Due to the usual reasons (all fairly innocuous! old age, changes of jobs etc) we have 3 vacancies this year on our small, DIY shoot twixt Beverley and Driffield in EAST Yorkshire. You'll find my adverts this time most years in the past! 

This is an established mixed bird (mainly pheasant, but partridge and wildfowl also) syndicate at a point where much of the work has been done.  We have just started shooting on a new farm (we've moved off one farm due to a new owner, but found another bit of similar land - with significantly less mud!) and do have some setting up to do - but we have the kit - and a plan! 

We aim for 50+ bird days. We shoot 10 Saturdays as organised days, but membership allows 365 day / year vermin / boundary shooting.

Location - think 'Driffield'. YO25...

Viewing essential, (you can then see us, and we can see you! - I've had a couple of applicants over the years incapable of walking across a bridge over a dyke...) and, as usual  we would probably prefer to recruit guns with a dog, and 'probably / ideally' recruit from the East Yorkshire area (we have had applicants from Slough (of all places!) last year - an ex member failing to find shooting nearer!)  - we've even got a regular gun travelling all the way from  Boston (USA  - rather than Lincs!)

Price... well, start a conversation and we can discuss (although a search on this  forum may reveal the price if I've mentioned it in previous adverts!)

Sounds good, just wish I was 40yrs younger.  Comment on bridge crossing ....it ain't rocket science to put a decent bridge in for little money with a hand rail as well.

I have seen bridges made of two telegraph poles laid side by side across a 12ft gap with a five foot drop into 4ft or more of water, no hand rail and no wire mesh and this was on biggish driven days.  There is no excuse for bad bridging.

Well, to stand up for my civil engineering ability... the particular bridge was indeed two telegraph poles, bolted together, with two scaffold planks on top, with cross boards and chicken wire to provide a wide non slip surface - and yes - it had a hand rail...  it was however a full telegraph pole long, and about 8ft above the stream level below - and I had a potential new gun who got vertigo and couldn't possibly cross the bridge - I think we had more than 20 bridges (mostly slightly smaller) over the ditches on that farm, half a dozen were longer than a single scaffold board! This was the farm where we have just moved from..   

45 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Sounds good, just wish I was 40yrs younger.  Comment on bridge crossing ....it ain't rocket science to put a decent bridge in for little money with a hand rail as well.

I have seen bridges made of two telegraph poles laid side by side across a 12ft gap with a five foot drop into 4ft or more of water, no hand rail and no wire mesh and this was on biggish driven days.  There is no excuse for bad bridging.

On one shoot I go on there is a small river running through the middle of some of the drives , a few years ago we had a working party come out one Sunday morning to put a few bridges across the river ,  most of the members of the shoot had connections in the building trade , someone provided six telegraph poles , another borrowed some scaffold poles and clips and I brought a load of two foot Oak off cut boards , well they were off cuts after we sawed up the boards that had a few cracks in .

We pulled two telegraph poles across the river , laid them side by side , then nailed the off cuts on the top of the poles ,this would have been ideal by itself , but then to make it safer for the elderly gentlemen ( like myself )  we put some short scaffold poles in beside the bridge and then clipped a 21ft long pole to form a hand rail.

This have been a godsend and need very little maintenance , good job done .

56 minutes ago, marsh man said:

On one shoot I go on there is a small river running through the middle of some of the drives , a few years ago we had a working party come out one Sunday morning to put a few bridges across the river ,  most of the members of the shoot had connections in the building trade , someone provided six telegraph poles , another borrowed some scaffold poles and clips and I brought a load of two foot Oak off cut boards , well they were off cuts after we sawed up the boards that had a few cracks in .

We pulled two telegraph poles across the river , laid them side by side , then nailed the off cuts on the top of the poles ,this would have been ideal by itself , but then to make it safer for the elderly gentlemen ( like myself )  we put some short scaffold poles in beside the bridge and then clipped a 21ft long pole to form a hand rail.

This have been a godsend and need very little maintenance , good job done .

Yep, just takes a little effort.  Even a simple single railway sleeper with a hand rail and wire netting to stop slipping is enough, doesn't have to be fancy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...