Snickers Welsh Gag backfires!

TIGHTCHOKE

3 hours ago, Longstrider said:

So what's the Welsh for "Miserable twit with no sense of humour and nothing better to do than complain about it when others have a harmless giggle." then ?

I'd start with four letter L followed by a z then four letter g and some more random letters. Just think countdown conundrum or vowels and consonants, to us gobbldygook to the Welsh perfect sense 🤪

3 hours ago, Aled said:

Iawn te, i gyd ddwedai i yw: Rhowch e lan eich pennolau!!

(come on lads you must of expected this type of response from one of your Welsh contingent )

Iechyd Da

Aled

Hollol cytuno Aled :good:

popti ping is used as slang.... as most of the English language is. 

popti ping - cooker that pings...

Lads - don’t hate us because we can talk about you when you come visiting our beautiful country. 

Cym Bwyll :good:

17 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Oh Boy you have got that right! only some though, not a lot, but the few are very vocal

The trouble with Welsh is that it is an ancient language so "real" Welsh becomes less usable in modern conversation. It comes from a time when there were no cars, TVs, supermarkets etc. So more and more is just made up words by the Welsh Language Society to plug the gaps.

They are fighting a losing battle which is why they are so defensive.

Aren't most languages from before such things were about? 

They all evolve, its just that some of us get on with it. "English" has changed a lot over the years. 

Slight tangent...

The beauty of English is we have no shame in finding good words from foreign tongues and taking them into our language. The French are awful for trying and failing to create a ‘native’ word to replace a commonly used international term. I am an internationalist and can’t understand the effort being put in to create difference. 

I know many native Welsh speakers, it’s great that they use such an ancient language as their first tongue. However I do not believe that using “email” instead of “e-bostiadau” is going to threaten the thousands of years of their heritage. Just like sombre, doppelgänger, bungalow, amphitheatre, villa etc do not threaten English words or the structure of our language. 

Edited by WalkedUp

19 minutes ago, manthing said:

Aren't most languages from before such things were about? 

They all evolve, its just that some of us get on with it. "English" has changed a lot over the years. 

To me there is a difference between a language evolving and a committee sitting round a table four times a year to make up a word specifically so its not the same as the English word

14 hours ago, figgy said:

Makes less sense Aled.

Just joining in on the joke figgy. Google translate is easily available and has a wide range of language choices including Welsh.......I found the snickers situation rather amusing,... I'm from the generation that saw Welsh become more mainstream and benefitted from the efforts of others, (including non Welsh speakers like my Mam), the snickers situation is miniscule compared to what's happened in the past!!

Iechyd Da

Aled

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

To me there is a difference between a language evolving and a committee sitting round a table four times a year to make up a word specifically so its not the same as the English word

Ambulance 😂😂😂ambiwlans.  Gotda love em. 

“Gotda” ..... English at is best 🙄

Do you need a hug? You seem very bitter about something...

which is strange for a Londoner who now lives in Cornwall!

There are over 10,000 English words come from French. Many others come from Latin, the language from which French originated.

This means that a significant number of English words have either exact French counterparts or very similar equivalents in French.

33 minutes ago, manthing said:

Ambulance 😂😂😂ambiwlans.  Gotda love em. 

There are thousands of examples like that, photograph becomes ffotograff. There is a subtle difference between wanting to preserve an ancient language, which is admirable, and losing sight of why you want to preserve it.

Edited by Vince Green

2 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

There are over 10,000 English words come from French. Many others come from Latin, the language from which French originated.

This means that a significant number of English words have either exact French counterparts or very similar equivalents in French.

Similarly, Scandanavian, and increasingly American.  Lots of Indian and Arab words too. Even the word English is German (Anglish) meaning the language of the Angles of North Germany. But the point is the words get assimilated as they are,   

22 hours ago, Vince Green said:

There are thousands of examples like that, photograph becomes ffotograff. There is a subtle difference between wanting to preserve an ancient language, which is admirable, and losing sight of why you want to preserve it.

This article explains it better than i can.

https://whywelsh.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/welsh-steals-words/