New small business

SSS

I recently incorporated my first business after a period of self employment. 
does anyone have any tips on pushing to get more work, is it a case of approaching companies and straight up asking them? Current customers have all come off the back of referrals from friends and contacts. Most are generally long term repeat customers but only have little amounts of work and I’m pretty keen on taking someone on to earn a bit more! 
I deal with Waste and Recycling equipment, mechanical, hydraulic and electrical engineering and welding and fabrication. 

SSS

2ACDD983-1971-4F3C-B86B-63EE667CBDF1.png

Finding new business is always a challenge and the best route to success is through contacts you already have, much easier than a cold call out the blue.

As Ben suggests advertise as best you can, promote your business hard on LinkedIn, if you don't use that then start to.

Don't be shy to pick up the phone, it can be a soul destroying exercise, but set yourself one day a week/fortnight to do exactly that.  Research businesses that are likely to have a need for your services, try to find out as much about them as you can so when you make the phone call or contact that you are talking with a bit more confidence of how you can help them.

Do you have a web-site? Just a simple few pages to show people who you are and maybe have some recommendations and examples of what work you do. Once set up, this can be maintained for c.£50 a year.

A business Facebook page is also quite easy to set up.

Look to adverstise in either local free ads or the local village magazines that target the sort of demograhphic (customer) that you want to attrract. The cost can be minimal.

I'm not sure what your products or target audience are but you can get some decent exposure with minimal outlay.

We live in a world of social media and technology. People like to look you up and check you out. 

Referrals and recommendations are lovely, but rarely enough to keep you going. 

Good product, good service, good pricing (that doesn't mean cheap). Reputation is everything as a small business. 

Appreciate the replies. I have started to set up a website, bought a .com domain and set up a Facebook page, never used LinkedIn but have set up a page yesterday. 

Time is my biggest constraint currently. 

My business is generally B2B so I didn’t know if it would be worth advertising in local rags and mags. I have ZERO experience when it comes to marketing and it’s a huge flaw!

edit: I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post links to my site etc on here, not been in the Forums for a while - Byrkley ltd will generate results on Facebook

Edited by SSS

23 minutes ago, old'un said:

Without doubt a good website will bring in inquiries.

PS not that keen on the  logo BYRKLEY took me a couple of seconds for my eyes to pick it out, might just be me.

Sorry SSS, but I have to agree with old'un here………  The logo is a bit OTT.

Your target customer base is a bit nondescript, however, if you are interested in M&E contracts you can find many lead suppliers online (for a small price) and go from there👍

31 minutes ago, old'un said:

PS not that keen on the  logo BYRKLEY took me a couple of seconds for my eyes to pick it out, might just be me.

2 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Sorry SSS, but I have to agree with old'un here………  The logo is a bit OTT.

Appreciate the feedback guys thanks

Edited by SSS

Website. Business cards and flyers. Online social media presence. A clean van with well presented decals incorporating name and contact numbers. Clean and tidy work uniform/clothing (NO tracksuit rubbish). Footfall to other businesses with a smile and can do attitude, no job too small. 
 Get out there and whore yourself. Be positive.

A cheeky tip to keep small business in people's minds. Do facetweet and advertise those keys/purse/wallet etc etc, apparently small cute dogs work as well, that you recently found for collection by the owner.

Your page gets 100s if not 1000s of likes, follows, re tweets, shares etc.

Ethical🙄 in business isn't it about getting your name talked about?

A local buisness near me often finds things when hes walking his dogs due to no work about. Then hes suddenly busy😏

If you're B2B then social media will be less effective than with B2C in my experience, unless your customers are massively into social media marketing themselves. I am a little sceptical about people who tell you they can get you to the top of google searches but I 100% agree that a decent website that's easy to navigate and tells customers what you exactly do in as few a number of seconds as possible is a good idea. 

The best marketing / selling is actually free, as grrcark says above, use your contacts and gain referrals, there's nothing like it. Never be afraid to ask. I have the following on my work email signature, and whilst it's a bit cheesy it actually works:

PLEASE, DON'T KEEP ME A SECRET! I build my business on reputation and referrals. If you're happy with the service I provide, tell your friends, business contacts and colleagues. 

Best of luck. 

My slight concern is that you spend a lot of energy chucking the muck against the wall and hoping some sticks. I think you need to decide what your core business is in profit terms and try and focus on potential targets. Linked in was very successful for me but I was in professional services. One piece of advice is that when you meet people who may be leads don’t wait for them to contact you. If you get business cards follow up the next day with an email, and linked in invitation if you find them on there, good to meet you etc hope we can do some business together, and follow it up every few months unless you are told to get stuffed.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, SSS said:

I recently incorporated my first business after a period of self employment.......and I’m pretty keen on taking someone on to earn a bit more

My advice is don't do this because you'll spend more time on people problems than actually working. Can you trust someone else to do the job - and the customer facing bit - as well as you do?

Work out what is a comfortable living for you, aim at getting 1 years cash in the Bank, then work to suit your needs. That is the best things about self employment - time off with the family or fishing / shooting etc.

Customers are a pita whose loyalty generally only extends for as long as your price is right so be prepared to lose a few as you gain a few at the other end. Deciding who you work for and who you want to drop is key.  

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Your business seems to covers a wide area which of these is your main field?

Waste and Recycling equipment.

mechanical, hydraulic and electrical engineering.

welding and fabrication. 

My main area of business is the repair of waste and recycling equipment which involves all of the above. 

4 hours ago, SSS said:

Appreciate the replies. I have started to set up a website, bought a .com domain and set up a Facebook page, never used LinkedIn but have set up a page yesterday. 

Time is my biggest constraint currently. 

My business is generally B2B so I didn’t know if it would be worth advertising in local rags and mags. I have ZERO experience when it comes to marketing and it’s a huge flaw!

edit: I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post links to my site etc on here, not been in the Forums for a while - Byrkley ltd will generate results on Facebook

what is it?

Just done Google search for each of the following.

waste and recycling equipment.

mechanical, hydraulic and electrical engineering.

welding and fabrication. 

All give very high hits so you may struggle with rankings/competition, one way to improve this is key words/phrases on the home page.

Lets say your main area of business is “waste and recycling equipment repair” try to include these words as much has possible on your home page blurb, also add words that are relevant to other services your business offers, that will help give possible search engine returns for anyone searching for services you offer, Google loves text.

do a Google search for “waste and recycling equipment repair” then look at the home page of the top 5 or 6 websites.

Domain name can also help but don’t go with the obvious like the three above, I tried a search for “waste and recycling equipment repair” I then looked at the domains and the top results included ‘recycling’ in the domain name, you could go with something like www.bewrecycling.co.uk.

Recycling being the key word/phrase for search engine bots.

Edited by old'un

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, my son has a small business and has the company name beginning with A so when you google web site it come s up on first/ page, you could try a different approach to your Heading Title

That does not work anymore, they got wise to people having domains like, www.aaa111boilerrepairs.com

The name is not easy to remember correctly. So far as I can tell it’s a dyslexic version of Berkerly, which would be the spelling I would google if I remembered the name. You can get around this with very aggressive search optimisation as I understand it. 

I do apologise profusely if the name chosen is your family name. 

Thanks for the input. My domain name is www.byrkley.com. 
I built the website using squarespace because I am currently very time poor (could be worse things to complain about than being busy!) and it’s especially easy to do on there  

I have already incorporated and chosen the name so changing the spelling is not an option. I appreciate what you’re saying and I thought the same thing when I came up with it. When spoke to my accountant he offered me some business advice and said not to worry about the business name, the ‘tag line’ and branding is more important. 

15 hours ago, SSS said:

Thanks for the input. My domain name is www.byrkley.com. 
I built the website using squarespace because I am currently very time poor (could be worse things to complain about than being busy!) and it’s especially easy to do on there  

I have already incorporated and chosen the name so changing the spelling is not an option. I appreciate what you’re saying and I thought the same thing when I came up with it. When spoke to my accountant he offered me some business advice and said not to worry about the business name, the ‘tag line’ and branding is more important. 

I agree with your accountant, the spelling of your name and the logo are things that it's easy to stress over and spend way more time fretting about than is actually worthwhile.  Nobody is not going to buy from you because they think your logo is dodgy, you're not Shell or Apple.

On the Website and social media front, especially LinkedIn, do some searches yourself and find a college/uni student who will keep things up to date for you a half day per week.  They can schedule updates to come out on certain days so it is not just a random update now and again when you find time.  They can also do some research for you on the likes on LinkedIn, finding people and businesses who are likely your target market and coming up with a a strategy to get you visible to them.

The bigger your network the greater the exposure.  As Thunderbird suggests, don't be shy in asking other to spread the good word, that would include asking contacts on LinkedIn to share posts on your behalf, etc.  You will find that people are more willing to help then you might imagine.

Paying someone £50-£70 for a half day of solid work is cheap in the grand scheme of things and your time is more valuable.