Who is doing what next season.

lancer425

21 hours ago, lancer425 said:

With the call for a voluntary ban on lead shot in live quarry over the next five years.

What are your plans for the immediate future and the next season. ?

1. stop using lead and plaswads from now on in all live quarry shooting.

2. stop using lead now shoot non lead but use plaswads until alternatives are available.

3.  use a mixture of both lead and non lead  until my lead stocks are depleted then all non tox. and stop using plaswads when alternatives become available. 

4. Nothing until it becomes law.

5.  carry on regardless stock up on lead they will take lead from my cold dead hands.

6. something else.

i am going with 3. but not buying any more lead or ammo. concerned about plaswads hope i do not have to buy any more, before suiyable alternatives are available. .

I’ll just carry on as normal; namely lead where I can and steel where I cant. All the clay grounds I shoot at ( with one exception ) specify fibre wads only; none of the land I shoot over specifies no plaswads, which I sometimes shoot on syndicate days. None of this will stop me shooting in any way. 
One of the clay grounds on which I shoot has fishing ponds, on which live considerable quantities of waterfowl.....go figure. 🙂

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, simonm said:

Because it’s fixed 1/4 and 3/4 so Miroku say don’t use steel and I don’t want to invalidate my warranty on a fairly expensive gun 

Where did you get that info from have you an age a serial number number.

On the old Jap browning A5s they moved production to japan mainly for the BC miroku barrel making plant, they felt the herstal made barrels at that time not suited for steel but BC miroku ones were fine. I would look into that.

53 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Where did you get that info from have you an age a serial number number.

On the old Jap browning A5s they moved production to japan mainly for the BC miroku barrel making plant, they felt the herstal made barrels at that time not suited for steel but BC miroku ones were fine. I would look into that.

From Miroku, it’s only 3 months old.

New fixed choke models from Browning and Miroku (eg Browning Crown, Miroku MK60) come with a sticker on saying not suitable for steel shot. 

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

Plas wads are already banned on my land so number 3 is the way to go. As we start to move over to more sustainable options, hopefully the choice will increase and prices will be more competetive. 

There needs to be a more affordable good quality wadding worked out for sure, as it is about 14p a wad its £3.50 a box before anything else. And you are not done with the card cups at that nitro card and at least an op card or preferably a card seal. its £40 a flat more expensive and hassle.

Makes much more expensive bore friendly shot options look ever more practical. Copper is no way as cheap as steel but when you start looking at all this it looks to make more sense. Bismuth is a bit more and needs treating with love and affection to get it working. Cheapest i could make a fast 1 3/8 oz load of 4mm roto metals bismuth was around £3oo a flat.

Its wads. Not looking good to me i done the sums today. Life will be changing when they ban lead in a few years, unless they come up with something.

7 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

There needs to be a more affordable good quality wadding worked out for sure, as it is about 14p a wad its £3.50 a box before anything else. And you are not done with the card cups at that nitro card and at least an op card or preferably a card seal. its £40 a flat more expensive and hassle.

Makes much more expensive bore friendly shot options look ever more practical. Copper is no way as cheap as steel but when you start looking at all this it looks to make more sense. Bismuth is a bit more and needs treating with love and affection to get it working. Cheapest i could make a fast 1 3/8 oz load of 4mm roto metals bismuth was around £3oo a flat.

Its wads. Not looking good to me i done the sums today. Life will be changing when they ban lead in a few years, unless they come up with something.

copper is toxic

Option 4 as all my clay grounds are non plastic and also so are all the shoots. Really need some affordable eco friendly wads on steel.

After going to one of the plastic wad allowed clay grounds yesterday I really do not want to use plastics wads if I can avoid it its amazing when you look at it on that scale what a mess they make.

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

Its non lead meets our legislation .

It does, but it’s a bit of a grey area when it comes to entering the food chain. Most common CF ammo is copper coated, and the only reason it hasn’t been suggested it is banned ( or phased out ) is because it is a bit of a grey area, namely a bit more difficult to sort out, according to my NGO rep’. He stated the same advice as was advised last time we went down this road, namely that all wound channels should be removed to remove lead trace elements. For some reason this advice doesn’t apply to birds shot with copper coated lead. It’s still lead, and therefore toxic. We really couldn’t make this up. 🙂

Edited by Scully
Missing word!

I would like to be using ITX and fibre cup in the 12g and bismuth and fibre in the 20g for fowling,  lead inland.. On the other hand i might just fire off some steel  through the guns and stop worrying about it all, Sure the aren't  worth much and its more important to use them now than leave them to be auctioned off when i cark it.

50 minutes ago, Scully said:

It does, but it’s a bit of a grey area when it comes to entering the food chain. Most common CF ammo is copper coated, and the only reason it hasn’t been suggested it is banned ( or phased out ) is because it is a bit of a grey area, namely a bit more difficult to sort out, according to my NGO rep’. He stated the same advice as was advised last time we went down this road, namely that all wound channels should be removed to remove lead trace elements. For some reason this advice doesn’t apply to birds shot with copper coated lead. It’s still lead, and therefore toxic. We really couldn’t make this up. 🙂

I know but what do you do.

Its like this they make the rules up we obey them. Its that simple, we can not be expected to responsibly act out of our own research or or out of even common sense. We just do as we are told fit between the grass verges and keep on Driving?///////////Shooting. If we acted on what we knew we would have just left well alone. 20 years ago. this is not about the facts never has been. Its about LEAD it is a four letter word i have joked about this many times, but it true its toxic and they want it gone.

My youngest lad 13 just came out with a good un, Lead in water pipes copper in water pipes toxic both of them. Next we switch to plastic but we want to ban plastic. Getting stupid all this.

28 minutes ago, Papercase said:

3. Quite happy at that - only got 250 lead then will probably try and get some more eley 32g 5's fibre and run those through my non steel shot proofed gun and mammoths for in the pump till I can get fibre version with 42g in

That is about all we can realistically do or be expected to do at this stage.

The fibre wads might be what we end up using, but not sure, its early day, just wait it could even be before the season when we see some changes in available ammo and components. .

4 hours ago, lancer425 said:

That is about all we can realistically do or be expected to do at this stage.

The fibre wads might be what we end up using, but not sure, its early day, just wait it could even be before the season when we see some changes in available ammo and components. .

Have a look at Rio Eco Blue Steel cartridges. Don't us in the UK will get them though

On 02/03/2020 at 20:40, 6.5x55SE said:

Have a look at Rio Eco Blue Steel cartridges. Don't us in the UK will get them though

Rang Just cartridges they did not know of this ammo. No real suprise here we can only hope better trade deals with the states improve our options and who knows we might get to shead CIP for SAMI. Not that us reloaders are concerned with this it might get some bit better commercial options out there though.

On 02/03/2020 at 21:44, Smokersmith said:

We may already have them!

Maxam own both Rio and ELEY .... I’ll bet there’s not much between the blue steel and the Eco Eley product.

Saga is Rio/ maxam too AFAIK . They might do something in time.

The jocker steel card wad ammo on the other thread?  Anybody know who stocks jocker? the claygrond i got my LAs from three years ago said they did no steel.   Any ideas who would be a good supplier to try and get some through?

just cartridges said they got jcker once a year, but had no steel.