Dead Bird Magnet Cradle

Trenta

Hi Guys, 

I am looking for a set of cradles for dead birds that will fit to my pigeon magnet.  I have the cradles that came with the magnet, which are basically a V shape - which holds our the wings, however I am looking for a cradle that has a spike in the middle to keep the bird's head up.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Trent

33 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

The arms on the magnet should be pushed up the birds jacksy through it’s body up in to its skull it doesn’t just sit on it

Thanks for the response.  Now that you explain it like that - the setup makes much more sense.  I take it you put the wing spreaders on then position the bird on the magnet arm as you suggest, then bring the wing spreader back up to get the right final position of the birds - right?

I guess it is easy when you know how... 🤪

You got it 👍

3 minutes ago, Trenta said:

Thanks for the response.  Now that you explain it like that - the setup makes much more sense.  I take it you put the wing spreaders on then position the bird on the magnet arm as you suggest, then bring the wing spreader back up to get the right final position of the birds - right?

I guess it is easy when you know how... 🤪

1 hour ago, Jacko3275 said:

The arms on the magnet should be pushed up the birds jacksy through it’s body up in to its skull it doesn’t just sit on it

As stated above

• insert middle prong up the afore mentioned pigeon so the spike enters the skull and holds the head up.
  • Widen the side prongs if necessary and stab them through the underside of the wings around the middle joint
  • it becomes obvious with practise

Capture.JPG.2a56e22782b2a6634953977ee61628a5.JPG

Edited by martinj

21 minutes ago, old'un said:

should look like this when assembled

cradle.jpg

have a look at the video

On the centre bar I ran a file around the end to form a point to make life easier in pushing a pigeon on from the rear end , also I dont know why the small metal tube that hold the thumb screw on the spreader is far bigger than required , and on mine the thread on the thumb screw could have been a bit longer , tell yer , us pigeon shooters take some pleasing :lol:

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

On the centre bar I ran a file around the end to form a point to make life easier in pushing a pigeon on from the rear end , also I dont know why the small metal tube that hold the thumb screw on the spreader is far bigger than required , and on mine the thread on the thumb screw could have been a bit longer , tell yer , us pigeon shooters take some pleasing 

Good thinking there MM with the file. Mind if I copy your idea and do the same ? Always a bit of a problem especially if not fully thawed out. 

OB

3 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Good thinking there MM with the file. Mind if I copy your idea and do the same ? Always a bit of a problem especially if not fully thawed out. 

OB

Put a cork over the ends when transporting it around, otherwise you'll find the point is in exactly the wrong place. 

17 hours ago, martinj said:

As stated above

• insert middle prong up the afore mentioned pigeon so the spike enters the skull and holds the head up.
  • Widen the side prongs if necessary and stab them through the underside of the wings around the middle joint
  • it becomes obvious with practise

Capture.JPG.2a56e22782b2a6634953977ee61628a5.JPG

hello, this is how all mine look with a middle rod, i do not use often, i thought all cradles all came with this middle rod, just buy some 2 mm steel rod and cut and bend to the shape in this post with a dull point, if  you can get some realy strong steel coat hangers cutting the hook off should make 2 rods, maybe A1 decoys have spare rods  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

This thread reminds me of the time I took out Lloydi and OJW. They both had new pieces of mechanical kit and I left them setting up whilst I went away for a few minutes to look at a separate flight line.

When I returned I was amazed to see a bird heading down to the ground mounted on the flapper and two pigeons upside down and flying backwards mounted on the rotary.

On 04/03/2020 at 08:49, JDog said:

When I returned I was amazed to see a bird heading down to the ground mounted on the flapper and two pigeons upside down and flying backwards mounted on the rotary.

That's the best laugh I've had all week!  Thanks for that 🙂