New Chrono

Ultrastu

I got a new chrono this week .

Its a  lmbr r2a

It works on Infrared light so isnt dependant on any external light and as such doesnt suffer the errors of chronos like the chrony f1  etc .

It has a nice shooting window of about 110 mm x 35 mm .

Which means it can be shot through at range  .obviously the risk of an accidental strike goes up with distance .so to this end i made a shield today to protect the chrono .

Now it has a 35 x70 mm slot to get the pellet through .ive tested the 2 mm steel up to .25 cal and it just holds up .

Sub 12 dont even dent it .

So with my other chronograph  on the muzzle i can now calculate the drop in velocity at range and hence the bc of the pellets i shoot  .

Im going to work out the bc s of the pellets i shoot at different ranges , velocites and from different types of gun .

If there is any interesting trends or info i will share it on here for the pigeon watch massive .

IMG_20200223_194246.jpg

IMG_20200223_194149.jpg

IMG_20200223_194116.jpg

Edited by Ultrastu

30 yards will be interesting with shotgun.  It may not read true if more than one pellet goes through.

For BC the further the better. Look forward to your findings 👍

Soon as I get my impact back I'll be doing mine again.

Edited by figgy

10 minutes ago, figgy said:

Be interested in seeing how many times you hit the sheild. I've shot one of my chrony's half a dozen times. The rear sensor housing is all taped together. Has a plate in front now, hit that twice 🤫

Thats because your a naff shot... lol

Edited by Arron yeates

Yep you could be right 😂.

I don't know why I think the pellet needs to pass close to the sensors or it won't work. The shades are massive and it works upto a foot above it. 🥴😤. Luckily I miss the front LCD and hit the very top of the metal lip at the back causing bits of plastic to fly off.

Ultrastu any reason you never went for the FX radar chronograph ? 

🤣

Im sure it will get hit sooner or later..

Thinking im gonna test .177 jsb exact at 25 and 50 yds for bc .at sub 12 and fac and out of a springer .

See if there is much difference. 

Then onto bismags and extreems 

Some wad cutters at 25 yds only .

Then in .22 falcons and crosman prems at sub and fac 

The probably jsb kings  

After that probably the .410    6 s  , 5.5s and 7.5s .at 5 and 30 yds 

If it holds up to the .410 move onto tje 20b s .see if the porting on a mozzy hush does rob energy significantly  .

After that i will have a coffèe 

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

I don't know why I think the pellet needs to pass close to the sensors or it won't work. The shades are massive and it works upto a foot above it. 🥴😤. Luckily I miss the front LCD and hit the very top of the metal lip at the back causing bits of plastic to fly off.

Yeah it sounds carp .

And doesnt do what a want  

Sorry but it looks like a gimic to me .

Cheers mice .yep ive read that a few times in the past .

And his findings are interesting .but he conducts them with one gun only .and as we know  different guns prefer different pellets.

Had he tried a second or third gun his results could have been totally different .still its good food for thought and shows we cant presume .

7 hours ago, figgy said:

Only joking mate im sure your a laser beam. You have plenty of experience. Its just eventually going to happen if your chronoing down range. I dont care how good of a shot someone is, evwntually it will happen. Im now on the agf aswell lol. 

7 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

🤣

Im sure it will get hit sooner or later..

Thinking im gonna test .177 jsb exact at 25 and 50 yds for bc .at sub 12 and fac and out of a springer .

See if there is much difference. 

Then onto bismags and extreems 

Some wad cutters at 25 yds only .

Then in .22 falcons and crosman prems at sub and fac 

The probably jsb kings  

After that probably the .410    6 s  , 5.5s and 7.5s .at 5 and 30 yds 

If it holds up to the .410 move onto tje 20b s .see if the porting on a mozzy hush does rob energy significantly  .

After that i will have a coffèe 

Yeah it sounds carp .

And doesnt do what a want  

Sorry but it looks like a gimic to me .

Ive got one its sound and readings are the same as the Skan

Ultrastu try some QYS streamline and JSB Stratton in .177.

Some of the target boys are impressed with them. Better than JSB results.

I done my near and far tests over 28 meters with AAFD 16gr near average was 565.5 far average 502.3 ten shots.

Then done a pellet trajectory validation over 48meters. This gives a good result to check BC. My BC was much better than stated in the app.

I'm looking forward to seeing if your BC alters much between the 25 and then 50 yards.

Edited by figgy

Cheers figgy 

Ive got the three types of .177 qys 

The 8.5 grn domes

8.5 grn streamlined and 9.5 grn streamlined. 

The best is the 8.5 streamlined for accuracy and bc .the 9.5 are also pretty good and the domed are ok for accuracy  but the bc is poor  (not calculated it yet but the drop is huge )

I tested the 8.5 grn streamlined against jsb 4.53 (my fave ) for accuracy and pellet drop .the jsb wins on both accounts .but to be fair the qys is a good contender .

Suffice to say i wont be swapping to qys from jsb any time soon .

Try the JSB Stratton's stu. I'm going to next time I order .177 pellets I'll get a tin.

Stu what app are you using?  I use strelock pro, if you want to check the BC via pellet drop from you zero. Let me know and I can I put the data and give you the results.

The stratton are the pointed ones right ? 

Not sure i need pointed pellets ? What do you use them for figgy ./how do you find them for accuracy  etc ? 

As far as calculating bc .i use chairgun and enter the muzzle and target velocities with the correct range distance and cg. Does the rest  its more relaible than the pellet drop method. As elevation, wind and group size can all skew the results .im not saying 2 chronos method is perfect but other than doing with a labradar its the best i can do .

I don't but some very good shooting lads over on the airgun forum tried them.in .177 and got better results than with exacts. The posted up the targets too. 

.22 no good but .177 very good. If you can get them local be worth trying whilst doing your tests. I'll pick some up next time I get .177 pellets.

Accuracy is the top priority for me with good retained energy.

Thinking on .

Ive got some h+n barracuda green .had for years  .thinking of putting them over the chronos and working out the bc and retained energy at range .

I know h+n website gives approx bc.s 

But id like to test for myself .they are 6.5 grns and actually shoot pretty well out of one of my ultras.  (if i remember well ) they did around 10.5 fpe which is ok .

I do remember shooting one into a steel i beam at 30 yds once to see what noise it made .

I was rather supprised to hear a little "tink " and then walk over to find the pellet on the floor so intact i could have reshot it .

I guess this means it  carries  very little energy down range  and what what energy it does have isnt enough to deform the hard tin . 

What im obviously driving at is - if we SUFFER  a lead ban on airgun pellets i feel the alternatives will be so ineffective  as to render airguns practically  useless for all but close range plinking  .A great way to kill grass roots shooting sports  and then beyond .

Edited by Ultrastu

17 minutes ago, figgy said:

I don't but some very good shooting lads over on the airgun forum tried them.in .177 and got better results than with exacts. The posted up the targets too. 

.22 no good but .177 very good. If you can get them local be worth trying whilst doing your tests. I'll pick some up next time I get .177 pellets.

Accuracy is the top priority for me with good retained energy.

I could see a pointed pellet being a bit better alternative to say a wad cutter , if med  range pigeon or rat control was needed .as they should retain a bit more energy and accuracy at say 25 -30 yds .but penetrate a bit less than a round head ..

I think there must be a very small range window between close and far distances where a pointed pellet is the best option over flat heads / hollow points v domed heads  .

Im not convinced .