

Thank you for the advice that is much appreciated. Your system looks really good and the night time pictures are good quality. I think I would need slightly longer range but that is down to the capability of the lens. Ideally I need up to 5-50mm vari-focal lens I have been told.

I have seen systems supporting up to 5MP however I am sure that 1080p will be fit for purpose.

Yes - I do find the 1080 gives a decent picture but the IR range is limited. You would need something more `complex` (expensive). I'd always got for the highest possible picture quality.

Let us know how you get on.

I have cctv at my stable yard. It is a wireless system gives excellent picture. Is movable through 360 degrees. Put a sd card in and it records. I have a sim card in as this provides connection wherever I am. It is a ryedale camera  they have a Facebook page. If memory serves me I paid around £450 my one runs off 12 volt car battery due to being in a remote area but I am sure a mains version is available. I would guess that if you are mounting it on your house you would be able to connect via your home broadband but ryedale would best advise you on this. Their customer service is second to none. 

• 4 weeks later...