Teachers /coronavirus

The Heron

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

So she decided to work in that environment. Like saying being a baker and getting covered in flour and occasionally getting burnt on the oven. Kind of goes with the job 

If your wife's not happy she should change jobs.

Absolutely loves the job, however it is the council who assess the different jobs and decide the pay scale. She got a few 000 quid a while ago due to others doing the same work getting paid more and recently they dropped their grades due to the council saying they don`t do heavy lifting as there are hoists in the building for children that need them, this does not help when a child decides they are not going back into school and sits down in the playground, how do you get them back in?

She absolutely adores the job but age is creeping up on her and she is happily retiring at the end of the academic year, she so loves it she is passing on a legacy; her knowledge, she is giving 30 minute lectures on things she has learned over nearly 30 years in the job, hopefully HMIe have heard about this as they have been inspecting the school this week.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, henry d said:

Absolutely loves the job, however it is the council who assess the different jobs and decide the pay scale. She got a few 000 quid a while ago due to others doing the same work getting paid more and recently they dropped their grades due to the council saying they don`t do heavy lifting as there are hoists in the building for children that need them, this does not help when a child decides they are not going back into school and sits down in the playground, how do you get them back in?

Certainly not by man-handling them back into the building, if they are doing that I’m not surprised that staff are getting hit, bruised and ending up with injuries. 

40 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Certainly not by man-handling them back into the building, if they are doing that I’m not surprised that staff are getting hit, bruised and ending up with injuries. 

They don't do any manual handling of children, unless it is intimate care where there is some involved.

The injuries can occur at any time due to the children's problems, ASD, Down syndrome, global delay, toxic childhood, CP, etc etc

Got to be honest I couldn't teach the little darlings of today. I'd want to start hanging them on the walls by their feet and throwing them out the windows if they kept on being bad.

For the ones who want to stay on the floor, a good handful of ears and drag them inside. Only have to do it once. 

Corporal punishment should be brought back and dished out in front of the whole school. Nothing like being punished and embarrassed to make you think twice about doing it again.

16 hours ago, grrclark said:

What’s alternative education?  Genuine question.

In the college I work at, Alternative Education (we call it Alternative Provision) is an education programme individually tailored to engage pupils who are either unable or not suited to mainstream classroom education. This may be because they have special educational needs or that in a classroom setting, they are too disruptive, they refuse to engage, they are uncontrollable or whatever. In days gone by such kids would have probably ended up being expelled and receive no education at all. It gives these pupils another chance through, often 1:1 teaching, that identifies pathways to tap into their better side. If it works, it's great, if it fails, the kid ends up looking for a place in a Special School.

At least, that's Alternative Education as we practice it!

11 minutes ago, Okrang said:

In the college I work at, Alternative Education (we call it Alternative Provision) is an education programme individually tailored to engage pupils who are either unable or not suited to mainstream classroom education. This may be because they have special educational needs or that in a classroom setting, they are too disruptive, they refuse to engage, they are uncontrollable or whatever. In days gone by such kids would have probably ended up being expelled and receive no education at all. It gives these pupils another chance through, often 1:1 teaching, that identifies pathways to tap into their better side. If it works, it's great, if it fails, the kid ends up looking for a place in a Special School.

Thanks for that explanation.

42 minutes ago, Okrang said:

Can I ask which college this is? I work in a company who support FE and HE, would be interesting to know exactly what your college offers and what potential it would have if it was more widely adopted. 

I teach young people who are excluded from school/ mainstream education. I also teach sen students 14-16yrs and my English may not be brilliant but it's not required for my teaching we have other staff for that area. My teaching is motor vehicle and construction skills to give young people an opportunity to learn a trade and hopefully put them back on track. 

1 hour ago, Okrang said:

2 minutes ago, jason g said:

I teach young people who are excluded from school/ mainstream education. I also teach sen students 14-16yrs and my English may not be brilliant but it's not required for my teaching we have other staff for that area. My teaching is motor vehicle and construction skills to give young people an opportunity to learn a trade and hopefully put them back on track. 

Interesting stuff, I work in a similar area but third sector.

3 hours ago, henry d said:

They don't do any manual handling of children, unless it is intimate care where there is some involved.

The injuries can occur at any time due to the children's problems, ASD, Down syndrome, global delay, toxic childhood, CP, etc etc

Apologies, your previous post talking about use a hoists, manual handling, and what to do when they're laid down in the playground suggested they did. 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

For the ones who want to stay on the floor, a good handful of ears and drag them inside. Only have to do it once. 

Corporal punishment should be brought back and dished out in front of the whole school. Nothing like being punished and embarrassed to make you think twice about doing it again.

You'd only do it once as the 18 stone dad would pop down to have a chat with you after school and stretch your ears a bit too. 

Always slightly disturbing when a grown adult advocates beating children. 

18 hours ago, The Heron said:

They couldn't wait could they any excuse not to do any work schools closing despite being advised not to do so the sooner this government gets hold of this pampered profession the better and please don't tell me about tough iner City schools they aren't all like that take Christmas for example 3 weeks off and they decide to have a sobering up day sorry inset day the profession is a joke. 

Yes baby......

Add on the £50k at tax payers expense. 

Loads of holidays, did I tell you I get 12 weeks per year. 

Might have forgot to say I finish at 14.45 every day, that’s lunch time and only half a day down.   

Pension, well it’s OK I suppose.......

INSET days - boosh, we do coffee - lunch - coffee  - home (all with a hangover I might add)  

PS - don’t tell anyone, don’t want people coming into the profession and ruining it....

14 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Imagine the massive outcry and financial repercussions if any of those kids or teachers who accompanied them develop the virus.

Exactly.  Anyone returning from the Continent or for that matter anywhere at the moment should be placed on a self imposed quarantine. If they would not comply then non self imposed.  Four weeks and the whole thing would be sorted.

I'm working at the wrong place I wish I was on that sort of money. The young people I work with are of poor back grounds and are th hardest to reach in the borough. I wish we had a better budget to put more into staff and give them more opportunities than we do now. We're fortunate enough to have a good few friends and associates to help out and some donate things of use.

41 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

You'd only do it once as the 18 stone dad would pop down to have a chat with you after school and stretch your ears a bit too. 

Always slightly disturbing when a grown adult advocates beating children. 

He better be bigger than 18 stone,

Not disturbing at all, been going on since records began and probably long before. Punishment by smacking or caning is a very good deterrent. As humans were hard wired in the main to avoid pain.  When people were publicly flogged and birched the repeat offending was much lower. Same with getting caned at school. If you were fighting or some other wrong doing, that was deemed bad enough and got six of the best, you thought long and hard about doing it again or getting caught doing it. If all they could do was say don't do that again or I'll tell you off again you ruffian, hmm would you toe the line and do as told.  Nope as no deterrent to make you stop, carry on and go wild, no one can stop you. Sounds just like youths of today. Yep that's just what loads of them are like. Plod can't be bothered not can courts or parents as their child is an angel.

Beating children when naughty works, always has always will. As for turns them into violent people, nope it doesn't. They learn what's right and wrong and consequences. 

My daughter regularly gives her son a telling off and taps his hand if he persists being naughty. He stops as he don't like it. 

When I went to school and you got a caning you didn't run home and tell your parents unless you wanted another clouting.  Much better society to live in.

Edited by figgy

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

Not disturbing at all, been going on since records began and probably long before. Punishment by smacking or caning is a very good detergent. As humans were hard wired in the main to avoid pain.  When people were publicly flogged and birched the repeat offending was much lower. Same with getting caned at school. If you were fighting or some other wrong doing, that was deemed bad enough and got six of the best, you thought long and hard about doing it again or getting caught doing it. If all they could do was say don't do that again or I'll tell you off again you ruffian, hmm would you toe the line and do as told.  Nope as no deterrent to make you stop, carry on and go wild, no one can stop you. Sounds just like youths of today. Yep that's just what loads of them are like. Plod can't be bothered not can courts or parents as their child is an angel.

Beating children when naughty works, always has always will. As for turns them into violent people, nope it doesn't. They learn what's right and wrong and consequences. 

My daughter regularly gives her son a telling off and taps his hand if he persists being naughty. He stops as he don't like it. 

When I went to school and you got a caning you didn't run home and tell your parents unless you wanted another clouting.  Much better society to live in.

That would certainly clean things up.

Love the Freudian slip!

8 minutes ago, figgy said:

Not disturbing at all, been going on since records began and probably long before. Punishment by smacking or caning is a very good detergent. As humans were hard wired in the main to avoid pain.  When people were publicly flogged and birched the repeat offending was much lower. Same with getting caned at school. If you were fighting or some other wrong doing, that was deemed bad enough and got six of the best, you thought long and hard about doing it again or getting caught doing it. If all they could do was say don't do that again or I'll tell you off again you ruffian, hmm would you toe the line and do as told.  Nope as no deterrent to make you stop, carry on and go wild, no one can stop you. Sounds just like youths of today. Yep that's just what loads of them are like. Plod can't be bothered not can courts or parents as their child is an angel.

Ever wondered if some of them are the way they are because they get beaten? 

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Can I ask which college this is? I work in a company who support FE and HE, would be interesting to know exactly what your college offers and what potential it would have if it was more widely adopted. 

It should all be on the council / school website, local offer. 

That's my new Ditchman speshul spellcheker cz weeks bril.

To answer GingeCat, no I don't think being punished for doing wrong makes them the way they are. 

A nice shooting analogy,  air rifle limit is 12ftlb, willfully go over it and set your gun too high and get caught you get in all sorts of bother and maybe a few years in jail. Only a fool would risk it. Now if all you could get was a that's naughty so don't it please. Would the limit be adhered too. 

The saying play with fire you'll get burned is very apt for when I was a child. Do wrong get caught you'd be in for some pain. You had choices, be good or risk the pain. 

I never condone beating any child person or animal because you feel.like it or are having a bad day. 

Edited by figgy