Ridgeline or Deerhunter ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

I'm after a new jacket mainly for dog walking. Opinions please.

Thanks all.

I have a Deerhunter, Muflon Jacket that is coming on, four years old now. I wear it for work and everything else and is still water tight. when it filthy I just machine wash with Nikwax although I am not convinced Nikwax actually does anything. this jacket has had a pounding and is still going strong. I have no experience with Ridgeline but have heard a few saying the leak abit especially the smocks but like I say that is second hand info.     

I have two ridgeline smocks, lightweight and heavyweight plus a jacket. All keep the weather out. The smocks are used for wildfowling depending on season and the jacket for dog walking. I am very happy with them but they are not very breathable so you do sweat up. I also have a deer hunter cammo jacket. I would say there is little to choose but I do prefer the ridgeline.

I love deerhunter stuff, can be got very cheap from places like SGC and ebay on sale. I think they are excellent value for money. I have had several coats over the years and a smock (which is now my go to beating coat). Seem to get 4 or 5 years out of them before any major problems (usually rips or zips breaking), but they do get a hammering during the season. 

If it is just a jacket for dog walking, check out your local fishing tackle store. I picked up a great Snowbee 'Field' coat for £65. Fold away hood, neoprene adjustable inner cuffs, cotton lining, inside game pocket, fleece lined handwarmer pockets and 2 large cartridge pockets with tabs to keep them open, if required. They are designed for fly fishing so do not ride up when you lift your arms in mounting a gun. It has been 100% waterproof too.

On 29/02/2020 at 15:59, WelshAndy said:

Check out Hunters Element. 

New Zealand company and their gear is quality and reasonably priced. 

I have the odyssey jacket and downpour trousers. 
I've been walking the dogs in the wonderful weather we’ve had recently and they’ve not leaked :good:

I hadn't heard of this until now, Price seems reasonable as well, I might have to spend more money.

On 29/02/2020 at 15:59, WelshAndy said:

Check out Hunters Element. 

New Zealand company and their gear is quality and reasonably priced. 

I have the odyssey jacket and downpour trousers. 
I've been walking the dogs in the wonderful weather we’ve had recently and they’ve not leaked :good:

Did you get hit with customs charges when ordering or is there a UK distributor