Teachers /coronavirus

The Heron

They couldn't wait could they any excuse not to do any work schools closing despite being advised not to do so the sooner this government gets hold of this pampered profession the better and please don't tell me about tough iner City schools they aren't all like that take Christmas for example 3 weeks off and they decide to have a sobering up day sorry inset day the profession is a joke. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, jason g said:

I teach in alternative education and were not all like that presuming that all teachers are the same. I agree that its pampering but not by choice for the majority of teaching staff.

What’s alternative education?  Genuine question.

49 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Which schools have closed? In the U.K.? 

I heard 3 named schools earlier on LBC, but for sensationalism let’s go for an Express headline...”NINETEEN” in big letters 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1247500/uk-school-closures-coronavirus-news-latest-symptoms-Covid-19

Well we haven’t had any snow this year so they have been worked fairly hard since Christmas😁!

Tbf A few days off education won’t do the children any harm. School, from my experience at least, was more about learning the rules of society than anything else. The academic side was taken care of long before by biology, those that are naturally bright or naturally interested in a subject will succeed in it, and you cannot teach that. 

Getting the Coronavirus on the other hand won’t do them any good at all. I love my Chinese takeaway's but even I haven’t risked one of those in 3 weeks. 

Edited by zipdog

7 hours ago, The Heron said:

They couldn't wait could they any excuse not to do any work schools closing despite being advised not to do so the sooner this government gets hold of this pampered profession the better and please don't tell me about tough iner City schools they aren't all like that take Christmas for example 3 weeks off and they decide to have a sobering up day sorry inset day the profession is a joke. 

Are you serious?

7 hours ago, The Heron said:

Well, apparently your teachers couldn't manage to teach you basic punctuation -  so perhaps there's something in what you say.

20 minutes ago, henry d said:

Pampered?

I had to bring in paper to our local secondary school just so a young person could write a proposal/essay and my wife regularly comes home with bruises and occasionally I have to meet her at casualty when it is something worse.

Yeah, pampered.

Let us hope that those who assault your wife face due process of law regardless of their age.

Blackpowder

4 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Let us hope that those who assault your wife face due process of law regardless of their age.

Blackpowder

Not going to happen as they are childen with complex/multiple/physical/mental special needs and is seen as part of the job even though she gets paid the same as a main stream support assistant.

My sons school is the opposite! In December Ben caught a nasty rota virus, sickness & a trotty bot. I phoned in every day for the 2 week period except the last 2 days,(last to days he was clear but doctor advised to ensure he is clear for 48 hrs before going back). I even sent a letter in from the GP proving he had been to see his GP. It didn't stop them sending a threatening letter about attendance! Ben has probably only ever had about 3 days off prior to this in the last 5 years.Not once when i phoned in did 'the attendance office' (another created job) ask about Ben's well being, was only applying pressure to get him back into school.. Its all about attendance stat's, she tried to ensure me it wasn't when i phoned to complain about the letter. 

23 minutes ago, henry d said:

my wife regularly comes home with bruises and occasionally I have to meet her at casualty when it is something worse.

Teaching in the UK is an extremely high-stress job. The amount of paperwork that needs to be done is beyond parody and as you point out, large numbers of teachers face daily abuse or assault from their pupils. In my opinion anyone who is prepared to do the job deserves massive respect and society owes them a huge debt of gratitude.

And yet still people complain. Give them a week on the job and I'm sure they'd change their tunes though.

9 minutes ago, Davyo said:

My sons school is the opposite! In December Ben caught a nasty rota virus, sickness & a trotty bot. I phoned in every day for the 2 week period except the last 2 days,(last to days he was clear but doctor advised to ensure he is clear for 48 hrs before going back). I even sent a letter in from the GP proving he had been to see his GP. It didn't stop them sending a threatening letter about attendance! Ben has probably only ever had about 3 days off prior to this in the last 5 years.Not once when i phoned in did 'the attendance office' (another created job) ask about Ben's well being, was only applying pressure to get him back into school.. Its all about attendance stat's, she tried to ensure me it wasn't when i phoned to complain about the letter. 

Sounds about right.

My lad had a similar thing a few weeks back and my ex was worried about them making a fuss about he's attendance. 

I'm sure they would rather have the child in and clearing up behind him....

22 minutes ago, Davyo said:

11 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Sounds about right.

My lad had a similar thing a few weeks back and my ex was worried about them making a fuss about he's attendance. 

Well you know what to do next time, send them to school to spread the virus to all and sundry.

See what happens to their precious attendance record then.

Edited by Newbie to this

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Which schools have closed? In the U.K.? 

These are local to me and although not closed (yet) they have been affected by ski trips to Italy and put some parents/children in self-isolation (i.e - stay away from the schools).

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/staff-pupils-two-leicestershire-schools-3889880

11 minutes ago, hedge said:

These are local to me and although not closed (yet) they have been affected by ski trips to Italy and put some parents/children in self-isolation (i.e - stay away from the schools).

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/staff-pupils-two-leicestershire-schools-3889880

Sounds like a reasonable precaution. 

Teachers have the potential to be 'Super spreaders'. I could have taught 150 different students over the course of one day, in an enclosed, stuffy, densely populated classroom. This, and the dubious hygiene practices of children means that if it gets into the school population it will spread rapidly.

A sensible precaution.

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Sounds about right.

My wife (Ben's mum) is a retired teacher, got out last April at 52 yrs old. Fed up of the statistics of it all and the fact that its not about the child its about meeting Government stats. I remember with some dis believe  one year, my wife telling me that the Head had asked her to mark a number of her children down. Yes that right 'mark them down' because another member of staff needed to look good in an future Ofsted inspection.

Susan had coffee a few weeks back with two of her old colleagues. These two were supposed to be at work but met Sue in their 'PPA TIME'. I think that means that they get time for preparation so should either be done at home or at work.Not sitting in Hotel scoffing cakes and drinking coffee  

3 hours ago, henry d said:

Not going to happen as they are childen with complex/multiple/physical/mental special needs and is seen as part of the job even though she gets paid the same as a main stream support assistant.

So she decided to work in that environment. Like saying being a baker and getting covered in flour and occasionally getting burnt on the oven. Kind of goes with the job 

If your wife's not happy she should change jobs.

Children should be taught right and wrong and punished when done wrong. Too much mamby Pamby can hit them can't do this that and the other. Why not it worked for many many years. The schooling and teaching of today clearly are not turning out better than years gone by.

Lots of snowflakes taught in the age off kid gloves parenting and teaching are now teachers themselves. Corporal punishment should be brought back. 

Schools should have more backbone. Dish out masks and get back at it.

Edited by figgy