20 bore. Poor ejection.

Robertt

A mate of mine gave me his 20 bore AYA No 4 to have a look at as it's not ejecting properly. 

The springs are really strong and sends brass snaps caps right across the living room.

Tried it yesterday and the right barrel is lobbing empties about 3 feet, which is poor considering the power of the springs but at least they're clearing the chamber.

The left barrel is not ejecting with the case coming out about 3/4's of it's length.

Prior to testing I gave the chamber a jolly good cleaning .

Used 6 different brands of cartridges with the above result.

Any ideas ???

This might be one for a gunsmith.  Have you taken the extractors out to make sure they are clean where they enter under the barrel? If all is clean the problem will lie in the ejector mechanism itself in the forend but I wouldn't go rummaging around in there, that's for a gunsmith in my opinion

Edited by Rob85
Spelling and adding text

undo the locating pin and take the ejectors out....lay very fine wet and dry on a flat surface and clean flats up.....scrub the ejector barrel out with a small wooden dowel with wire wool....wash out.....very lightly oil and slide ejectors back in....check they slide out together and independently....assemble    and try ...

It may be the timing. An AYA uses Southgate ejectors which happily for you, are the easiest to remedy and the easiest to regulate. So here is a gunsmith's trick to check. Load the gun with two snap caps...do not use once fired cases...or two unfired primed cases from which the shot, wads and powder has been removed.

Fire the gun. Now the "trick". Operate the top lever as if opening the gun normally then without further lowering the barrels hold these in your left had. Now using your right had tap, gently, the heel of the buttstock. The aim is to gradually and by degree start to open the  gun. Small taps and slowly.

You are listening for the "click" as the mechanism sets itself to eject. There should be one click not two. You carry on with the tapping and if correctly regulated the gun should as the gape widens further then eject both cases together. By doing this slowly you'll see also if the cartridge is hitting the breech.

To regulate a Southgate ejector you move the "edge" or peak on the ejector spring on the spring either forward or backwards. Towards or away from its tip. Forwards to eject earlier is away from the end of the spring leg so towards the "knee" of the spring, Backwards to eject later is towards the end of the spring leg so away from the "knee" of the spring.

If the timing is OK then it is a weak spring usually.

Or...you've a swollen chamber which is why snap caps are ejecting and cases fired in that chamber are not.

Or you'e a worn ejector. Which is usually the one on the right barrel. Or more correctly the barrel that he/she fires most often. 

But....this....using cases fired in someone else's gun is not a fair test. Try marking the cartridges L and R before firing them. When you've fired them swap them over and try again. 

Then after making sure that the problem actually isn't your strikers hooking as it were into the primer of the fired cartridges look at this below.

1) Does the "easy ejecting" cartridge spent case work OK in BOTH barrels?.

If the "easy ejecting" case still doesn't eject cleanly in the bad barrel then  the problem is with the ejectors themselves not the springs.

2) Does the "poor ejecting" case also eject poorly or is not so easy to insert into the barrel that works fine?

If the above is the case then there may be an issue with the actual chamber rather than the ejectors or springs.

Last it is an AYA so both springs and ejectors should be available from ASI and although they will need to be fitted and regulated at least you aren't having to have either bespoke made. That's lucky as to bespoke make a pair of ejectors from scratch is around £350 for the pair!

9 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Another thing to check is that the extractor is not worn down and riding over the rim of the cartridge

It is usually this I'd say. Is it the right barrel and did/does the gun get used a lot for Skeet? Or is the owner a good shot who kills his birds with the one shot and rarely needs a second shot? If so it is as ROB85 says...the ejector itself is worn.

Edited by enfieldspares

Have you shot it or are you just trying  with fired cases .? 

Cleaning will have little effect unless they are so gummed up/rusted they hardly work at all , but is seems to be the go to cure all advice on PW 🙂.

Enfield spares covers most of the points I would have made and long experience has taught me that ejector problems can be a bit of a headache . 

There can be many factors including the tightness of the action , forend , how fast you open the gun, timing , worn extractors /chambers and the simple fact some guns for some unknown reason just dont like some cases .

One thing I will say is that you can NOT check or regulate ejectors of any kind with snap caps . Things that in my opinion should be banned . Fired cases if fired from the gun you have or caped  cases . 

9 hours ago, Robertt said:

Will give a try ditchman.

What I can't fathom out is the fact that the mechanism is really powerful with feeble result.

the reason i am replying to this post .......is i had the same thing happen to the number 2 aya i bought ...it was 2nd hand.......and started to give me problems...the ejectors were very powerful it was the reason i bought it because when i used to game shoot near newmarket the guns could only use paper cased cartridges as we shot over a lot of grassland that was used as hay for feed for the studs and paper cased ammo would disolve.....quickly...so we used that ammo ...and if the ammo is a bit damp it will swell so you need good ejectors to throw em out..........

i found out that my aya had always been lubricated with either wd 40 or linseed oil ...as it built up and went hard on alll the surfaces and stated to stick...so all the metal work came off and went into oven cleaner as it was the only stuff that could dissolve this muck........after that it was 100% fine......

i havnt the skill or knowledge to dissasemble the rest of the gun...but i am able to do maintenace..........so if that dosnt work   do as other folk say...send it to a decent gunSMITH..

wd 40 on guns is a no no.........

Then after making sure that the problem actually isn't your strikers hooking as it were into the primer of the fired cartridges look at this below.

Why? This will have the effect of "pulling" the fired case off the ejector so that when the ejector does trip the case is not getting in full contact with the rim of the case. Getting instead a less efficient kick.

Also a worn ejector leg can have the same effect of displacing the cartridge that is in the neighbour barrel. And how (other than use) do ejector legs in a side-by-side become, in effect, worn? By too much stripping them in and out and improper, inappropriate, cleaning methods.

That's why as GUNMAN says fired (in your gun) or capped cases are best. For you won't see that issue with snap caps because of their weight and that they don't succumb to being hooked, as it were, by a problematic striker/firing pin

Edited by enfieldspares