Nice new stailess headers for the Landie

Walker570

Nice new stainless headers for the Landie. The old ones are waking the village every morning.

QUESTION>   LPG  I have had it fitted to my Landie V8 for 10yrs and had no problems. Recently the engine has started to huff and chuff and back fire.  Put on new distributor and coil, a little bit better but still doing it.  Any ideas ????  Would it be the gas flow from the unit ?  It still appears to be doing about the same miles on a fill as before.  Beginning to scratch my head over it.  Flies on petrol no problem.

007.jpg

Edited by Walker570

At 10 years of LPG have you have the LPG system serviced yet? The evaporator may have issues with the diaphragm. If it’s been ran predominantly on LPG I would be surprised it’s had any chance to build up carbon? 

what state are the plugs in? Check plugs for worn electrodes and if you can check the ignition leads too. Both can lead to backfire on LPG. As can valve clearances! 

Edited by Lord Geordie

Thanks for the info.  The plug leads are brand new and top quality competition quality.  It only eats petrol starting on occasion and maybe a couple of miles at most.

I am beginning to think the System may be the problem as it has not been serviced as such other than draining it.    I'll give your idea a try Ditchie and send you the bill :good::lol:

My garage mechanic has looked at the unit, but he is not familiar with the make.  What would a 'service' involve?

A service is normally more filter changes and calibration than anything else, But over time the evaporators diaphragm can fail. The injectors can stick and the valves may need the clearances checked. I ran a 1.4 Astra for around 8 years on LPG and except for a few minor issues it was brilliant. You can buy service kits for the injector solonoids and the diaphragm kits with gaskets. 

I am running carbs on my V8.  I'll get the lad to put a new set of plugs in whilst he changes the headers tomorrow.  I think the unit is probably done for.  I have been looking for a Holley carb for it which would need a change of LPG unit so may look at that option.  Finding one at a sensible price is like searching for rocking horse droppings.