Red Diesel

The Heron

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, walshie said:

Thanks. I can't see how any farmer could handle practically doubling his fuel bill without passing the costs on to everyone in the chain.

Could suit the government well, pushing the cost of produce up is a win tax wise?

3 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I tried to avoid politicising it and to be honest I'm not sure I fully follow the logic of the point you appear to be trying to make. 

The article states as a last gasp

"

Meanwhile, the chancellor is expected to scrap a subsidy on diesel used by the farming and construction sector in an effort to encourage a switch to greener alternative fuel vehicles and help the UK meet its climate change targets.

Rishi Sunak is set to announce in next week's budget"

Expected is not will , so conjecture,   set  means will so stating a definite,  in my mind stirring

Well, if the BBC news on red diesel is true it is consistent with a leaked report reported in the press , an extract of which is below. The last line of is particularly telling

"A senior economic adviser to new Chancellor Rishi Sunak has argued that Britain could become 'like Singapore' and import all our food.

Dr Tim Leunig – a powerful voice in Whitehall – claims that the agriculture and fishing industries make a negligible contribution to the economy, and points out that the former British outpost 'is rich without having its own agricultural sector'.

In his controversial comments, he also suggests farmers should not be given tax breaks denied to other industries."

As far as I'm aware even the diesel generators for the refrigerators on supermarket delivery lorries currently run on red diesel.

This has all been brewing for a while, I'm just surprised that the government would hammer everyone using the stuff in one go; I suspect more to do with needing to raise tax revenue than any lefty / green agenda... 

4 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Well, if the BBC news on red diesel is true it is consistent with a leaked report reported in the press , an extract of which is below. The last line of is particularly telling

"A senior economic adviser to new Chancellor Rishi Sunak has argued that Britain could become 'like Singapore' and import all our food.

Dr Tim Leunig – a powerful voice in Whitehall – claims that the agriculture and fishing industries make a negligible contribution to the economy, and points out that the former British outpost 'is rich without having its own agricultural sector'.

In his controversial comments, he also suggests farmers should not be given tax breaks denied to other industries."

Heresay and political mischief , by BBC and other lefty media, its all they have left to do .

The tories are not out to alienate their new found voters with tax hikes like this, it defies logic.

Farmers need to be on side when it comes to stuff like this, particularly with the uncertainty regarding what is replacing CAP.
The fishing industry likewise, as it seems to be the weapon of the moment used in EU trade negotiations.

And , thats without the multitude of people running heating, marine and plant, possibly running into the hundreds of thousands, people who would NOT be voting tory next time.

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

This has all been brewing for a while,

Not the first time a chancellor has threatened it.
And thats all it is , a threat.

6 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I'm just surprised that the government would hammer everyone using the stuff in one go; I suspect more to do with needing to raise tax revenue than any lefty / green agenda... 

£2.5  billion isnt worth losing the impetus of BJs plans at this time.

Its simply not happening.

56 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

And smacks of the good old Biased BC making guesses and stirring to forward their left wing agenda and make trouble.

Was quoted in the (not left wing) daily fail last year and times just recently before the beeb reported it, so not really stirring or biased.

Red diesel has a dye that can easily be removed. It also has an invisible marker that can also be removed. There is a massive black market industry removing these tracers. There is also many people who just use the stuff as it is. I think this will be a win win. They will raise all the extra tax from the legitimate users as well as clawing back all the lost revenue from illegal use.

Having just posted the above, t remembered something else. What about home heating oil and kerosene, both can also be used illegally.

2 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Red diesel has a dye that can easily be removed. It also has an invisible marker that can also be removed. There is a massive black market industry removing these tracers. There is also many people who just use the stuff as it is. I think this will be a win win. They will raise all the extra tax from the legitimate users as well as clawing back all the lost revenue from illegal use.

Cant argue with that, but you cant hurt the illegal use of it without harming the legal use.
Effectively doubling someones heating bill, or making plant and farm use so much more expensive would have huge repercussions.

People need reassurance at this time that costs arent going through the roof.

But like I said,  I would be gobsmacked if it happens.