Unprotected steel cartridges.

Take a look at this as a change from watching BASC implode.

This is NOT intended to promote steel shells without a protective wad but to illustrate to those wary about using steel that, provided their gun meets the appropriate criteria,steel shot won`t destroy the barrels.

Edited by mudpatten

It would have been a much more informative video if Johnny had cleaned the barrel prior to shooting and used a bore scope so we all could see. Then again after the shooting of steel, that mark may have been there before shooting steel. May have been some plastic fouling not removed.

As for BASC and the rest of our so called organisations.  I'm still flabbergasted that they all voluntarily agreed to this, and not consulting their paying members us a disgrace.

The lot of them are worthless. They don't have any teeth to start with but shooting themselves through both feet is unforgivable.

I'd like to see if the cartridge manufacturers get on board and shooters or if they all put two fingers up and continue to use lead. It is only voluntary and no one has to take any notice at all.

When prices for eco wadded steel carts become cheaper than lead, people may switch. Until then I won't pay the silly prices and will continue to use very good lead fiber wad carts.  Only steel will be for Wildfowling.

This 70% of shooters are ignoring the lead ban on duck drives etc. The current laws should be enforced not this debacle. Also easy fixed no duck drives if you don't have and use steel.

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, figgy said:

It would have been a much more informative video if Johnny had cleaned the barrel prior to shooting and used a bore scope so we all could see. Then again after the shooting of steel, that mark may have been there before shooting steel. May have been some plastic fouling not removed.

As for BASC and the rest of our so called organisations.  I'm still flabbergasted that they all voluntarily agreed to this, and not consulting their paying members us a disgrace.

The lot of them are worthless. They don't have any teeth to start with but shooting themselves through both feet is unforgivable.

I'd like to see if the cartridge manufacturers get on board and shooters or if they all put two fingers up and continue to use lead. It is only voluntary and no one has to take any notice at all.

When prices for eco wadded steel carts become cheaper than lead, people may switch. Until then I won't pay the silly prices and will continue to use very good lead fiber wad carts.  Only steel will be for Wildfowling.

This 70% of shooters are ignoring the lead ban on duck drives etc. The current laws should be enforced not this debacle. Also easy fixed no duck drives if you don't have and use steel.

The law is the law re ducks and steel, but the law is also an ****. 

I’m stood in a field, a pheasant flies over, I shoot the pheasant with lead, all perfectly fine.

A duck then happens to come over, it is for some reason (yes, the law) ... not ok to shoot that duck with the same exact cartridge I just shot the pheasant with. Even if they are on the same flight line, etc etc etc. 

What absolute nonsense. 

Lloyd90,

I agree the law is completely wrong, it should have been worded, no lead shot over waterways and wetlands.

Stood in a farmer's fields no water anywhere and have to use non toxic for geese. Then you can shoot pigeons with lead in same place.

Shoot as many pageant partridge vermin and pests over water, that's fine and legal because it's not wildfowl.  Beggars belief they got this so wrong.

7 minutes ago, figgy said:

Lloyd90,

I agree the law is completely wrong, it should have been worded, no lead shot over waterways and wetlands.

Stood in a farmer's fields no water anywhere and have to use non toxic for geese. Then you can shoot pigeons with lead in same place.

Shoot as many pageant partridge vermin and pests over water, that's fine and legal because it's not wildfowl.  Beggars belief they got this so wrong.

Its still lead though. look at it anyway we want but we throw many many tons of the stuff all over our countryside, wildfowlers dont and its not just about ammounts shot either, most fowlers load not all but more than most other forms of shooting apart from clays and some pigeon shooters. 

We have to rid ourselves of lead its that simple. If legislation comes in then where will we be.?

Think if the orgs sugestion was law now,?. Now there we do have a problem. we need to invoke change in our selves and as such forse the manufacturers to move on this or go under. wile we are still lining their pockets with money buying lead off them they will keep selling it to you, and its all they will make.

If we all get behind the steel move right now it wont be long until they sit up and take notice then. You watch the money appear then for wad development.

We need to change now get behind this it makes complete sense long term. Steel in plaswads for now is one good move its going to help force changes.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of a rough Fabarm euro 3"25inch barrel"  i bought for £80"no chokes hacksaw job" Bought it just for playing with these new wad ideas. . .

Did this test to see if any pin holing to the card wraps could scratch bores.

Just put 20   chedite cae A381 powder op wad nitro card undershot card then shot no wrapper card. 3 inch 35 gram loads through it with not a scratch.  35 gram of Clay games copper plated BBs, my opinion  anything like simple card wrap with copper coated BBs should be sine long term if any pin holing occurs. .

Guest cookoff013

the guys in the states did this with just fibre wad and steel shot when there was the first restrictions. 

they did it with guns they didnt mind shredding the barrel. because they can buy spare barrels and spare guns willy-nilly.

they just exchanged lead for steel directly. 

cant say i approve, there are threads in another forum about using reclaimed shot with steel shot contaminating it. and scoring barrels.

10 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

the guys in the states did this with just fibre wad and steel shot when there was the first restrictions. 

they did it with guns they didnt mind shredding the barrel. because they can buy spare barrels and spare guns willy-nilly.

they just exchanged lead for steel directly. 

cant say i approve, there are threads in another forum about using reclaimed shot with steel shot contaminating it. and scoring barrels.

I am not so much wanting to run it unprotected, as see if it marks the bore, for if it ever breaks through any card wrappers. It seems the chinese rice tray lid cut wrapps are strong no pin holing i found the other day, and no bore scrubbing i could see when direct to bore.

the copper coating might help here too to some extent , is my thinking. and this is probably the way i will go with this.

Do you think zink or copper coating will help  in terms of when it gets the odd bore contact.

Edited by lancer425

In my more stupid days I remember taking the lead shot out of a cartridge and putting in some ball bearings I had from and old bike wheel, my grandfather was not amused with the series of grooves up the right hand barrel of his BSA s/s but those 'pellets' chewed great junks out of a gate post at 20yrds. talking nearly 70yrs ago and I have grown up a bit since then although my wife would disagree. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

In my more stupid days I remember taking the lead shot out of a cartridge and putting in some ball bearings I had from and old bike wheel, my grandfather was not amused with the series of grooves up the right hand barrel of his BSA s/s but those 'pellets' chewed great junks out of a gate post at 20yrds. talking nearly 70yrs ago and I have grown up a bit since then although my wife would disagree.

Can imagine ball bearings are hard stuff.

I can not get any shot tested like i used to be able to do at British steel. But i imagine copper plated will have similar DPH to pure copper, as its copper for at least 10 to 15 microns thickness AFAICT.  So as long as the cladding survives the internal ballistics and abrassion, i would think it should not do any more damage than Pure copper looking at it like that.