12g Inverted Card Cup tooling dimensions

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, scolopax said:

what type of card are you using ?  I bought the tooling from G Deakin last year along with a  bag of cards (8 bore) , but the cards repeatedly split on the circumference of the fold. I still used them but they did not look very pretty.

Spanish fruit packing boxes I found the best, slightly waxed so dont crack on the shoulder.

I found deakins card to hard , it always cracked on the shoulder after you made the cup .

On 29/02/2020 at 21:32, scolopax said:

what type of card are you using ?  I bought the tooling from G Deakin last year along with a  bag of cards (8 bore) , but the cards repeatedly split on the circumference of the fold. I still used them but they did not look very pretty.

To cut a long story short….some years ago I was asked to make some tooling to produce cardboard cups, once I had made the blanking and raising tools he soaked the card disks in melted candle wax, then whilst they were still warm he placed them in the raising tool, the wax helped soften the card which stopped it cracking and when they came out of the tooling they had set hard.

You could perhaps try this idea to stop the cracking.

On 03/03/2020 at 15:37, old'un said:

To cut a long story short….some years ago I was asked to make some tooling to produce cardboard cups, once I had made the blanking and raising tools he soaked the card disks in melted candle wax, then whilst they were still warm he placed them in the raising tool, the wax helped soften the card which stopped it cracking and when they came out of the tooling they had set hard.

You could perhaps try this idea to stop the cracking.

Great info oldun thank you for sharing that here. Much appreciated.

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I’ve just used the 10 bore one made a cup and fitted it into a 12 bore case so the dimensions are not going to be a lot different 

B23F1F71-1B99-4C9D-92A3-740E1417A4AA.jpeg

With say  a back bored gun it might be better. Just guessing.

5 hours ago, Smiler23 said:

Thanks for that lancer,thought I was doing it wrong, on pic 12 that old farrier put on ,it looks like card cup is in other way round

I imagine he just pushed it in the easiest way he could it being just by way of illustration of size, using clearly  a used hull getting it in the right way past the distortion from  the old crimp would have been a faff .

Edited by lancer425

On 04/03/2020 at 13:29, Old farrier said:

I’ve just used the 10 bore one made a cup and fitted it into a 12 bore case so the dimensions are not going to be a lot different 

B23F1F71-1B99-4C9D-92A3-740E1417A4AA.jpeg

Interesting as I have just picked up a ten bore kit and was going to try it in a 12 bore case as well having ordered some cup wads today. I am starting to play with the ten bore cases and now just need to pattern test a few loads. Have you patterned any of the 12’s using the ten bore cup card op wad?

1 minute ago, Dave at kelton said:

Interesting as I have just picked up a ten bore kit and was going to try it in a 12 bore case as well having ordered some cup wads today. I am starting to play with the ten bore cases and now just need to pattern test a few loads. Have you patterned any of the 12’s using the ten bore cup card op wad?

Not yet only ordered the reloding gear today I’m going to try a lead load first 

this should give me the comparison that I need same powder wad and shot loads only difference would be the over powder card and the cup over powder card 

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Not yet only ordered the reloding gear today I’m going to try a lead load first 

this should give me the comparison that I need same powder wad and shot loads only difference would be the over powder card and the cup over powder card 

Thanks I will go straight to steel in 3.0-3.25 mm and use data off the Alliant website. I will compare notes over the coming months.