12g Inverted Card Cup tooling dimensions

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine the o/d diameter of the finished inverted cup would be the same diameter as the bore, the i/d would be the bore size minus the thickness (x2) of the over diameter card wad.....when formed, the cup walls (depth of the cup) would be about 3/16 inch? Apart from the o/d, I don’t see the i/d and the cup depth being critical?

The inverted cup is just an o/p card wad, on firing it leaves the case (hull) and opens out in transit up the bore, to create an efficient gas seal, the remainder of the wadding is of a normal type......for this reason, I can’t see why the diameter of the inverted cup o/p wad needs to be a larger diameter than the actual diameter of the bore?

An old Nobel cartridge catalogue lists the minimum diameter for cardboard wadding in the different gauges. It gives .740 as the minimum for 12 gauge.

Sorry but my stored image loses clarity when copying it otherwise I would email the page to you.

My own take on the issue would be the optimum diameter for your wad should be decided on the particular gun that you are going to use them in:

A tight 12G bored as 13 or 31/1 would be better fitted with "undersize" wad diameter and a wide bored chamberless/brass case 12G would be better suited by "oversized" wadding.  The Shooting Times ran some articles by Homeloader regarding wadding options in the overbored guns. Another factor would be the particular cartridge case that you intend to load - paper cases tend to be narrower than the currently available thin parallel walled type.

The other principal factor would be the wad material type regarding thickness/stiffness/pliability. Tropicana fruit juice cartons can be a useful and cheap source. 

19 minutes ago, harkom said:

An old Nobel cartridge catalogue lists the minimum diameter for cardboard wadding in the different gauges. It gives .740 as the minimum for 12 gauge.

Sorry but my stored image loses clarity when copying it otherwise I would email the page to you.

My own take on the issue would be the optimum diameter for your wad should be decided on the particular gun that you are going to use them in:

A tight 12G bored as 13 or 31/1 would be better fitted with "undersize" wad diameter and a wide bored chamberless/brass case 12G would be better suited by "oversized" wadding.  The Shooting Times ran some articles by Homeloader regarding wadding options in the overbored guns. Another factor would be the particular cartridge case that you intend to load - paper cases tend to be narrower than the currently available thin parallel walled type.

The other principal factor would be the wad material type regarding thickness/stiffness/pliability. Tropicana fruit juice cartons can be a useful and cheap source. 

Thanks for the above … although I believe the benefit of an inverted card cup, is that the skirt 'goes out' to create a seal, just like on a plastic wad.

The base material I use for my 8 is significantly bigger than the bore.

1 minute ago, MARSH GUN said:

The owner of the inverted card die let it go when he parted with a reloading press last year.  So its make one from scratch  Anyone with an 8 or 10 version do a rough drawing with sizes  please so we can try and work things out from there.

Something for me to do in the rain tomorrow !! … I'll also unpick a Winnie XX to help.