Night shifts

Lloyd90

Done 12 on 2 off 12-14 hour shifts then on last shift a 4.30 hour drive to get home that always resulted in one of the days off gone due to sleep.done this forv5 years then the problems started to set in due to lack of sleep.eventually ended up doing less shifts and on days .but still have sleep problems ten year later .have a good think about the problems it can cause and dont fall into the trap of drinking the energy drinks as many do .

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Fuddster said:

on the old shift pattern, i used to work seven 10-6 nights finishing 6am on Monday morning and then back in for work at 2pm in the afternoon for a 2-10pm shift,followed by another 2-10pm on Tuesday.

I blame that for taking away my 'boy band' good looks!

f.

To cover holidays or someone off sick, we often did similar. I’ve sometimes come off a 12 hour night shift, finishing at 6am, back in at 2pm til 10pm, then back in at 6am to get onto 12 hour days! Really messes you up. 

In the bad old days i did 3 nights 9pm till 7am , them on the 4th day you did 2pm till 9pm x3 first shift you started waking up about tea time at your work  and if you had a few drinks when you got home it was a cheap night then the other 2 backshifts 2pm till 9pm let you do something in the morning or at night as most places where still open after 9 pm , then you did 3x 7am till 2 pm and you had all the rest of the day to do stuff or catch a couple of hours sleep if you want and then your first day off stated at 2pm you had 3 clear days off then you didnt go back till 9pm so it was like five days off 

it was a killer be we signed up for it and coped till somebody did a research paper on shifts and found that was the worst one and could take 10 years off your live work quickly ditched it and did 12 hours 4 on 4 off 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I am asking friends in the team what their night shifts are like. If they can spend a good chunk of it sleeping I wonder if it will be as bad. 

They have a back office with a bed etc.

‘IF’ being the operative word, you could spend a ‘good chunk’ of a night shift asleep, then fine. Ask you colleagues to be honest with you; no one is keen to admit they’ve made a mistake. 
Four on four off was brilliant as I’ve said; if you have any influence this is what I’d be pushing for. Get your hours in in a lump sum then time off.
There were four of us doing it so it worked well, as even when someone took four days holiday, it meant we only did six on two off; the other bloke covered the other two days by doing the same, then you were off for your normal four days. Never seemed excessive and they were soon done with. Six months off a year! 😀

There is a reason everyone takes their holidays when they are rotared to do nights! 🙂
I had a bit of a personal crisis while doing shift work, ( before we changed to four on four off ) which ended up with me having anxiety attacks. It wasn’t until I’d been signed off that a few of the others admitted to having similar issues. I can’t say whether it was totally the result of excessive shifts, but they certainly didn’t help. I was living on pure adrenalin for weeks and simply got to the stage where I ceased to function. It’s something I have to declare come renewal times. 
Give it some serious thought.

I hope it works out for you, cos I know you’re gonna do it. 🙂

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg256.pdf

I am assuming its had a Risk assessment on that shift, it looks awful. 

If you do end up doing it, use the money wisely, pay off your mortgage, debts etc because that shift will fluff up your social life big time. Its all well and good being on good money, being paid a premium for shift work. BUT one thing i can 100% guarantee one thing,, your only passing through this life once,,,, make the most of it 😉 

Another read for you. https://www.hse.gov.uk/toolbox/organisation/shiftwork.htm

Edited by Dougy

yes ,  steer clear of the energy drinks, I worked 12 hour shifts for 23 years but on a decent pattern which meant only working 14 days a month with a solid full week off, I got used to it without red bull/monster hits or their withdrawal symptoms. Make sure you use the time off, especially if its mid week like mine was, sleep will catch you up on your days off. Enjoy the extra money, I retired early on mine

Currently do 4 on 4 off. 0700-1900  for 2 and then 1900 till 0700. Finishing at 7 am on your first day off sucks. Factor in driving home and sleeping and that day doesn't count. 

To get in for 7am I'm up at 0430 and out the door for 5.  for the night shift due to traffic up at 3pm. 

I get home about 8. Sleep by 9. That's if I finish on time. Often done 14 or 15 hours at work. It's knackering. Fine if your young without a family. Wife complains she's like a single parent 50% of the time as I'm either not here or asleep. Cut my shooting by 60% easy.

Personally I hate night shifts, the change back to earlies is hellish.  

Will be moving departments soon and the nights end. Can't wait. 

2 hours ago, thebigH91 said:

yes ,  steer clear of the energy drinks, I worked 12 hour shifts for 23 years but on a decent pattern which meant only working 14 days a month with a solid full week off, I got used to it without red bull/monster hits or their withdrawal symptoms. Make sure you use the time off, especially if its mid week like mine was, sleep will catch you up on your days off. Enjoy the extra money, I retired early on mine

A heart consultant at Leicester was telling us that its a ticking time bomb for youths of today drinking that stuff to get through shifts. 

Guest cookoff013

Just dont get sucked in to the stuff like,

"Anyone willing to do 40 hrs a week should do 50 !"

"Anyone willing to do 60 hrs a week should do 80 !"

"Anyone willing to do 90 hrs a week should do 140 !"

Semi rotational shift work with, no time at home really is a killer.

One guy at my place colapsed after 140hr week.

4 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

Just dont get sucked in to the stuff like,

"Anyone willing to do 40 hrs a week should do 50 !"

"Anyone willing to do 60 hrs a week should do 80 !"

"Anyone willing to do 90 hrs a week should do 140 !"

Semi rotational shift work with, no time at home really is a killer.

One guy at my place colapsed after 140hr week.

I'm not surprised, 20 hours per day plus travel, time to eat etc, when did he ever sleep?

16 hours ago, Dougy said:

A heart consultant at Leicester was telling us that its a ticking time bomb for youths of today drinking that stuff to get through shifts. 

I've seen lads chugging cans of monster on days like its water?? Gaming till the early hours then in work at 6am and they wont listen. 

11 hours ago, decoy1979 said:

I'm not surprised, 20 hours per day plus travel, time to eat etc, when did he ever sleep?

I've worked with guys who boast of doing 6&7 days a week, but their asleep half the night while the machine runs, or napping for a couple of hours at a time, not for me thanks.

Guest cookoff013
15 hours ago, decoy1979 said:

No travel. He actually slept at work