game cartridges for the colour blind

I hate not being able to pick up empties and really struggle to see red or green shells against the normal green or brown floor when shooting. Anyone know of any UK manufacturers making yellow or blue cased 12 bore shells in standard game or pigeon loads??  ideally 32 grams with fibre wads.

Rc sipe are yellow if you can find them locally.https://www.bywellshootingground.co.uk/cartridges-ammunition/game-cartridges/12-gauge/rc-sipe-32-gram-6-plastic.html

Maybe the gun room could help. Failing that hull superfast pigeon which i currently use are blue (darkish). Only 29gm but very good all round shell.

Or maybe a magnet stick like the auto boys use.

Atb mate👍

26 minutes ago, scolopax said:

I hate not being able to pick up empties and really struggle to see red or green shells against the normal green or brown floor when shooting. Anyone know of any UK manufacturers making yellow or blue cased 12 bore shells in standard game or pigeon loads??  ideally 32 grams with fibre wads.

Yellow is normally off limits due to 20b cartridges geing this colour and most English manufacturers stick to this.

Gamebore, Eley and Lyalvale do black cartridges, Hull Blue.

When I was a boy 20 Bore cartridges were pink if paper and when the first plastic cases came in those cases were yellow. Therefore there has been an agreement maybe informal that 20 Bore are yellow. I for one would strongly urge you not to use yellow as your "go to" 12 Bore cartridges. The reason is that inadvertently a yellow 20 Bore will enter a 12 Bore chamber and allow a 12 Bore cartridge to then be chambered behind it.

Maybe Gamebore "Clear Pigeon" that are in truth whiteish or Lylvale Supreme Game that are black. Both offer a fibre wad with 32 gram English #6.

Edited by enfieldspares

20 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

When I was a boy 20 Bore cartridges were pink if paper and when the first plastic cases came in those cases were yellow. Therefore there has been an agreement maybe informal that 20 Bore are yellow. I for one would strongly urge you not to use yellow as your "go to" 12 Bore cartridges. The reason is that inadvertently a yellow 20 Bore will enter a 12 Bore chamber and allow a 12 Bore cartridge to then be chambered behind it.

Maybe Gamebore "Clear Pigeon" that are in truth whiteish or Lylvale Supreme Game that are black. Both offer a fibre wad with 32 gram English #6.

Id also agree that Gamebore clear pigeon should be ok as long as you can see the clear cases. 

Available in 30/32g 5/6’s ... I have used the 30g 6’s to drop some very good birds with my side by side. 

1 minute ago, aga man said:

Last ones i used were black with silver head. The superfast pigeon will impress you im sure. £57 (250) from ripon farm services mkt weighton. 

I have some Eley HV pigeon currently but they are green and I spend more time looking down for empties than I do looking up for pigeons lol

3 minutes ago, scolopax said:

I have some Eley HV pigeon currently but they are green and I spend more time looking down for empties than I do looking up for pigeons lol

Shame as i hear they are a good cartridge, all be it a bit pricey.

I would use the super fast for everthing no bother. Similar to the old three crowns i would say.(showing our age now!)

Edited by aga man

The op would have been alright with the old Yellow Wizards , if I remember rightly the case was Yellow , price wise they would be a bit dearer now than the 12/6d in old money for box of 25 , or 62 1/2p that I used to pay from the hardware shop , decent cartridge but would leave fragments of powder in the breech now and again .

12 hours ago, scolopax said:

If you’re coulor blind how do you know there red or green? 🤔
sipe fibre 32 grams are silver if that’s a help  

13 hours ago, scolopax said:

I am same as you, gamebore clear pigeon are a lot easier to find especially using the semi auto,they are 32g fibre. 

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

If you’re coulor blind how do you know there red or green? 🤔
sipe fibre 32 grams are silver if that’s a help  

colour blindness is hard to describe, I am red/green colour blind like most are. It is not best described as colour blindness, more like colour confusion, I can see all colours, especially in the primary, but lose the ability to differentiate those in the red/ green range when put against those in the same spectrum. My analogy is I can clearly see a yellow buttercup in a grass field at whatever distance, say 100 m, but for me to see the red poppy next to it you would have to pick it and almost put it into my hand, then I would plainly see it was scarlet. Green brown is a bit more difficult (don't get me started on about biege)  I can tell you a fresh leaf is green, because I know it is, although my sight is telling me it is obviously brown. 

Edited by scolopax

11 hours ago, scolopax said:

colour blindness is hard to describe, I am red/green colour blind like most are. It is not best described as colour blindness, more like colour confusion, I can see all colours, especially in the primary, but lose the ability to differentiate those in the red/ green range when put against those in the same spectrum. My analogy is I can clearly see a yellow buttercup in a grass field at whatever distance, say 100 m, but for me to see the red poppy next to it you would have to pick it and almost put it into my hand, then I would plainly see it was scarlet. Green brown is a bit more difficult (don't get me started on about biege)  I can tell you a fresh leaf is green, because I know it is, although my sight is telling me it is obviously brown. 

So correct me if I'm wrong, you need something in the yellow, which is probably not going to happen or clear, white, or reflective?

Can you see black? 

I think as a non colour blind person its hard to understand your needs. I obviously don't fully understand as I thought blue was indistinguishable too.

Having re read your first post and the quoted one, it seems that Clear pigeon should work.

Try browsing the website of places like just cartridges, they picture a couple of cartridges alongside the box. Alternatively, go to a clay ground and look in the empties, I know they'll all be under 28gram but it may help with the manufacturers. 

Good luck and let us know what you find, I find posts like this very interesting.

I see your East Yorks, I'm in Sheffield, next time I'm your way do you want me to drop you a slack handful of clear pigeon to try, 32g fibre. I occasionally shoot mid week at Park lodge. 

👍

Edited by Centrepin
Addition

I have to say I feel it is unlikely that any of the manufacturers will make a cartridge just so a colour blind shooter might pick it up when expended.

When you consider that only 8% of males and 0.5% of females are colour blind amongst the population, it is not a problem that will be solved.

I am not colour blind, have perfect vision (eyes like a S. House Rat according to a main contractor I keep snagging) and yet spent cartridges still manage to evade my eyes.

However my Beretta has selectable ejector/extractors - perfect. On a peg or in a hide I set to ‘eject’ for speed. Walked up or on foreshore I ’extract’ so I can pop them in my poacher’s pocket. All it takes is a small flat head screw driver. 

On 28/02/2020 at 22:33, Lloyd90 said:

Id also agree that Gamebore clear pigeon should be ok as long as you can see the clear cases. 

Available in 30/32g 5/6’s ... I have used the 30g 6’s to drop some very good birds with my side by side. 

Only 6’s I’m afraid