Shotguns from the UK to Ireland

Alright bods,

Short and sweet so here goes but please only reply if you have concrete evidence or even better, experience.

I have four shotguns in the UK which have been written on to other peoples tickets when I sold up and moved to Ireland.

Has anyone brought theirs over on a holiday passport?

Hit me up if you have done so please.

Lurcherboy

I was in a slightly different position to yourself, as I was shooting in competitions against the Garda. But even so, the system would still be the same.  From this end, I needed a European Firearms pass, free from the local FEO.  The guns that I could be taking were listed on that pass. I then also needed a Firearms Visitors pass issued by the Garda, again listing the guns that I intended to take. I would board the ferry, along with other team members, at Liverpool. We would make the ferry company aware that we were carrying firearms, at the ferry BUT do not mention any ammunition. They will not allow you to take BOTH guns and ammo on board. We got around this by one of the cars would NOT have any firearms on board, but several thousand rounds of ammo, which they are not obliged to declare. We were usually the last to board and er ..........................told to leave the guns in the vehicles   ??  ???      However upon reaching Dublin we would just drive off the ferry without a problem.  It is some 15 years since I was last there, so maybe security has tightened, but that is an outline of the procedure we went through. Hope this helps.

10 hours ago, Westley said:

I was in a slightly different position to yourself, as I was shooting in competitions against the Garda. But even so, the system would still be the same.  From this end, I needed a European Firearms pass, free from the local FEO.  The guns that I could be taking were listed on that pass. I then also needed a Firearms Visitors pass issued by the Garda, again listing the guns that I intended to take. I would board the ferry, along with other team members, at Liverpool. We would make the ferry company aware that we were carrying firearms, at the ferry BUT do not mention any ammunition. They will not allow you to take BOTH guns and ammo on board. We got around this by one of the cars would NOT have any firearms on board, but several thousand rounds of ammo, which they are not obliged to declare. We were usually the last to board and er ..........................told to leave the guns in the vehicles   ??        However upon reaching Dublin we would just drive off the ferry without a problem.  It is some 15 years since I was last there, so maybe security has tightened, but that is an outline of the procedure we went through. Hope this helps.

That's exactly was I was looking for geezer. If I have any issues may I message you for assistance?

Lurcherboy

6 hours ago, Kevin Gillespie said:

My RFD can't send any guns to southern Ireland only northern but is able to receive guns from a southern Ireland RFD .  This is what he told me back  in November so kind of a one way operation I'm told.

Well, I would dispute that. The arrangement that we had for a lot of years, involving the Garda Shooting teams and ourselves, was that bi-annually, we would go there and then they would come over here the following year. Whenever they came here we would arrange a 'free' day for them on the Friday, then practice on the Saturday and  Competition on the Sunday. On the free day I would take a convoy to Bamfords of Eccleston and then to Centrevine in Formby, Merseyside. They would clean out Bamfords of used gun cases and slips and then fill a vehicle with more rifle ammo and  reloading gear from Centrevine, than you could imagine. Apart from their clayshooting, a lot were well into deer stalking and loaded all their own ammo. They also bought several guns from Bamfords and although they were unable to take them from the shop, the guns were delivered to an RFD at their end. Things may have changed more recently, but I think it would still be possible to RFD to RFD, it may just be a bit more messing than keeping everything over here.

10 hours ago, lurcherboy said:

That's exactly was I was looking for geezer. If I have any issues may I message you for assistance?

Lurcherboy

Yes, if I can help with anything, I will.