Badger cull

Rewulf

First off, due to the nature of the subject it may be better to respond to this via PM, but its entirely up to you.

Basically, Ive been asked to participate in a 'possible' cull later on this year (Its not in Nottingham)
Obviously I have to do the course first.
Just a few questions regarding the costs of the course, and the returns on said cull, from anyone who has done it or doing it.
The main reason Im asking, is there are a few things that dont 'add up' if you get my drift.

Cheers

It's not as easy as you think and it's definitely  not a money making thing either when you first start you normally get a lower density of animals 

and the boys that have been doing it for a couple of years that have proved themselves get the better areas it may be different in your area most of the boys do to gain access to land then shoot afterwards  if you cover your costs all is well and good and gained some new land to shoot over

25 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

most of the boys do to gain access to land then shoot afterwards

This is my main reason, Im not in it for the money.

Its more a case of is the person/company running it, doing it for the money.
Thats what I meant by 'things that dont add up'

21 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

If you pass it ? 
not doubting your ability here but I’ve seen plenty missing the target with the ammunition you have to use 

The way it was put to me didnt mention anything about using anything other than what you normally use , as long as its 50 gn or over , with 1000 ft lb, at a 3 inch kill at 70 yards ?
I would think if you cant manage that, you need to give up live quarry !

Thanks for the replies gents :good:

12 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The way it was put to me didnt mention anything about using anything other than what you normally use , as long as its 50 gn or over , with 1000 ft lb, at a 3 inch kill at 70 yards ?
I would think if you cant manage that, you need to give up live quarry !

Thanks for the replies gents :good:

Yes you use the ammo you would normally use you also need to buddy up with someone not go on your own you call in every time you go out so they know where you are and call in when you leave. You are sometimes on a tracker system its all about safety you also get confronted by the loony brigade try not to lose your head which is what they want 

5 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Yes you use the ammo you would normally use you also need to buddy up with someone not go on your own you call in every time you go out so they know where you are and call in when you leave. You are sometimes on a tracker system its all about safety you also get confronted by the loony brigade try not to lose your head which is what they want 

Thanks, Ill give it some thought , it does sound like a bit of hassle :good:

On 28/02/2020 at 18:07, CharlieT said:

Obviously the companies set up to run the cull  all work differently.

However, those I know pay for all costs. 

I look at it as a neighborly duty.

as long as you know the anatomy of the animal you are hunting/stalking and a swift kill      unlike the police marksmen  used previously wearing clone and no idea   doooooh      country folk know how to stalk      and know  what's in their area    and how to dispatch efficiently   as taught by parents and grandparents  as I was         without a badge from a self appointed expert   like health and safety consultants  read a book set up a company      and not relevant to your job  

38 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

You hardly need to be Rambo to sneak up on a badger do you.

Yes perfectly worded.. 

Sorry if you can't find a badger and get within feet of it  during the night you shouldn't class yourself as a countryman really. 

Edited by washerboy