Stolen trophy help pls

mgsontour

He picks stuff up, you respond some way, he gets the attention he's expecting, and so does it more. 

Ignore it dont respond, its then no longer a game.

Its basically boring so it should stop. You would have done the same when you were a toddler. 

Young dog, it’s mine so why let you have it. Ignore him.

he needs to want to come to you. In general I start very early by getting my dogs to come to me and put their nose in my palm. That is the start of a good delivery. Whenever they do it they get a reward, fuss treat whatever is necessary. So when my hand goes down and I call they are straight in. Just try this and forget retrieving for now. 

at this age you don’t want to force retrieve you can give something to carry when walking at heel on the lead, take it and give praise before giving it back. That way they trust you and are happy to have things taken off them. It is also the start of the hold command that I start at ten months or so with my labs.

You will sort it but you mustn’t get worked up as the dog senses it and plays up.

Good luck.

Have you trained retrieves yet? 

My dog won’t stop bloody bringing me things. I have always left him have toys in the house but not taken them off him.

Dummies and balls are mine but toys I don’t bother, when we’re out training he is a brill retriever, but in the house he brings people his toys, but if they go to take them he walks off 🤣🤣

I just laugh and ignore it. If I was to tell him fetch it and then dead he would bring it to me and let go just cos he’s got that nailed in normal training. 

11 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Thanks chaps for your suggestions/advice but it's been a while since I trained a pup, it's funny at times but wow can wind me up at others. Cheers

Stay calm most important aspect, I have lost my cool before. But as much as they are getting to you try to remember it is the training or trainer not the dog! 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Have you trained retrieves yet? 

My dog won’t stop bloody bringing me things.

Wait until they are so eager to retrieve that they bring you anything you may want for praise. Things that I have inadvertently had presented to my hand by puppies on walks: 

- putrid rotten dog fish

- maggot ridden seagull

- human (a stranger’s) faeces 

I am very glad I wear gloves! 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Stay calm most important aspect, I have lost my cool before. But as much as they are getting to you try to remember it is the training or trainer not the dog! 

Wait until they are so eager to retrieve that they bring you anything you may want for praise. Things that I have inadvertently had presented to my hand by puppies on walks: 

- putrid rotten dog fish

- maggot ridden seagull

- human (a stranger’s) faeces 

I am very glad I wear gloves! 

Took him for a walk with the Mrs the other day, he appeared with a headless pigeon out of a bush. He must of been had by an old the night before. 

She wasn’t impressed. 

Retrievers will retrieve stuff I suppose. What I do with mine is have something for exchange. So she comes to me with whatever, give it to my hand, get praised, and get something else, like a wine bottle stopper or whatever other toy is at hand. Add some "value" to to exchange token for best effect.

That way it trains the delivery to hand, and she is never hoardy or possessive with stuff. Sometime he she nicks something of my wife, I take it, give it back to her and tell her to give it back to my wife, and off she goes trotting along to do that.

So yeah she gets a bit of attention, but on the other hand she never 'stole' anything to maul it 

41 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

I haven't started any retrieving yet, he has been on one this week; prior to this week he has recalled no problem when no distractions and when 'things going on' he recalls under protest but this week has been a nightmare!

Known as "Teenage".  i believe most go through it to some extent:whistling:😂

5 hours ago, buze said:

Retrievers will retrieve stuff I suppose. What I do with mine is have something for exchange. So she comes to me with whatever, give it to my hand, get praised, and get something else, like a wine bottle stopper or whatever other toy is at hand. Add some "value" to to exchange token for best effect.

That way it trains the delivery to hand, and she is never hoardy or possessive with stuff. Sometime he she nicks something of my wife, I take it, give it back to her and tell her to give it back to my wife, and off she goes trotting along to do that.

So yeah she gets a bit of attention, but on the other hand she never 'stole' anything to maul it 

Very good advice