Recommended me a dog insurance....

mad1

PetPlan have always been great with us.

We have had one 6K claim and several at circa 1K and none have ever been a problem

The 6K one was in February and our policy expired end of February and they even rang to say that any treatment from 1st March was a new claim so we could claim the full annual allowance again if we needed

On 02/03/2020 at 19:57, billytheghillie said:

I put £10 a week by for my dog. If he needs the vet the cash is there, if not new gun time.

Yep this every time you just need to be firm on leaving the money in that account that is the important thing. , you could get caught out i suppose, but in 50 years of doing this i have always ended up with a pile of money, in an account i started with £2 a weel in the early 80s sometime in the 90s i upped it to £5 and just left it there every week it got up to about £9000, i pulled some out about 4 years ago, its hovering around 7000 at the moment.   Inssurance might work if you have a big issue, but i have three or 4 dogs on the go most of the time, and i have never had to go to the household bank for any problems, i fact i hardly touched the Dog fund, at all, i had a lab rip his self wide open on a barbed wire fence that cost abut £200 in the early 2000s. but other than that just £50 /£100 here and there, it works for us. You keep your money too.  .

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

Yep this every time you just need to be firm on leaving the money in that account that is the important thing. , you could get caught out i suppose, but in 50 years of doing this i have always ended up with a pile of money, in an account i started with £2 a weel in the early 80s sometime in the 90s i upped it to £5 and just left it there every week it got up to about £9000, i pulled some out about 4 years ago, its hovering around 7000 at the moment.   Inssurance might work if you have a big issue, but i have three or 4 dogs on the go most of the time, and i have never had to go to the household bank for any problems, i fact i hardly touched the Dog fund, at all, i had a lab rip his self wide open on a barbed wire fence that cost abut £200 in the early 2000s. but other than that just £50 /£100 here and there, it works for us. You keep your money too.  .

good idea providing nothing major happens to the dog at an early age and the funds aren't there to cover it , beater I know sprocker got run over 7k for ops etc ,admire your will power on saving it every month though

31 minutes ago, sam triple said:

good idea providing nothing major happens to the dog at an early age and the funds aren't there to cover it , beater I know sprocker got run over 7k for ops etc ,admire your will power on saving it every month though

That is the only problem, but its surprising how time goes by, .Think about it though, once you got it there its just THERE, cream off it now and again. its all really about self control, you just have to forget about it in that account thats all. . .

Do PetPlan insure specifically for working dogs?

Before taking out a policy, read the documents very carefully - most "pet" policies exclude any "working" activities.

Agria offer the same if not better than PetPlan, and cheaper too I found.  I have had to use it for a springer with elbow dysplasia on his right side and an intra-condylar fissure the left elbow, cost them circa £5k and they paid out without any fuss.

"Bought by many" quote for liability only - £14.50/month - that's £174/year!!! Country Cover Club includes liability for around £30/year. On top of the BBM want £50/month to insure him - £600/year. He has existing problems with his heart - my vet charges £63/month for his meds, I buy them from Animed for £18 so it's not hard to see why insurance costs are so high. Listening to an article on the Radio a short while back re Pet Insurance and current practice with some Insurance companies appears to be that you are only covered at certain veterinary practices - if your Dog was injured and you took him to the nearest Vet you may find you are not covered - to make matters worse the Insurance companies involved do not publish a list of who you can/cannot use.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an account we keep about 10k back in to cover vet fees for horse/dog/cats. Insuring all separately was going to work out over fifteen hundred  pounds a year so the loss of interest on the money is minor compared to the cost of cover. We do use dogs trust and the British horse lot for third party cover. 

• 4 weeks later...

Pet Plan here for both our terriers. Only this week the Patt went tearing round the garden, as they do, and next thing I know she hops up on the sofa with a very rusty 4" nail sticking out her side! Not a whimper just looked at me. 

Straight down the vets, immediate x-ray and cut it out, clean up etc. 

Paid my excess and they sort the rest out. 

Dog was lucky it went in and out just under the skin. She's thankfully doing good. 

Anyway, Pet Plan.