Same venue, different company

Old Boggy

I didn't bother reporting on Stour-boy's and my last trip out as it was most similar to my last set of ramblings, albeit that the bag was somewhat diminished from the previous one and therefore would be most repetitive.

This time out we had an addition in the form of PW member Wooder. Now Wooder came to my rescue last year when he heard of the complete lack of sloes in my area and so very kindly gave me several pounds of wonderfully large sloes which have been wallowing in gin for several months, yet to be sampled. :thanks: It was therefore the least I could do to try to give him a few shots at pigeons decoyed over our usual rape field, especially as I had heard this morning that he'd had the rear lights of his Discovery stolen overnight by some low life scrote. Perhaps a few hours out would help him forget this recent misfortune.

As we all know, pigeons can be unpredictable at the best of times, so I was therefore apprehensive but sincerely hoping that the pigeons co-operated a little on this occasion. To give my guest a few shots was all I required. The size of the bag was immaterial to me but nevertheless I was ever hopeful of Wooder getting a few.

We had agreed that my normal shooting companion, Stour-boy would position himself in a small wood some 305 yards (confirmed by Google Earth) West of our hide position, as we knew that any pigeons overflying our rape field would head towards this wood. That was the plan anyway. Wooder and myself sharing a hide partially sheltered overhead by ivy, but with a fairly solid ivy clad bush behind us.

Stour-boy was already in position and had opened his batting before we had set up, so it all looked reasonably promising. Due to the light Westerly wind, the rotary was set slightly upwind and in tall rape with a few flocked shell decoys on a 'mullered' section of rape fairly close in. It very nearly didn't happen as when I went to set up the rotary, I put the battery down, put two dead birds on the rotary, but due to the height of the rape, couldn't then find where I'd put the damn battery :mad:. Next time out I'll remember to connect it up first, put the birds on and then switch it on. Every day is a learning day.

Due to us both being lefthanded shooters and Wooder using a semi-auto (ejecting to the left) I suggested he sat on the left of the hide and me on the right. I had also explained that any birds coming in would come in left to right, the Westerly wind being right to left, so he would get the first shots and hopefully the best of the shooting. This worked fairly well and I was pleased that he was at least getting some shooting. What he didn't spot initially that my half of the hide had the overhanging ivy. This he soon realised when we had a shower of rain and he got wet and I remained perfectly dry.There's absolutely no point in getting old if this doesn't include getting crafty :yahoo:.

I think it's fair to say that neither of us shot particularly well but Wooder did pull off a couple of cracking long shots that was good to watch and shots that I wouldn't have had the confidence or ability to take on. I tend to take on only relatively easy shots and even those I struggled with today.

Normally, when Stour-boy and I shoot together, nattering is part of our day and as a consequence, many opportunities of a shot are probably missed. This doesn't worry us one jot. However, I found it hard to break this habit and continued to waffle on and not concentrate fully on the job in hand. Several times I had to request that Wooder tell me to shut up when I was in full verbal flow and he had spotted pigeons coming in. I felt that many times he was far too polite to do this. At least we were getting some shooting but still had plenty of quiet spells for the coffee flasks to come out.

I was treated this week to a large tasty farm shop pork pie courtesy of Wooder, half with mustard half without. This was in stark contrast to the very ordinary Aldi mini pork pies which are my normal contribution on such occasions. I did have some with me but felt too embarrassed to even get them out of my bag. My only offering therefore was a hot cross bun each.

Whilst we attempted to mark most of the birds shot, it became obvious that due to the height of the rape where most fell, picking up was going to be pretty difficult, so the services of Stour-boy and Decker his lab were sought to help with, or as it turned out, do all the picking up. We may well have left a couple unpicked but without Decker would have picked only a fraction of the those shot. 

Not a great bag but well into double figures and plenty of shots, so I was well pleased that it hadn't been a total disaster and that I'd been able to offer my friend a few shots and he seemed to have enjoyed himself. That's really what it's all about.

I learnt afterwards that Stour-boy did bring the cake, but 'forgot' to share it :whistling:. Next week perhaps S-B. 

Thanks for enduring yet another of my incessant ramblings. Maybe next time I may even include some technical stuff like what guns we use and what shot size etc........ or maybe not !

OB

This was a perfect example how a few hours should be spent while attempting to shoot a few pigeons , we are at the age now where we no longer worry about the size of the bag and if I am taking another person out the only worry I have is trying to get them a few shots , I like it more in the Summer months when the weather is warmer and I have got more shootable fields to fall back on if for any reason the one that we intend to go on is out of action due to the farm working on it .

Great account once again and I can see the mid session meal break will soon be the highlight of the day , come to think of it , have that time already arrived ?:lol: 

OB an extremely well written account of the afternoon. Thanks for the chance to get out with you and letting me have the lions share of the shooting, I did get over excited at times and try some wild shots (wont tell you how many empties I picked up). Well done for carrying all your own gear 😎 a younger man would have struggled 🙄. I did offer but it looked as if you had a well practiced routine in place for getting your gear to where you wanted to be. Next time if it looks like rain, I will think twice about what side of the hide to pick, over and under will be my choice of gun !  It was quite a contrast to our last outing back in the summer on the rape stubble, it was the hottest day of the year 🥵. if it wasn't for Decker we would have struggled picking all the birds.

Incidentally when we got back to OB's he offered me tea, as he opened the door to his house there was the delicious smell of slow cooked pheasant filling the house, it made me feel like inviting myself for dinner 🙃 

Thanks again for a perfect afternoon Chris