Heads up BBC 4 @7.30

ditchman

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

watched this seris several times they are all good .........to-night it is the handmaking of a windsor chair................

And here's one I made earlier !!!

The hardest 6 days ever. You chopped and crafted each piece. Unlike the craftsman on the BBC 4 prog we did not use any electrical gadgets whatsoever. All by hand. Treadle lathe for all spokes and turnings. drilling by a sort of "T" bar thingy. This was  the greenwood course at Westonbirt Arboratum under the tutelage of Paul Hayden, great crafstman. Mrs B wants the full dining set. She'll have to wait!!

20160709_141210.jpg

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

he was in his own little world.............did you see his mrs combing the dog on the kitchen table................

we laugh....i bet those chairs go for several hundred quid..............

cheers for heads up Ditchy! Great watch! Combing dog on the table a classic. A well sort after old version  called the Mendlesham chair has been made near me for ages. They go for hundreds. . . . . . . .      Talking of well skilled craftsmanship. Does anyone follow the story of the "Tally Ho" By Sampson Boat Co on the tube? A English lad in his 20's saving and restoring a 100 plus tear old famous English racing yacht in the States. Amazing knowledge and craftsmanship and huge project to take on, Well worth a look.    NB

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

And here's one I made earlier !!!

The hardest 6 days ever. You chopped and crafted each piece. Unlike the craftsman on the BBC 4 prog we did not use any electrical gadgets whatsoever. All by hand. Treadle lathe for all spokes and turnings. drilling by a sort of "T" bar thingy. This was  the greenwood course at Westonbirt Arboratum under the tutelage of Paul Hayden, great crafstman. Mrs B wants the full dining set. She'll have to wait!!

20160709_141210.jpg

as they are ash do they use glue to put them together............?

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

as they are ash do they use glue to put them together............?

Yes, we did. Can't remember the name. But it wasn't that white stuff (PVA ?) which we were told becomes too brittle over time and so unsuitable for chairs. If you have a professional need to know you could email Paul Hayden. I think his website is westonbirtwoodworks.co.uk

That said, the individual pieces would not be described as wet wood. Once turned to size, pieces were sort of kiln dried overnight in an oil drum over an open fire embers. After shrinkage the ends of each spoke were turned again to a slightly smaller size using a ring spanner as the gauge.

'twas the first time I had seen it and it was a fascinating program, wifey combing the dog made me smile but generally thought the camera man had ADHD (concentration disorder.) In trying to make it "interesting" he showed less of the really interesting content. Nevertheless I'll be looking out for the rest of the series and thanks for the tip-off.