Wild-fowling Dogs

Lloyd90

I’m just curious what kind of retrieves most wild fowling dogs do on normal shooting days. 

My club did have some land on the foreshore a bit further down from the Severn Bridge, but I wouldn’t have wanted to send a dog into that river, it’s bloody massive and I’d be concerned the dog would get pulled out to sea. 

So just wondering what is normal work for a wild fowling dog? 

Yes, I’ve seen the video of that Chesapeake doing that huge retrieve lol but I don’t think any dog would be up for such a huge swim would they? 

I can definitely see why some Fowler’s prefer the older type labs though, almost twice the density/size of some of these modern racey types. 

Always had the broad type Labs from the start , they are strong as a ox and never had to worry when retrieving from tidal waters and putting up with the icy conditions , mind you ,the same with all working gun dogs , they need to be in peak condition , not just during the season but all the year round .

Here on the Solway my dogs are rarely out in the tide. More likely I need them chasing a goose down out on the mud and that can be hundreds of yards. I agree the point you need good strong dogs that can stand hours out lying on a cold muddy wet bank without any ill effects. That means fit dogs in good condition, as has been said.

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

Always had the broad type Labs from the start , they are strong as a ox and never had to worry when retrieving from tidal waters and putting up with the icy conditions , mind you ,the same with all working gun dogs , they need to be in peak condition , not just during the season but all the year round .

What do you do to get yours in peak condition mate? 

I don't believe you need some sort of super-dog, but a larger stronger breed is obviously a good choice. However, some dogs seem to understand tide from an early age. They will go into a flowing river for a retrieve, allow themselves to be carried with the stream, then head for the nearest spot on the bank before trotting back on the land. Others really don't. I used to live on the bank of a tidal river, and I had a flatcoat who never quite got this so I had to follow her on the bank and call her in to me. It could be a bit worrying, and I never used her near big channels on the marsh.

1 of my dogs reads the tide/flow, 1 doesn’t.

In fast flowing water my old boy will enter down stream, swim gently across the flow being carried with the water, then turn into the flow, ‘Tread water’ so to speak, and wait for the bird to come to him on the current using a burst of speed intercept it. He then drifts back across allowing himself to be washed to the near shore and trot back. 

My bitch will want to dart out to where the bird fell then chase after it down stream. Eventually catch it. Fight the current back. Get exhausted and wash up on the bank. Exerting lots of energy, and ending up 100s m away. It’s really hard to train common sense 🤣

Edited by WalkedUp

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Time the end of the season draw to a close my dog is out most days of the week , at nearly five years old he would now be coming up to being in his prime and touch wood isn't showing any signs of stiff joints , when the season is over I still continue taking him out for long(ish) walks at least 2 or 3 times a day , with me being retired it not only keep my dog fit it is also good for my own well being , on top of that I go Pigeon shooting a lot and when the weather warm up I take a training dummy and give him a couple of retrieves in the lake near mine , or across our rivers that are not to wide , and not forgetting , sensible feeding and not letting any fat building up.

In other words , maintain regular exercise , and if need be , cut down a bit on the feeding . all the best    MM

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Mine are out twice a day, I keep weight down so cut food back if necessary. If I am out for a walk a dummy will be dropped and they will be sent back a hundred yards or more. I will drop several tennis balls and walk them on. Send them back so they are getting plenty of exercise at a gallop. This is on top of standard training exercises.

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Mine are out twice a day, I keep weight down so cut food back if necessary. If I am out for a walk a dummy will be dropped and they will be sent back a hundred yards or more. I will drop several tennis balls and walk them on. Send them back so they are getting plenty of exercise at a gallop. This is on top of standard training exercises.

When you say twice a day, how long for and for how long Dave?  

It shocks me that some people think they’d just leave a dog sat in a kennel all summer then expect it to work in the season. 

49 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

When you say twice a day, how long for and for how long Dave?  

It shocks me that some people think they’d just leave a dog sat in a kennel all summer then expect it to work in the season. 

Half to three quarters of an hour each time. I have the benefit of working at home and only three days a week so can find the time.

52 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I only take mine out once a day 😉

usualy from about 8.30 until 5 o’clock 

they do get a break at lunch time though 

Get a job you want to :P ... mines really getting in the way :lol: 

42 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Half to three quarters of an hour each time. I have the benefit of working at home and only three days a week so can find the time.

You just let them free run as you go is it Dave? 

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Get a job you want to  ... mines really getting in the way  

You just let them free run as you go is it Dave? 

On the way out they are free to run but on the walk back it is all in at heel, stop, stay etc. In between they are laid down for between 5 and ten minutes to teach them to relax and switch off

On 26/02/2020 at 14:54, WalkedUp said:

1 of my dogs reads the tide/flow, 1 doesn’t.

In fast flowing water my old boy will enter down stream, swim gently across the flow being carried with the water, then turn into the flow, ‘Tread water’ so to speak, and wait for the bird to come to him on the current using a burst of speed intercept it. He then drifts back across allowing himself to be washed to the near shore and trot back. 

My bitch will want to dart out to where the bird fell then chase after it down stream. Eventually catch it. Fight the current back. Get exhausted and wash up on the bank. Exerting lots of energy, and ending up 100s m away. It’s really hard to train common sense 🤣

Not done any fowling with a dog so can't comment there other than common sense says a big strong capable dog, Lab or Chessy would certainly be my choice. My choccy Lab Muffin would sight a duck coming down a river and gently swim across mid stream and wait for it to come to him , then pick it up and let the flow ease him back to the bank using his thick otter tail as a rudder. In fact often on the Usk on a driven duck day when picking up he would swim out there and wait anyway, just loved to be in the water.  One good shake and he was dry.  Had a friend with a Chessy and she would swim anything and again just seemed to love being in the water.