Night shifts

Lloyd90

How many of you work night shifts? 

I have got a job interview in a few weeks for a job that would be good progression and a good pay increase but working in an out of hours team. 

It’s on a 10 week rota, you have 3 whole weeks off in every 10 weeks (so around 15 weeks off a year) but this includes all your annual leave etc. 

The shift pattern includes some nights (5pm-9am the next day), but after each night shift your off the entire next day, worst one your back in for another night the day after (eg night shift starts 5pm Tuesday, finished 9am Wednesday, off Wednesday night , night shift  starts 5pm Thursday) plus the odd 9-5.30 on weekends 

Two of the weeks your on 5pm - 1am so not a whole night, and on the Full over nights if it’s quiet I think as your doubled up with someone else, you can take it in turns to get your head down for 3-4 hours each (unofficially). 

Just wondering what other people’s experiences of nights are? I used to do them as sleep in nights in children’s homes but wouldn’t regularly be up all night (just now and again) although this looks a bit similar, not up all the time. 

Any tips on how to best manage sleep? 
I will have to see how interview goes first though. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the sound of the annual leave being set, but some jobs are obviously like that.

I've always worked shifts, I prefer nights but I can sleep anytime,  not everyone can.

For me you get paid more, less traffic travelling to and from work,  although finishing at 9am could be painful, nights would normally be 7-7 or 10-6 working 5-9 am means probably more like 4pm till 10am by the time you add in getting ready and getting to and from work,  long shifts.

I do nights, have done for the best part of 20 years.  I had a break from them for 3-4 years and now I’m lucky if I sleep for 3-4 hours a day when doing them. Never had an issue before, age maybe plays a part.
One thing’s for sure, they’re not good for you. 

I taxi drove permanent nights - latterly all nights - for about 40 years and seriously wish I hadn't.

I retired three years ago and despite trying to bust that body clock several times I have now about given up trying: the nearest I can get is sometimes sleep for 3~4 hours twice per 24 hours. I sometimes crack it until I have an appointment or other reason to break the routine - like somebody knocking the door, papping their horn or whatever. If I had to take another job now it would have to fit in with a night shift body clock. I'm typing this at gone 4 AM because I got fed up channel flicking the TV.

It may not be so bad for you, but may be even worse with one night on and one off. Best of luck with that and If I recall correctly you possibly need the better money.  

Several years ago worked the three shift routine, 6 to 2, 2 to 10, 10 to 6 and with that you can get into a routine, biggest problem that I had was indigestion due to eating at odd hours, the shift pattern you outlined looks like a nightmare to establish any sort of routine, stock up on Gaviscon and the best of luck!

Atb S.

For me the biggest issue was coming off night shifts and trying to reset my body clock  ready for the next shift pattern. I would be awake all night and ready to sleep when I needed to be getting up for work. As said in other posts, be prepared for some days with 2-4 hours sleep whilst your body clock adjusts to the shift change. Obviously everyone is different some people have no issues at all.

On the plus side, the time off is usually pretty good and allows you to get out shooting when others cannot. Best of luck.

I worked a shift rota, 3 days 6am-6pm followed by a swing shift then onto nights 6pm-6am for 18 years. I have Also done periods of permanent nights when away on ops, one of which was for 8 months without any time off. As a young man it was a breeze even though the work for us (aircraft tech) is physically demanding. As I got older I began to struggle with nights because I couldn’t sleep in the day which mean I was going onto shift exhausted and it took its toll so I moved onto permanent days. It took about 18 months to get a regular sleeping pattern back and even now I still wake at 2am and can’t get off to sleep again. If YOU can sleep well in the day, nights are brilliant, less day shift idiots to deal with. Hope that helps buddy👍

Edited by Taileron

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Best of luck with that and If I recall correctly you possibly need the better money.  

Do I? I’m not sure what gave that impression 🤷‍♂️🤣 

I think the job I would likely enjoy very much, will have to see how interview goes first though. 

My current job has recently offered me some more advanced stuff as well so looks good either way. 

I used to work nights on a 2 days 2 nights 4 off pattern. 12 hours 7-7 so 7am-7pm on the days and 7pm-7am the nights. It was fine at the start but after about 10 years enough was enough. My sleep pattern still hasn’t recovered a couple of years on but I think it’s slowly getting there. Work 4 on 4 off all days now 7-7 still. Much better only have to use 4 days leave to get 12 off. None of the night shift eating into your first day off. Out of curiosity what industry is the job in?

Ive done 22 years on shifts , now 4 days off 4 days 07.00 - 1900 4 days off 4 night 19.00-07.00 My world used to end on nights as i used to sleep 2 hours get up sleep 2 hours but now with a **** of a boss the nights and weekends are great as the managements not in and we are well paid for what we do less than 6 months a year once you put sickness and 35 days holidays a year  

I did 14 years of shifts including 12hour nights. They were horrendous. You walk around like a zombie for a couple of days with what I call a “nights hangover”. Home life goes downhill as your tired, forgetful and generally grumpy. Also not being at home at night when you always used to be puts a strain on a relationship. i don’t think I fully realised how bad I was until about 8 months after I stopped doing them, when my perpetual hangover had gone, my sleep had improved, my memory is less like a dementia sufferer. Nights will shorten your life, they will affect your friends and family. My advice is don’t do it! 

I done a simular shift pattern i worked four twelve hr shifts two days two nights four on four off and 18 days off every set of six weeks and all your hollidays included in them when on the night shift i used to hit the wall as the saying goes around 3 am i used to operate a 75 ton overhead crane hated nights i used to get about 4 hrs sleep in the day done that shift pattern for 10 yrs

Edited by Rim Fire

I did 4 on 4 off 12hrs. The 4 off sounds good to those that hadn't just dine 4 12hr nights. In reality it felt like just 2 off. 

I've took a 6k PA drop.and got a day job, same place, happier and healthier. 

The older you are the longer it takes to recover and get into normal day life. 

I’d advise against personally, and always do, but in the end it’s the money which usually makes the decision. 
I did various shift patterns for over 12 years, including quick change overs to get from 12 hr nights to 12 hr days. They had it all the wrong way around going from nights to days ( for a better shift premium ) rather than days to nights. My Dad advised me against it as he’d done similar but I was young and just thought if the money. 
The last two years we went onto four on four off, all 12 hour shifts, which was brilliant in comparison, especially to a shooting man! Four 12 hour days four off, four 12 hour nights, four off. 
It messes up your sleep patterns, your eating habits and your bowels.

Mate has done continental shifts for donkies years ( gets a full week off every few weeks ) and reckons he only gets about four hours sleep each 24, whether he’s at work or not. 
Like I said, I’d advise against, but if the moneys right you’ll do it. 

Edited by Scully

I work mainly night shifts which are 14 per month. The shifts are 13 hrs with 1 hr break. They average around 3-4 per week over the month, and usually a block of 3 nights shifts in a row, then maybe 1 or 2 off and then another 1 shift. I don't work more than 3 shifts continuously.

I have worked a few patterns over the years. 
the worse by far was 6 hours on 6 off - that was awful, you were sleeping twice in one day but didn’t get enough time to eat and get ready whilst having a decent sleep. It was just work sleep. 

I didn’t mind nights as I sleep better during the day. 

Chopping between days and nights without a decent break is a killer. 

4 minutes ago, old man said:

.......... Did not know if I was punched, bored, reamed  or counter sunk ......

Lovely phrase, that. 

My maternal Granny used to say, when we were little and she was distracted, that she didn't know whether she was punched or bored. 

We explained the phrase to her when we were teenagers. 

I think that my engineer of a father just kept quietly tittering every time she used it

I worked nights for an extract cleaning company in my early 20's, used to leave about 9/10pm, drive down to London and be home around 5am.

Sometimes I used to get home and wash the car before I went to be if it was light enough. Usually have a couple hours sleep then either get up and do a day job or spend some time with my boy then grab a couple hours sleep before leaving in the evening if I could.

I wouldn't take a job on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday night though.

Now touching 30 I think I'd probably struggle to do the same again.

I used to work seven 10-6 nights which was hard but I was young enough to get through it.Later it was 2x12 hour nights which again were do-able but harder as I was in my late 40's.

If its not a long term thing and the moneys right-you will adjust and cope.

Mind you, I don't miss leaving the house just as the family is settling down for the night.

There are a lot of plus's working a shift pattern-if it suits you.

f.

I worked nights for a security company for some offices in Bishopsgate area London. Only did 2 nights, apparently offices where built on a burial ground. Sleep wasn't a problem you was too worried about your next 2 hourly walk round, 2nd floor get there all doors open, close them as you walk past, open lift door at end of corridor step in lift turn around and all the doors where open again.

Nah never do night shift again.

Being in the building trade we only ever done the odd night if we had to install something when the shops shut and them we would work most of the night and then had the following day off , so it wasn't that bad but I certainly wont had done it on a regular basis .

My dad worked on the railway's , for years he done the three shifts that was mentioned in a earlier post ( 6 till 2 , 2 till 10 and then the dreaded 10 till 6 ) , he could never get used to the night shift , in fact he hated it but with six kids he had a lot of mouths to feed andwith the ever ending bill's he just got on with it , but he still hated doing them .