A good plan poorly executed.

JDog

My wife and I have been camping out in one of our rental houses in S****horpe this week and painting and decorating after a Tenant left. Whereas my wife loves it and could do it for days on end my boredom threshold is low and I needed a day off. Jacko was my chosen victim for an afternoon out.

I showed him two alternative fields and left the decision up to him as to which field we shot. He chose plan A and we came away from that field after an hour with nothing in the bag.

The plan B field needed a plan C. This small village is ‘pigeon city’ but the blighters always chose to use fields near to houses and horse paddocks. I am super sensitive about not upsetting villagers and I never shoot those fields. Needless to say there were good lines in. If those pigeons are disturbed they go to the plan B field. As I was a passenger in Jacko’s car I reasoned that no one would see me placing a rope banger in an appropriate place (plan C) to keep them off their favoured fields so that is what happened and we retreated to the plan B field to await the influx of pigeons.

They never did come in any numbers and I felt sure that the banger had been sabotaged. We did shoot ten pigeons though which was fun.

Curiosity got the better of me and when we packed up we went to investigate the banger. Even though the green touch paper had sparked and sizzled the blooming thing never caught on and as I took it down from the tree intact we were amazed at the sight of four hundred pigeons flitting above our heads having lifted from the adjacent field.

We should have had more but my shooting was not up to par other than my first kill which was a forty yard plus this as happened to me in the past where I hit a stunner first then miss the easy ones ... on review of the shotkam(which I’m not posting ) I am mostly high which I can only put down to rushing my mount  and eating sandwiches ... hit or miss good or bad I do enjoy days out with jdog  and we always seem to see some kind of  bird of prey this time was a long eared owl  and then a barn owl coming up the hedge line where the hides where..also met barney today what a beautiful dog thats learning his trade well

17 minutes ago, aga man said:

Frustrating when it dosent quite go to plan but hey you both got out and got some frrsh air.

All good experience for Jacko👍

I now know to stay with the rope banger and make sure it’s took hold and I think this is the second time out that option B as been the better option😂😜

Well done for getting out, we managed twenty yesterday setting up on one field and walking round two others of rape. This year has been a disaster so far not finding birds in any numbers and spooked so any disturbance and they are off.

Great to read your report, did you enjoy the day or would you rather be painting your pension??

On 01/03/2020 at 18:04, JDog said:

My wife and I have been camping out in one of our rental houses in S****horpe this week and painting and decorating after a Tenant left. Whereas my wife loves it and could do it for days on end my boredom threshold is low and I needed a day off. Jacko was my chosen victim for an afternoon out.

I showed him two alternative fields and left the decision up to him as to which field we shot. He chose plan A and we came away from that field after an hour with nothing in the bag.

The plan B field needed a plan C. This small village is ‘pigeon city’ but the blighters always chose to use fields near to houses and horse paddocks. I am super sensitive about not upsetting villagers and I never shoot those fields. Needless to say there were good lines in. If those pigeons are disturbed they go to the plan B field. As I was a passenger in Jacko’s car I reasoned that no one would see me placing a rope banger in an appropriate place (plan C) to keep them off their favoured fields so that is what happened and we retreated to the plan B field to await the influx of pigeons.

They never did come in any numbers and I felt sure that the banger had been sabotaged. We did shoot ten pigeons though which was fun.

Curiosity got the better of me and when we packed up we went to investigate the banger. Even though the green touch paper had sparked and sizzled the blooming thing never caught on and as I took it down from the tree intact we were amazed at the sight of four hundred pigeons flitting above our heads having lifted from the adjacent field.

Sounded more like a military operation with all the plans Mr JDog , pity they didn't live up to expectations , still , you have been through it in the past and you will no doubt go through it again , this then make the days more enjoyable when the plans go according to the initial plans .:hmm: