Simulated game day

B725

19 hours ago, grrclark said:

It’s not a contest of manliness of bragging rights about what weight of load you could shoot.  Get yourself a couple of slabs of 7.5 21g loads, blast away to your hearts content at the sim day and you arms will tire before your shoulder or cheek do.

Whatever is left use over decoys at 30yds through a half choke and the pigeons will still drop stone dead.

Make it as fun for yourself as you can, poach your neighbours targets, in fact poach 3 pegs down if you can as there will be plenty targets in the sky for them to do it back to you.

Perazzishot has done more than one sim day when i’ve been organising rather than booming and he giggled like a bairn at some of the outrageous poaching he did, mind you he was shooting against a group of part time women 😜😜😜

Shhhhhhhhhh still makes giggle, when they kept looking round :shoot::innocent:

• 4 weeks later...

On an entirely unrelated note because I’m a bit bored, a few sim days ago I took all the odds and ends of fibre wad cartridges I had to tidy things up a bit. 21 and 24g from Eley and Hull were pretty much identical in recoil, but the Eleys seemed to be loaded with confetti. 30 and 32g game cartridges had a bit more thump, but nothing outrageous. The worst of the lot was Lyalvale Express English Sporter 28g. 

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, B725 said:

It was , I used Eley select 24g  7.5s and was very impressed with them. 

Was out with the dog on the sports field (about 1.5 miles atcf) and one of the new young locals was chuntering about the noise upsetting her (very small) dog. I suggested that as the ground had been there longer than she had been alive, and that it was quiet compared with the noise of crop protection and gas guns, let alone the Matlock Bath fireworks she would be advised to desensitise her dog:whistling:🤣  

1 hour ago, B725 said:

I can't imagine that it that loud 1.5 mile away,next time I go I might slip a few 36gs in my pocket. Do many locals complain?

Sounds a bit like a loud kids cap gun, and no most of the locals once they have been here a while don't even notice as far as I know.  

Some of them, however, moan about the motorcross in the Quarry.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/07/2020 at 16:53, Yellow Bear said:

Was out with the dog on the sports field (about 1.5 miles atcf) and one of the new young locals was chuntering about the noise upsetting her (very small) dog. I suggested that as the ground had been there longer than she had been alive, and that it was quiet compared with the noise of crop protection and gas guns, let alone the Matlock Bath fireworks she would be advised to desensitise her dog🤣  

Can you let the new young locals we are going again on 4th September 😄😄

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2020 at 16:47, enfieldspares said:

I know they don't.

And I've shot enough driven game days of over two hundred shot over thirty plus years of this pastime to know so. I certainly didn't use five hundred cartridges and neither did anybody else. Even on double gunned day you'd not shoot five hundred cartridges.

Walsingham's record grouse bag was of over one thousand birds for just one and a half thousand cartridges. Most shoots will average three cartridges to each bird shot. Some shoots that ration might be 4:1. On a three hundred bird day that's about a thousand cartridges to one thousand twelve hundred. A team of eight guns? 1200/8 = 150. 

500 plus a day fired? Daft!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ii99CgAAQBAJ&pg=PT29&lpg=PT29&dq=record+grouse+bag&source=bl&ots=-E5RkXXhGp&sig=ACfU3U3DeTNo9WqOqcbG2WalrbVOhgrPhA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjftqm76IjoAhXMbMAKHVM7C28Q6AEwCXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=record grouse bag&f=false

Really! fired 900 shots on Saturday on a sim day Hull Superfast 27g. Can't say the shoulder feels any different. Have also fired on a regular basis over 500 36g loads on a driven day often back to back and again can't say I've even had a mark on my shoulder.

Remember Digweed used to shoot 5000 a week in practice for competitions at the weekend!

When I was doing a lot of loading (double gunning) on a seriously big shoot it was commonplace to fire 140+ shots per drive. If you had used less than 100 your gun had probably had a poor draw and been out of the main action. Not everyone hits one for three or four. I once looked after a gentleman who was only single gunning and he fired 112 shots for fifteen pheasants on one drive.

I have only shot on two SIM days. They were very well run and lots of clays and great hospitality.  I tended to shoot as I would on a driven day. I just could not be drawn into shooting at a clay that would make a better 'bird' for my neighbour.  I probably shot a couple of hundred if that on each day. Many of the other guns shooting, did so at any clay which appeared anywhere along the line of guns, some way out of range in my view but there again I shoot predomitably live game and concentrated on those clays within killing range. I'm sure these SIM days are very enjoyable for many shooters but not my scene.  I rarely experience greedy guns on the shoots I go to but just wonder if these SIM days could engender the belief you shot at everything that displayed itself.  Hope not because I get as much pleasure from seeing a fellow gun on the next peg folding a good bird that I have left for him/her as I do shooting it myself.   That is not to say I will not attempt to tidy up behind.

25 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have only shot on two SIM days. They were very well run and lots of clays and great hospitality.  I tended to shoot as I would on a driven day. I just could not be drawn into shooting at a clay that would make a better 'bird' for my neighbour.  I probably shot a couple of hundred if that on each day. Many of the other guns shooting, did so at any clay which appeared anywhere along the line of guns, some way out of range in my view but there again I shoot predomitably live game and concentrated on those clays within killing range. I'm sure these SIM days are very enjoyable for many shooters but not my scene.  I rarely experience greedy guns on the shoots I go to but just wonder if these SIM days could engender the belief you shot at everything that displayed itself.  Hope not because I get as much pleasure from seeing a fellow gun on the next peg folding a good bird that I have left for him/her as I do shooting it myself.   That is not to say I will not attempt to tidy up behind.

I think etiquette has a lot to do with game days and respect for your fellow shooter. Faced with a sky full of clays I don't think it does any harm stretching your abilities to either side, and would and expect the same back. If you spent the full day shooting the same repetitive over your head clay it wouldn't be very enjoyable and not true sim day in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

I think etiquette has a lot to do with game days and respect for your fellow shooter. Faced with a sky full of clays I don't think it does any harm stretching your abilities to either side, and would and expect the same back. If you spent the full day shooting the same repetitive over your head clay it wouldn't be very enjoyable and not true sim day in my opinion.

Yep on all the sim days I have been on the fun is trying to take your neighbours birds before he does and vice versa. You’d be off the shoot on the first drive if you tried that on a formal day.😂

54 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yep on all the sim days I have been on the fun is trying to take your neighbours birds before he does and vice versa. You’d be off the shoot on the first drive if you tried that on a formal day.😂

Been on a few shoots where that didn't occur Dave. I was a guest as well. I was actually warned about one guy and he dropped three partridge right on my feet on the first drive and after that I do not believe he had many shots before lunch although he was surrounded by birds. The regular syndicate told him he had met his match.  Not that I enjoyed it of course.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Been on a few shoots where that didn't occur Dave. I was a guest as well. I was actually warned about one guy and he dropped three partridge right on my feet on the first drive and after that I do not believe he had many shots before lunch although he was surrounded by birds. The regular syndicate told him he had met his match.  Not that I enjoyed it of course.

I think I’ve met him, Neville.
In fact, I bet most of us know him!

• 2 weeks later...