Who is doing what next season.

lancer425

With the call for a voluntary ban on lead shot in live quarry over the next five years.

What are your plans for the immediate future and the next season. ?

1. stop using lead and plaswads from now on in all live quarry shooting.

2. stop using lead now shoot non lead but use plaswads until alternatives are available.

3.  use a mixture of both lead and non lead  until my lead stocks are depleted then all non tox. and stop using plaswads when alternatives become available. 

4. Nothing until it becomes law.

5.  carry on regardless stock up on lead they will take lead from my cold dead hands.

6. something else.

i am going with 3. but not buying any more lead or ammo. concerned about plaswads hope i do not have to buy any more, before suiyable alternatives are available. .

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7) keep using lead (mainly fibre) till the orgs and cartridge manufacturers can get together and sort this mess out. 

Then when the time comes, if, they have sorted out a suitable load/size/wad/case situation like most others probably move onto that. 

Edit, 5 made me chuckle out loud.

Edited by Farmboy91

A lot depends upon where I am shooting as I buy most driven days and am guest on others 

if the game is sold to a dealer that requires none toxic (main reason for ban) then that is what I will shoot!!!

if the land owner requires none plastic ( other reason for ban) I will shoot that 

if both are required on the same shoot I’m stuffed as nothing is available for my game gun (currently working on home loads to solve the problem) 

please remember that it’s a team of guns that shoot and we all need to shoot the same especially if it’s going to a game dealer 

So a cross between 3 and 4 depending on what shooting I’m doing. My preference is lead/fibre as I mainly shoot game and pigeon (unless land/game owner specify anything else). When shooting Duck obviously steel/plastic but I will look to go to steel and biodegradable wad.

11 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

A lot depends upon where I am shooting as I buy most driven days and am guest on others 

if the game is sold to a dealer that requires none toxic (main reason for ban) then that is what I will shoot!!!

if the land owner requires none plastic ( other reason for ban) I will shoot that 

if both are required on the same shoot I’m stuffed as nothing is available for my game gun (currently working on home loads to solve the problem) 

please remember that it’s a team of guns that shoot and we all need to shoot the same especially if it’s going to a game dealer 

Pointless really, some will carry on using cartridges containing lead shot and plastic wads, even after the five years are up.........because it’s voluntary the cartridges are cheap and effective and there are currently little alternatives that don’t have significant disadvantages!.........that is when the government will take it out of our hands, step in and ban them!....and you can bet the antis will be monitoring it......again shooting will have walked into another death by a thousand cuts scenario of further regulation,  if you ignore the ban, what do we reckon the penalty will be? Lose your Certificate?
Now that the genie is out of the lamp lead and plastic wads are on borrowed time!

As for me, I will do as I do now (No 3, but I have for some time, consciously avoided using plastic, where possible) however when the time comes, I will comply with the law! Because if I break it, and I’m caught.........I suspect I will have my certificate taken from me?

It has to be 6 for me. Yes I want to got to non plastic and non toxic but it is not possible.

I can and will have cut out plastic in ten and eight bores for next season with a bit of work over the summer.

In 12 bore I have no chance at present as I cannot use anything other than factory lead and fibre in Damascus barrelled English guns on the few shoots I go on. I cannot cut out plastic in the twelve on the shore as I cannot get a card shot cup. I could try bismuth but it is prohibitively expensive and in my experience not as effective as steel and I don’t want to be wounding

Similar story in the 20 bore over and under would like to use steel but nothing with a card cup wad.

I will use steel on my for my Wildfowling as I always have done.

I will continue to use fiber wad lead for all my other shooting as it's still the best for it's price for the job.

As for all this lead is no good for us no matter how small a quantity.  Government best get rid of every single lead water pipe in this country then. Bout time our orgs started chanting if leads bad, ban the lead pipes.

20 minutes ago, figgy said:

As for all this lead is no good for us no matter how small a quantity.  Government best get rid of every single lead water pipe in this country then. Bout time our orgs started chanting if leads bad, ban the lead pipes.

I live in an old lead mining area.  Due to nature the soil has a high lead content but locals have a reputation for being quite long lived and many used to grow all their own veg, but building regs now in place require the top 500mm of soil removed because it is polluted.

Go figure, it would appear to be a minor problem with high level lead in paint has developed with the snowflakes and their predecessors into a problem with even trace lead.  The situation with lead pipes would have occurred had even the labour party and greens not realised what a massive cost to government and own goal it would have been.

4&1/2.

Sorry to be awkward, but that's the truth of the matter. I will not break the law, but the possibility of 5 cannot be ignored before 4 kicks in. All being well I'm half thinking of renewing the certificates at the end of this year so I have the 5 years left plus one to get shot of everything that needs to go. We did see the odd duck while the farm grew maize which is no more and the only water there is is a pond now surrounded by a solar panel array. Nothing that I shoot goes into the public food supply and I've used fibre since I don't know when. Consequently, I would like to sight the document that Perazzishot has said that BASC sent to the ECHA at the tail end of last year because I simply can't understand the need for a blanket lead ban.

Definitely 5 I'm sick of all the do-gooders today it seems any minority with some poxy cause gets publicity and listen to why should should they have the right to destroy the lively hoods and the persuits of ordinary people also like many others l feel hugely let down by all the shooting organisations and they all did a u turn basc ngo etc they should be ashamed 

20 hours ago, lancer425 said:

With the call for a voluntary ban on lead shot in live quarry over the next five years.

What are your plans for the immediate future and the next season. ?

1. stop using lead and plaswads from now on in all live quarry shooting.

2. stop using lead now shoot non lead but use plaswads until alternatives are available.

3.  use a mixture of both lead and non lead  until my lead stocks are depleted then all non tox. and stop using plaswads when alternatives become available. 

4. Nothing until it becomes law.

5.  carry on regardless stock up on lead they will take lead from my cold dead hands.

6. something else.

i am going with 3. but not buying any more lead or ammo. concerned about plaswads hope i do not have to buy any more, before suiyable alternatives are available. .

Do not break any Laws and shoot as often as you can! That's all I have to say. 😇