Pigs not using sty

Wb123

I just went out to check on the pigs before bed, it must be only just above freezing and rather than use their cardboard and straw bed in an old oil tank the blighters are asleep in mud in a bush. 

Any ideas why they would do this and how to persuade them to sleep somewhere a little warmer so they don’t burn as much feed keeping warm?

I had an exchange of views with the blighters about it and they just looked back with a clear subtitle of ‘you won’t come and get us out of these brambles so sod off and let us sleep’. 

I threw a load more straw in their sty this morning and a little extra food in their trough. I couldn’t actually find them in the dark this morning but the perimeter fence was intact and they have a lot of overgrowth to hide in. 

5 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

I had an exchange of views with the blighters about it and they just looked back with a clear subtitle of ‘you won’t come and get us out of these brambles so sod off and let us sleep’. 

I threw a load more straw in their sty this morning and a little extra food in their trough. I couldn’t actually find them in the dark this morning but the perimeter fence was intact and they have a lot of overgrowth to hide in. 

The sty doesn't smell of oil? Their sense of smell are a bit more sensitive then yours.

/M

I wouldn't worry

I had a border collie blooded lurcher that would climb the fence of his dog run and sleep in the snow rather then curl up on his raised straw covered bed. I was reported and the inspector couldn't believe it when the dog was put away and then within a minute escaped to roll about in the snow and grass 

The old saying,    "happy as pigs in muck".   They will lie where they feel secure.  There may be something in the smell but doubt it.  I have seen ferals lying up in thick cover on open ground in the Panhandle of Texas where night time tempts can drop below freezing.    Free range pork ....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!

Chuck some grub in with the bedding straw on the deck, they'll snuffle for it and make there own bed in the process. it has worked with me in the past. but if there is something they don't like you'll never make them go in.