Simulated game day

B725

In July I will be going on a simulated game day have have been told to take 500 cartridges and a couple of boxes of ibuprofen I think. I've never shot at clays seriously just a bit of fun so use my normal 32g pigeon/game cartridges, so I'm not sure what to buy they have to be fibre wad and be able to use whatever is left on the pigeons or crow's so they don't get wasted. 500 shots in one day is some going so they must also be soft on the shoulder. 

With 32 gram your shoulder no matter how good your gunfit will look like it's all colours of the rainbow. Take 21 gram or 24 gram (28 gram if you really must) or maximum English 7.5 shot. English 8 may be better. Also use earplugs with earmuffs over the top as hearing damage is cumulative. Gloves are a good idea or a leather handguard if using a side by side. 

7 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

With 32 gram your shoulder no matter how good your gunfit will look like it's all colours of the rainbow. Take 21 gram or 24 gram (28 gram if you really must) or maximum English 7.5 shot. English 8 may be better. Also use earplugs with earmuffs over the top as hearing damage is cumulative. Gloves are a good idea or a leather handguard if using a side by side. 

Really do you think game shooters don’t fire 500 plus in a day 

wear the appropriate clothes and a good fitting gun and you should be fine 

If you’re unsure about the fit or you haven’t got a good gun mount go for the light loads 

all these days are different ask at the venue if they are going to put on extreme clays or easy stuff that’s not going to need a bigger shot load 

Really do you think game shooters don’t fire 500 plus in a day

I know they don't.

And I've shot enough driven game days of over two hundred shot over thirty plus years of this pastime to know so. I certainly didn't use five hundred cartridges and neither did anybody else. Even on double gunned day you'd not shoot five hundred cartridges.

Walsingham's record grouse bag was of over one thousand birds for just one and a half thousand cartridges. Most shoots will average three cartridges to each bird shot. Some shoots that ration might be 4:1. On a three hundred bird day that's about a thousand cartridges to one thousand twelve hundred. A team of eight guns? 1200/8 = 150. 

500 plus a day fired? Daft!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ii99CgAAQBAJ&pg=PT29&lpg=PT29&dq=record+grouse+bag&source=bl&ots=-E5RkXXhGp&sig=ACfU3U3DeTNo9WqOqcbG2WalrbVOhgrPhA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjftqm76IjoAhXMbMAKHVM7C28Q6AEwCXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=record grouse bag&f=false

Edited by enfieldspares

Just for comparison. My friend runs a high bird shoot, 8:1 is the standard ratio (crazy I know) for 500 head and the total shot count is often 4,000 between 8-9 guns. They will be shooting 32g+

I would recommend 21/24g for clays however, you don’t get too many runners. 

21 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

I’ve just been on one today , have put a post up , I used hull comp x 21g and they worked great ,fired over 400 carts through the day with no problem 

Absolutely, or Llayvale Express superlight 21g. 

If you're Derbysire, look at visiting the Boar. Christian has sim driven game, sim flushes, you can select 20 or 40 any number of you shooting and as many flushes as you can afford. I shoot there about once a week and often get through a slab in an hour or two. 

My son shoots 28g Hull Comp X, but when he runs out pinches my 21g and always seems surprised when it hits the extreme or long range stuff.

I would buy a pair of 1kg weighted gloves - that is 1kg per hand. Then practice mounting the gun indoors for a few weeks before the shoot - with the gloves on obviously. Build up to 150/200 mounts over a two hour period and then give yourself a week off before the event. This will build your muscles up and stop fatigue. Fatigue is much more likely to ruin your day that the cartridge selection. 28g Hull Comp X (plastic) is a good choice but if you need fibre Gamebore Evo 24g or 28g are good choices and easily available.

Edited by Adrian Foster

The shoot I went on was great , there were clays in the sky at most times but nothing was a rush , there were eight machines throwing across the eight pegs so lots of angles , and no one got the hump if you shot your neighbours or four pegs down , with a loader you can have a mad five minutes and shoot as quick and as much as you can ( it is fun!!!! ) or be selective and pick your shots , as someone picked up on your left arm can pay for it a little as in mounting soo many times but it’s not that it’s a problem  

The estate I once shot over some thirty years ago used to have an annual charity clay day. And as it had the abandoned Great Central Line running through it. As well as the five usual suspect stands including a dropping pigeon, and rabbit. and teal and etc., it also used to mount an automatic trap on one of the embankments and run a "one man flush". Which was fun. One of the guns pretty much used to win it most years as whilst the over under boys were good shots he was as good. But his advantage was that even though he was using a side by side he used his Purdey.

Edited by enfieldspares

On 7 March 2020 at 16:47, enfieldspares said:

I know they don't.

And I've shot enough driven game days of over two hundred shot over thirty plus years of this pastime to know so. I certainly didn't use five hundred cartridges and neither did anybody else. Even on double gunned day you'd not shoot five hundred cartridges.

Walsingham's record grouse bag was of over one thousand birds for just one and a half thousand cartridges. Most shoots will average three cartridges to each bird shot. Some shoots that ration might be 4:1. On a three hundred bird day that's about a thousand cartridges to one thousand twelve hundred. A team of eight guns? 1200/8 = 150. 

500 plus a day fired? Daft!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ii99CgAAQBAJ&pg=PT29&lpg=PT29&dq=record+grouse+bag&source=bl&ots=-E5RkXXhGp&sig=ACfU3U3DeTNo9WqOqcbG2WalrbVOhgrPhA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjftqm76IjoAhXMbMAKHVM7C28Q6AEwCXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=record grouse bag&f=false

I did 4 days last season where I shot over 500 34/4s. 2 were back to back 1200 over 2 days. 

Everyday in Agentina is 2000 shots, South Africa about 1200

Edited by Perazzishot

It’s not a contest of manliness of bragging rights about what weight of load you could shoot.  Get yourself a couple of slabs of 7.5 21g loads, blast away to your hearts content at the sim day and you arms will tire before your shoulder or cheek do.

Whatever is left use over decoys at 30yds through a half choke and the pigeons will still drop stone dead.

Make it as fun for yourself as you can, poach your neighbours targets, in fact poach 3 pegs down if you can as there will be plenty targets in the sky for them to do it back to you.

Perazzishot has done more than one sim day when i’ve been organising rather than booming and he giggled like a bairn at some of the outrageous poaching he did, mind you he was shooting against a group of part time women 😜😜😜