tison furey

Saltings

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

People are of course entitled to their opinion, but Tyson would loose badly in today's division and Ali wouldn't even be in it, I love nostalgia and I would never take away from what the greats of the sweat science achieved in their era's, but they wouldn't be effective competition today, people who know the sport wouldn't be disagreeing with me.

Nah! If in their day they had the benefit of the same scientific approach to training, fitness, diet etc as the fighters of today.......I believe they would compete with anyone!

People are of course entitled to their opinion, but Tyson would loose badly in today's division and Ali wouldn't even be in it, 

"Anyone who knows anything about boxing" - well it clearly isn't you.

Why would Ali not be "in it"? Ali fought big punchers and won - Cleveland Big Cat Williams, George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, Al Blue Lewis, Ron Lyle. I think Fury and Tyson would have struggled with any of them.

38 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Why would Ali not be "in it"? Ali fought big punchers and won - Cleveland Big Cat Williams, George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, Al Blue Lewis, Ron Lyle. I think Fury and Tyson would have struggled with any of them.

not to mention henry cooper ali reckoned  he had never been hit so hard   lifting him off the canvas   

11 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I fought open class for the amateurs for many years and boxed from 8 until I finished competing at 29, I've sparred (obviously not on anywhere near their level) but with some now fairly well known names. I think I know a bit thanks Gordon.

Sport is always marching forwards, boxing is no different, how often over the last number of years have athletes got slower or worse. Look at the size of the guys in Mike Tyson's era, then look back at Ali's, that in no way takes away from what these guys did, bit boxing has moved on.

I fought open class for the amateurs for many years and boxed from 8 until I finished competing at 29, I've sparred (obviously not on anywhere near their level) but with some now fairly well known names. I think I know a bit thanks Gordon.

I am unclear as to what your record shows that has anything to do with the professional game. I boxed as a youth - so what.

Ali was as heavy as most of today's heavyweights. It is only the 18 or 19 stone fighters that are heavier. Both Mike Tyson and Joe Frazier knocked out very heavy fighters. Ron Lyle and George Foreman would be heavy by today's standards.

As for sport marching forward, I beg to differ. There were a lot more good heavyweights in Ali's day than the current crop of mediocre nobodies - Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Cleveland Williams, Earnie Shavers, Ernie Terrell, Mac Foster, Ken Norton, Oscar Bonevena, Jerry Quarry. Two of those - Shavers and Williams are amongst the hardest punchers of all time and George Chuvalo is accepted as having the best chin.

You need to do your homework.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

I am unclear as to what your record shows that has anything to do with the professional game. I boxed as a youth - so what.

Ali was as heavy as most of today's heavyweights. It is only the 18 or 19 stone fighters that are heavier. Both Mike Tyson and Joe Frazier knocked out very heavy fighters. Ron Lyle and George Foreman would be heavy by today's standards.

As for sport marching forward, I beg to differ. There were a lot more good heavyweights in Ali's day than the current crop of mediocre nobodies - Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Cleveland Williams, Earnie Shavers, Ernie Terrell, Mac Foster, Ken Norton, Oscar Bonevena, Jerry Quarry. Two of those - Shavers and Williams are amongst the hardest punchers of all time and George Chuvalo is accepted as having the best chin.

You need to do your homework.

Well you've got your opinion and I've got mine, but it's clear to me you haven't a clue.