Another winter picture

islandgun

We certainly couldn't compete with your stunning landscape islandgun , sandy beach , maybe ? , but the backdrop mountains with the snow on would only be in our dreams .

No doubt with our ever changing weather , you could take a photo every day of the same spot and each photo would look slightly different .

Very nice and THANKS for posting :good:

Fantastic picture again...you are a lucky man...I could reside there for sure...I can appreciate that you might not want to disclose on a public forum but I'm intrigued at what species of duck and geese are prevalent and which ones are a rarity and classed as a prize, would imagine snipe but not many woodcock, summer sport mainly rabbits I assume...and yes I am too bloody nosey...:lol::lol:.....atb...misser

9 hours ago, misser said:

Fantastic picture again...you are a lucky man...I could reside there for sure...I can appreciate that you might not want to disclose on a public forum but I'm intrigued at what species of duck and geese are prevalent and which ones are a rarity and classed as a prize, would imagine snipe but not many woodcock, summer sport mainly rabbits I assume...and yes I am too bloody nosey...:lol::lol:.....atb...misser

Small numbers [now ] of native Greylag also Mallard/ Teal, again small numbers, due to the high numbers of predators,  Otters, hoody crows, Raven, we dont have foxes or badgers, There were huge numbers of rabbits but mixy killed 99% a couple of years ago

Thanks island gun....most interesting....am surprised you don't get more duck, especially wigeon as would imagine there's plenty of grassly inlets/floods etc....didn't realise you had that many predators....pity about the rabbits an all, awful that myxi....thanks again for the info and keep posting the pics please....atb....misser

Scotland is breathtakingly  stunning  countryside all over  and love it dearly  especially the highlands    however    when raining sat in a café its bleak     the same as anywhere when raining        I'm Irish I don't know if Ireland or Scotland gets the most rain  when the sun shines absolutely  breathtaking   scenery when raining found to be  lacking   as everywhere   

12 hours ago, misser said:

Thanks island gun....most interesting....am surprised you don't get more duck, especially wigeon as would imagine there's plenty of grassly inlets/floods etc....didn't realise you had that many predators....pity about the rabbits an all, awful that myxi....thanks again for the info and keep posting the pics please....atb....misser

There are about 20 wigeon arrive in Feb, go to the same piece of estuary and stay in that area,  then leave in the spring,  I feed a pool i dug and flooded, and usually get a brood or two of mallard,  but the number of young that reach maturity is poor. however the east of the island is covered with Lochs so theres no shortage of breeding sites

Very interesting...must be the same adult party every year...surprising how they remember....bit gutting when they have their hound and they just get almost decimated by predators...they have a job on their hands trying to rear a half decent brood....atb...misser

Steve you will be the man to ask, just south west of you there’s an island called Pabbay, looking on Google maps there are some green areas (Baile-na-Cille) and  lots of rectangle shadows, any idea what they were? Old building?

You may need to zoom in to see them…..https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.7626093,-7.2353096,1432m/data=!3m1!1e3

Yes mate, habitation. For me the most telling of these aerial photos, are the stripes you see all over Harris, So called lazy beds [feannagen] where ever you see old habitation you will see miles of lazy beds, they were made by hand digging, then heaping in seaweed on to the poor soils, these raised beds also drained well, The crofters grew Oats and Tatties which was their main diet.. Its a fascinating history and well worth looking at if your interested.

Heres a picture from near me but they are literally everywhere. My god they had they were hardy, some of the beds and houses are right up in the moor

DsTQu--XQAAMSj4.thumb.jpg.8c7968942882e8e49baa92f66653ee41.jpg

DJI_0323.jpg.e8062fbe290b65bb80083190e5d5c3d4.jpg

Thanks Steve, it amazes me the amount of habitation on the islands past and present, always makes me wonder what people do/did for a living and just how inconvenient living in places like that are and were, as you say must be a hardy lot past and present, beautiful unspoilt place though.

On another note, will the demise of Flybe have much impact on you and others?

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Thanks Steve, it amazes me the amount of habitation on the islands past and present, always makes me wonder what people do/did for a living and just how inconvenient living in places like that are and were, as you say must be a hardy lot past and present, beautiful unspoilt place though.

On another note, will the demise of Flybe have much impact on you and others?

I think we only have ryan air. The island's was once thriving, people harvested seaweed for money and lived off the land, The market for seaweed decreased and the landowners cleared the people to graze sheep, many went to Canada etc, and some went to the less favoured areas to try and eek out a living.  a terrible time of hardship !

57 minutes ago, old'un said:

No keep the pictures coming Steve.

with that high tide will the sea water kill your willow trees? And your shed could do with a coat of wood preservative.

Cheers mate,  The bulk of the willows are well up the croft, preservative ! is it ?   that pattern took me best part of an hour, its supposed to be camo and it has green and creosote..😀

Edited by islandgun

17 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Cheers mate,  The bulk of the willows are well up the croft, preservative ! is it ?   that pattern took me best part of an hour, its supposed to be camo and it has green and creosote..😀

Oops :blush:….are you using it for an hide?….hope you have it anchored down, else it will end up in the North Atlantic, you may need to change the colour scheme to battleship grey. :)