Forget .25 or 30

villaman

39 minutes ago, figgy said:

Rabbits with a 9mm slug, what's not to like.

Make a good fox caliber.

Really figgy? It's still a pop gun it'll do a bit more than a .22 LR round and isn't anywhere near a .17 HMR 

It's for those that shoot in the USA and South Africa. I can't see a need in the UK . Will our firearms depts grant it for fox. I think not.

I dont see the point in the uk .of going above 25. Cal. Surely if you want to push 40 grns or more then rf or cf is the way to go .

Yes you can push 80 grns relatively quietly (sub 950 fps ) but  what quarry is it that you need the extra stealth for  ? When a .223 at 80 grns will suffice or a .17 hmr .

Also what  does a .35 cal 150 fpe do that a 50 fpe .25 cant in the uk .? 

More range ?? 

Bigger quarry ?? 

To my mind there is a point at which you have lost the advantages of an airgun and adopted the disadvantages or a rf or cf. .and to me thats 25 grns at 50 fpe .above that the airgun is no longer a safer option than a rf. And you might as well go for the more efficent .22 lr or .17 hmr .

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

To my mind there is a point at which you have lost the advantages of an airgun and adopted the disadvantages or a rf or cf. .and to me thats 25 grns at 50 fpe .above that the airgun is no longer a safer option than a rf. And you might as well go for the more efficent .22 lr or .17 hmr .

Precisely. The window for using an FAC air is undeniable - but small. They're great for squirrel control when you need to be shooting up (thus ruling out RF or CF), and for a bit of a boost in range in open field where riccochets coule be a concern with a 22lr, but you don't need huge energy outputs and mega ranges. .22 lr .17hmr with ammo choices take over then and give you more besides. And you don't need daft calibres like the Wolverine .303 or this thing. .177 to .25 is all you need in FAC air. All very impressive technologically speaking, but a wee bit pointless in the UK.

Price alone would make it illogical here. A decent .22lr set up will be way cheaper.

Edited by chrisjpainter

Oh they might be better than a .22 lr and .17hmr for accuracy and range and down range energy too  

But and its a big but .

The gun is very expensive  .air hungry .

Expensive ammo .

And the fallout risks are much greater than the rf.s 

Also there  will be substantial felt recoil to .

Its a long way from being an airgun .

But i guess its trump  card would be effective quietness and energy at range  

Just with a huge rainbow arc of trajectory to deal with  

For the life of me i cannot think of any good reason for .35 FAC air for shooting our pests in the UK . Can you?

I use a .25 and it's perfect for situations where .22LR .17HMR do not fit.

Just put in for a 1:1 and will be switching to an FX Crown .25 FAC with the the power plenum. 130 shots per charge. 

Will see how i get on with it.