Birmingham 2020 shooting now in India

Looks like the archery and shooting for commonwealth games 2020 is now going to be held in India in January 2020 with medals counting towards the overall tally

Such a shame my home city with it's proud heritage of the gun trade couldn't bring themselves to find somewhere to host it - Shooting at London 2012 brought us good crowds and good medals

From what I can understand shooting isn't a core Comm Games sport and isn't a required event to be held by the hosting country.  

I agree it's pretty poor that England didn't have the gumption to stage the shooting events, but snowflakes rule! 

I think the decision to hold a separate Comm Games shooting event is a good one, rather than no shooting at all.

It has long been whispered that shooting is not wanted at Olympic Games unless it's some sort of laser shooting. So a Comm Games shooting event could form a template for a separate Olympic Games competition.

6 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

I Was talking about this on Friday while clay shooting, everyone agreed that this is an absolute joke, we have world class shooting facilities in the UK.

What's wrong with building a temporary venue, like they did with the olympics, or just using one of the UK venues that's alredy in place.

Absolute disgrace!

Most likely a politically driven agenda?

An absolute disgrace IMHO.

what a disgrace      the snowflakes win again  plenty of facilities in the midlands  for shooting and archery  all within an hours drive from Birmingham city centre  chat to any shooter or google search  will show facilities available  not to mention other counties not in west midlands but still within 30 mls  drive      a disgrace again

why are the other athletes not boycotting the event  and  grow a pair      not to mention the public   grow a pair     Birmingham is the heart of the working  gun trade  and has been for many years          and yet the promoter idiots tell  us ---- India is  better             absolute   ( BS )   what an insult  to uk shooting and archery hosts      hotels etc     local economy  and  promoting an area  to highlight  the positives      ( heads should roll  for this )      should hotel bookings cancelled   etc         or cancel the entire event and send a message     (all sports or no sports ) promoters cannot pick and choose   all or nothing  as an event 

vote with your feet don't attend any event  

I wont support the event 

the Olympics was bad enough other country's could compete in pistol shooting and yet  we could not participate     being the host nation          an absolute  disgrace  given we can compete elsewhere      and yet we repeat     + 10 fold              nothing learned I despair      (all or nothing)    ( tell them to go forth and multiply) my 10p

Edited by Saltings

Archery = Centre of excellence Lilleshall Sports Centre  Newport Shropshire .

Also at Meriden Warwickshire .

Clayshooting could easily be accommodated at Garlands Tamworth .

Pistol & Rifle shooting =Ranges at Minworth near Kingsbury / Tamworth.

When Commonwealth Games were held at Manchester the shooting disciplines took place at Manchesters local ranges Bisley , Surrey , just down the road from Coronation Street.

Glasgow Commonwealth Games = Purpose built shooting facility costing £thousands  then destroyed immediately afterwards. 

Well, I think you'll find that the idea was to ditch shooting entirely. But, as the Indian team tend to do quite well at that and realistically it was their only chance at a medal or two they threw the toys from the pram and said 'no shooting - no show'. As a concession, the Games committee allowed it to continue for this year's games, but it had to take place in India.

It likely won't make the next one. Guns are bad you know.