Anti depressants and shotgun applications

TVPC

Maybe a touchy subject for some. Or a biased one...who knows 

Just looking for anyone who has experienced this first hand. 

I have my application in for a shotgun. I have aspergers but it has never stopped me from anything in life. I've a good job, a mortgage, a wife, 2 kids and all the rest of it. 

I am on antidepressants to help assist with my condition, and have been since my diagnosis many years ago. I have no record of any kind for incidents etc.....but my worry is the police will have a very limited understanding of what aspergers is.  A couple of cautions from my teens which  were fully declared and the FEO said it was so long ago and minor they will not even show up probably. 

Anyways fast forward a few weeks and I get a letter from the police saying they require a medical report form my doctor. Which I suspected they would want so that was sent in promptly by my doctor as he fully supports my application and declares me as he puts it "responsible and fit" to be entrusted. 

Basc have assured me my chances shouldn't be affected by this

I'm basically now just waiting for a visit or a refusal letter. 

In peoples experience, what are my chances? 

P.S be gentle haha 

Bit of a long story, I had a stroke at work. Woke up in hospital miles from home. Wife is disabled so unable to visit. After a couple of days I had a regular morning Drs round visit thing.

Good morning Andy says he, I've reviewed your notes and its unlikely you'll be able to walk properly again, you have sleep Apnoea,  your going to be on insulin injections you're now a diabetic, possibly morphine injections or patches for pain, you're suffering Meniere's and we're revoking your HGV licence...... So how are you feeling today?

On top of the f'ing world says I, out of the side of my face that was working🤣

Shaking his head he retreated and I was treated for depression without my knowledge until my own Dr reviewed my meds and asked me about the circumstances and took me off them.

But....its on my medical records that I've been on meds for depression and that I can't change.

I was interviewed and had to have a medical with an independent Dr because of this, despite my FEO laughing her head off when I explained the circumstances. She at least has a sense of humour. She backed by application as did the Dr.

It's all about risk to the public and yourself, if you're not either then there's absolutely no reason not to grant you a certificate. 

BASC offered to represent me if refused because of this.

Should be fine. FEOs have to understand that "anti depressants" are prescribed for many things and not just for those that could pose a risk.

There's a braid spectrum of people and situations for anti depressants and as much as i support FEOs being cautious sense must prevail at the end.

Update when you get your ticket.

Edd

11 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Bit of a long story, I had a stroke at work. Woke up in hospital miles from home. Wife is disabled so unable to visit. After a couple of days I had a regular morning Drs round visit thing.

Good morning Andy says he, I've reviewed your notes and its unlikely you'll be able to walk properly again, you have sleep Apnoea,  your going to be on insulin injections you're now a diabetic, possibly morphine injections or patches for pain, you're suffering Meniere's and we're revoking your HGV licence...... So how are you feeling today?

On top of the f'ing world says I, out of the side of my face that was working🤣

Shaking his head he retreated and I was treated for depression without my knowledge until my own Dr reviewed my meds and asked me about the circumstances and took me off them.

But....its on my medical records that I've been on meds for depression and that I can't change.

I was interviewed and had to have a medical with an independent Dr because of this, despite my FEO laughing her head off when I explained the circumstances. She at least has a sense of humour. She backed by application as did the Dr.

It's all about risk to the public and yourself, if you're not either then there's absolutely no reason not to grant you a certificate. 

BASC offered to represent me if refused because of this.

It's about the Police read end covering, really, hidden under the guise of public protection.

Nice to see some positive responses. 

Quite encouraging, but I guess I'll have to just wait and see. 

I also feel it may differ from force to force too. 

I'm in Northumberland so I've no idea what they are like, although I hear Durham force are rather understanding in their approach to grant if an applicant is shown to be taking correct measures to address their issue/illness. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/02/2020 at 21:02, TVPC said:

Maybe a touchy subject for some. Or a biased one...who knows 

Just looking for anyone who has experienced this first hand. 

I have my application in for a shotgun. I have aspergers but it has never stopped me from anything in life. I've a good job, a mortgage, a wife, 2 kids and all the rest of it. 

I am on antidepressants to help assist with my condition, and have been since my diagnosis many years ago. I have no record of any kind for incidents etc.....but my worry is the police will have a very limited understanding of what aspergers is.  A couple of cautions from my teens which  were fully declared and the FEO said it was so long ago and minor they will not even show up probably. 

Anyways fast forward a few weeks and I get a letter from the police saying they require a medical report form my doctor. Which I suspected they would want so that was sent in promptly by my doctor as he fully supports my application and declares me as he puts it "responsible and fit" to be entrusted. 

Basc have assured me my chances shouldn't be affected by this

I'm basically now just waiting for a visit or a refusal letter. 

In peoples experience, what are my chances? 

P.S be gentle haha 

Take it from someone who knows, your cautions from your teens,will not be spent,they will show up when they do there checks, as for anti depressants, they are used for many different things,if your doctor explains why you take these,then there should be no problem, ATB.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my paperwork into Essex about 10 days ago, my SGC runs out in May.

I took a call from the FEO this afternoon who ran through everything over the phone. My GP referal stated treatment for Stress and Anxiety which the FEO asked me about, I explained the circumstances of it and the treatment. They congratulated me for seeking help and approved my renewall, moving forward they requested that I declare it on each future renewall.

Happy days!