Sharks fins

mel b3

5 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Probably a daft question,  with a very obvious answer , but , when sharks are killed and the fins removed , why isn't the rest of the shark used as food ?.

I understand because they aren't all that good to eat, some complete *****  cut off the fins then return the fish to the sea,  Guess who eats it, along with dogs, bats Pangolin etc etc etc

13 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

iv'e had shark and it has a taste of amonia ,but dogfish  & huss which  are small sharks used to be quite tasty when sold as rock salmon in the chippies down south !

My uncle was a fisherman down at Deal, Kent, I have eaten plenty of Dogfish and as you say its tasty but the amount that now goes to waste is unbelievable, trawlers catching them when fishing for other species, then just dumping them overboard or bringing them back for baiting lobster and crab pots, such a waste of a tasty fish.   

12 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

iv'e had shark and it has a taste of amonia ,but dogfish  & huss which  are small sharks used to be quite tasty when sold as rock salmon in the chippies down south !

And the skin used to be used for sandpaper.

It's a deplorable practice and has no place in a reasonable global society

My wife used to work in a proper fishmongers shop. Shark is sold and eaten. It's not popular but is cheap. The most saleable was Tope of which they put on ice in the window which attracted passing custom. She hated it because of the skin and teeth. Cold hands in a fish shop and shark teeth don't mix. We tried it, it's an acquired taste of which neither of us particularly liked.

Slightly off topic, I miss her bringing home naturally smoked haddock or finnon haddock and eating it with brown bread and butter. 

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Disgusting practise, should be banned, its as bad as killing a rhino or elephant for its horn or ivory.

You mean as bad a poaching an elephant or rhino for it's horn or tusk. Legitimate hunting for both species and keeping the trophy is no different to taking a stag on the hill and keeping the antlers and goes a long way to conserving the species.

I agree with your sentiment though, subject to the above conditions.

Edited by Penelope

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

The skin was also ( maybe still is? ) used to cover the handles of Katana prior to the elaborate binding. It gives a superb grip. 

You learn to hold the tail against the head when unhooking Dogfish, otherwise they coil around your hand and take your skin off the back of your hand

5 minutes ago, Penelope said:

You mean as bad a poaching an elephant or rhino for it's horn or tusk. Legitimate hunting for both species and keeping the trophy is no different to taking a stag on the hill and keeping the antlers and goes a long way to conserving the species.

I agree with your sentiment though, subject to the above conditions.

I've got to be honest, I'm against any hunting of endangered species, I don't believe it can ever be good for the preservation of a species in the long run.

4 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I've got to be honest, I'm against any hunting of endangered species, I don't believe it can ever be good for the preservation of a species in the long run.

Elephants certainly aren't endangered, other than from over population in certain areas and countries. But that's a whole other thread.

27 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

You have to change your mind set. You see elephant, lion, hippo, unicorn as these rare mythical creatures. The people who live with them see them as vermin to be killed and exterminated with extreme prejudice. If they have a financial value they will be protected will flourish. Photo tourism does not save animals but shooting tourism does. Elephants and lions aren't rare in the countries where they are legally hunted but in the countries where they're not allowed to hunt them they've gone. 

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

shark fin doesn’t sound too tasty either

As a guest, I've been served it in soup. Quite honestly it doesn't taste of much - I understand that it's more about the consistency it imparts to the broth. In any event, it's very expensive and highly prized by Chinese. 

Ive eaten a few Lesser spotted dogfish when i lived in N Wales they had reached plague proportions, very hard to kill and skin, and they have an odd habit of still moving in the pan.. wouldnt eat shark fin soup

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

I can imagine. I have never tried either Dogfish nor shark fin soup. 

Endangered sharks worldwide

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-49466717

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

You have to change your mind set. You see elephant, lion, hippo, unicorn as these rare mythical creatures. The people who live with them see them as vermin to be killed and exterminated with extreme prejudice. If they have a financial value they will be protected will flourish. Photo tourism does not save animals but shooting tourism does. Elephants and lions aren't rare in the countries where they are legally hunted but in the countries where they're not allowed to hunt them they've gone. 

That is because too many people who want to shoot stuff have deeper pockets that they do good sense or moral conscience.

I’m not anti hunting by any stretch, but when people pay 4 figures to shoot an ancient old English park estate red stag, when you could hand feed the rascal with cob nuts, because they want a 12+ point head to hang on the wall makes me seriously question their motivation.

For those further flung than the park estates of the British gentry, because they live with them and see them as vermin doesn’t make them right.  People work at an absolute base level until they reach a point of financial hygiene, and i can understand those on the extreme bottom end of that spectrum’s distaste of lion eating their cow or an elephant stamping their crop, but thereafter people work on the basis of financial privilege and way too many people like that are knobs!

People shoot giraffe for christ’s sake and pose over the dead beast with their rifle (bewilders me?) as though they are a saviour.  That idiot walloper American lassie last year shot a Scottish blacky and posted it on Instagram.  She killed a sheep with a .243 or .303, wooooo her!!!

Why we feel the need to defend dopes like that because they introduce cash says more about us than them.  Might as well stock up on slipperine and pull our pants down.

2 minutes ago, grrclark said:

That is because too many people who want to shoot stuff have deeper pockets that they do good sense or moral conscience.

I’m not anti hunting by any stretch, but when people pay 4 figures to shoot an ancient old English park estate red stag, when you could hand feed the rascal with cob nuts, because they want a 12+ point head to hang on the wall makes me seriously question their motivation.

For those further flung than the park estates of the British gentry, because they live with them and see them as vermin doesn’t make them right.  People work at an absolute base level until they reach a point of financial hygiene, and i can understand those on the extreme bottom end of that spectrum’s distaste of lion eating their cow or an elephant stamping their crop, but thereafter people work on the basis of financial privilege and way too many people like that are knobs!

People shoot giraffe for christ’s sake and pose over the dead beast with their rifle (bewilders me?) as though they are a saviour.  That idiot walloper American lassie last year shot a Scottish blacky and posted it on Instagram.  She killed a sheep with a .243 or .303, wooooo her!!!

Why we feel the need to defend dopes like that because they introduce cash says more about us than them.  Might as well stock up on slipperine and pull our pants down.

I hear you, but we mustn't lose sight that the things you describe are possibly in the minority. There is plenty of good conservation work done on the back of the "big bucks" from hunters. We must bear in mind that some of these animals are simply up for auction - anyone can buy them - they just need to be gone from the area.  Why doesn't Gervais, or Packham step in?

13 minutes ago, Piebob said:

I hear you, but we mustn't lose sight that the things you describe are possibly in the minority. There is plenty of good conservation work done on the back of the "big bucks" from hunters. We must bear in mind that some of these animals are simply up for auction - anyone can buy them - they just need to be gone from the area.  Why doesn't Gervais, or Packham step in?

I get that too, i do always try really hard to look beyond the face value argument of both sides and there is extreme simplicity of argument by either camp.

Like anything else, if you take on the extreme ends of any discussion it is very narrow and limited.  Packham and Gervais are *****, but so is the dentist that shot Cecil the lion.

15 minutes ago, Piebob said:

Agreed, but as responsible hunters, I feel if we don't speak out against those who get it wrong, it makes it very easy for the likes of packham to tar us all with the same brush and the public, who are already probably misguided and against hunting in general will rallie against us all.

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

I get that too, i do always try really hard to look beyond the face value argument of both sides and there is extreme simplicity of argument by either camp.

Like anything else, if you take on the extreme ends of any discussion it is very narrow and limited.  Packham and Gervais are *****, but so is the dentist that shot Cecil the lion.

Spot on

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

Packham and Gervais are *****, but so is the dentist that shot Cecil the lion.

How come though? If I recall correctly Cecil was an old lion and needed to go as part of any good management policy. The Yanky dentist coughed up a hefty fee I'm sure but he simply outbid the next nearest bidder. I don't particularly like any posting of photos of "trophies" on social media, but I'm not sure if the dentist did that or if it was the outfitters.

11 minutes ago, Piebob said:

How come though? If I recall correctly Cecil was an old lion and needed to go as part of any good management policy. The Yanky dentist coughed up a hefty fee I'm sure but he simply outbid the next nearest bidder. I don't particularly like any posting of photos of "trophies" on social media, but I'm not sure if the dentist did that or if it was the outfitters.

Dopes like the dentist are the problem though, pay squad loads to shoot a knackered auld lion.  It is hunting prostitution... roll up, roll up, come shot our lion in the coupon if your pockets are deep enough, why not offer the village youngest?

I fully understand the world is full of folk who think that winning a bid to shoot a knackered auld lion with a bow and arrow, because they have a big fat wallet, somehow marks them as special, but why should we defend them any more than the fella with a big wad of cash who wants to buy a night with the villages youngest lassie to mark them out as rampant red blooded bloke.,