Foreign Exchange

steve_b_wales

I wish to purchase some $USD . Checking online, there's not a great deal of difference, a few £s +/-

I can order them from my local Post Office or from an online company which works out at £8:00 cheaper on their rate (for $1680 USD)

I'm tempted to purchase them from the Post Office and pay the extra. There's loads of companies offering various rates, and some include free next day delivery. One that I've been looking at is Travel FX which has good reviews.

Has anyone ordered their currency online and if so, who did you go with?

Where are you going with your USD's? USA or elsewhere?

I ask because I often take dollars &/or sterling to Asia. The money changers there will not accept other currencies if they have biro writing or other marks on them. They are rejected as "adulterated". Nothing worse than finding this out when it's important. So, when purchasing other currencies in the Uk, I always ask for clean notes, unadulterated. I use Kannoo travel who are very used to the problem.

Halifax Clarity credit card is the way to go.
I’ve  just been to Germany no transaction fee you get the base rate a lot better than tourist rates just used it to pay for everything. 
I also withdrew 300 euro  from a cash machine over there. 
paid it off as soon as it showed up on my online banking cost me 13p interest no commission. 

I won’t be going back it’s the first time I’ve done it and I did it on a recommendation 

12 minutes ago, timps said:

Halifax Clarity credit card is the way to go.
I’ve  just been to Germany no transaction fee you get the base rate a lot better than tourist rates just used it to pay for everything. 
I also withdrew 300 euro  from a cash machine over there. 
paid it off as soon as it showed up on my online banking cost me 13p interest no commission. 

I won’t be going back it’s the first time I’ve done it and I did it on a recommendation 

All the way.

Cash should be just for tips so you don’t need that much and really at point rates don’t matter much as talking couple quid dif at best.

Santander also have a pretty good travel credit card worth looking at.

Always pay in the local currency on these cards - do not accept paying in GBP if any merchant provides the option.

1 hour ago, Teal said:

I've heard a lot of good things about https://www.revolut.com/ - basically a card you can use anywhere in the world at the midmarket of forex. Basic account is free I believe. Has to be the future.

We have had one of these for a few years now and they are great and offer the actual exchange rate. It updates every couple of seconds. 

Thing we like about it is it acts as a foreign bank account so where i have just bought a classic car from the Netherlands we have paid by BACS transfer and got the best available rate and no bank fees.

8 hours ago, Teal said:

I've heard a lot of good things about https://www.revolut.com/ - basically a card you can use anywhere in the world at the midmarket of forex. Basic account is free I believe. Has to be the future.

Thanks Teal, but the $USD need to be in cash, as it's for our payment for our holiday in June. We are paying the hotel directly when we arrive. The card is a good idea though, and I certainly will consider it in the future.

10 hours ago, Teal said:

I use a combination of the Revolut card and the Halifax clarity card, and at the moment I'm travelling most weeks to Germany.  Be aware that in the US in particular, the Revolut can sometimes be seen as a 'pre pay' credit card, which isn't accepted everywhere.  I also use Revolut business for my business account, though it's pretty poor compared to the consumer version.  The Halifax gets used wherever I want the additional protection of a credit card, and paid off in full every month.