Make your mind up

peck

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely if they had talked her out of it she would have challenged them for not accepting her wishes.

Funnily enough I heard an interview recently with a doctor who was involved in gender reassignment on young people. During the interview he claimed that he was under intense pressure to give the go ahead, as if he or any of his colleagues showed any reluctance they/clinic were immediately accused by the patient/parents of being transphobic.

Hopefully this will be one of those times when the law is written to help protect people from themselves. It's just plain obvious children are not able to make the kind of life altering changes such surgery creates. Slap an age limit on it, allow the NHS, its doctors and support staff to have legal protection and also give parents the backup they might need if they think/know their child is going down an alley they don't yet fully comprehend. 

If they want to change at 14, they should be prepared to wait until 18. If they're not prepared to wait, then they're demonstrating an immaturity that proves the need for a law.

Edited by chrisjpainter

I do find it rather bizarre that the She/He is blaming the NHS for not talking her out of undergoing the change.

Surely if they had talked her out of it she would have challenged them for not accepting her wishes.

Exactlyas above, plus the court costs and legal fees would have been astonomical.

There are people out there that are genuinely "born into the wrong body" but lately it has become a whole fashion thing that is being encouraged by social workers teachers etc. Poor kids are very confused and not getting the correct guidance from their peers or society.

They are lead to think they can choose their gender.

It's quite cut and dry. You're either male or female. Occasionally genetic disorders like kleinfelters make a bit of a hash of things and you may actually be female even though you may look male or visa versa. Anything else is a mental disorder. 

Edited by Benthejockey

25 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

It's quite cut and dry. You're either male or female. Occasionally genetic disorders like kleinfelters make a bit of a hash of things and you may actually be female even though you may look male or visa versa. Anything else is a mental disorder. 

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head Ben 👍.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It will probably get a massive pay out because the clinic carried out his/her wishes. The next one will be a claim for the clinic not carrying out his/her wishes.

I won't even get started in whether it should be allowed in the first place!

Edd

18 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

In this case the NHS can't win. Tallk them out of it and get blamed for being fobic.. let them do it and get taken to. Court because they've decided actually they are a female.. 

3rd option, allow multiple changes at public expense.

I do not wish to appear in anyway transphobic and I have seen no data to back up my assertion, however I would suspect a reasonable correlation between those under going surgery for gender reassignment at young age and having wider mental health issues. I couldn’t stipulate which way or if indeed there is any cause and effect, but it must be very difficult for all those involved. The health professionals and parents. 

13 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I do find it rather bizarre that the She/He is blaming the NHS for not talking her out of undergoing the change.

All very strange!

There has been a lot of issues with the Taverstock recently, a number of staff whistle blew saying that there are several pro transgender staff there, who bullied other staff into pushing for treatment under the guise of “its their rights” ... and saying that anyone who raised concerns or saying it was unethical was labelled transphobic. 

They have a massive staff turnover as the staff who were raised concerns have left over and over. 

It’s not really an issue of someone who can’t make up their mind, it’s an issue of very vulnerable and impressionable young adults, who are often experiencing very traumatic times, being told by certain staff if they change their gender then everything will be great and all their problems will be better, only for them to take life changing medications or surgeries, and then to find out they still have problems... and now even worse. 

If some of those staff have abused their roles to such a massive extent then they should be locked up IMO. 

12 hours ago, 39TDS said:

There are people out there that are genuinely "born into the wrong body" but lately it has become a whole fashion thing that is being encouraged by social workers teachers etc. Poor kids are very confused and not getting the correct guidance from their peers or society.

They are lead to think they can choose their gender.

I’m a social worker and many family are teachers. I can’t think of anyone in either profession who’s going around telling and encouraging people to change their gender. 

Do you mean if someone says they’re transgender we don't verbally abuse them? That’s called being a decent person. 

No one is going around encouraging people to change their gender (except it the staff from Taverstock, it appears). 

Don’t talk nonsense.