A good plan better executed

Jacko3275

So Jdog  let me have the pleasure of shooting  with him again today the options  plan C both of us shoot field (A) and banger field  (B) and make sure the banger was lit properly this time or plan  D Jdog would shoot field  A and me field  B  only this field had not been shot  as there is three horse in a paddock adjoining the field  Jdog  had spoken to the owners yesterday who didn’t mind ... we decided on plan D with a back up plan E which was in case the horses got spooked or the owner changed there mind  in this case I would pack up and join Jdog on field A ... I dropped Jdog off  and went on my way to set up  as I was setting up I could hear a few shots been fired so this looked promising .. my pattern was a magnet and 18 decoys  the first bird in I shot  but it decided it was an hard nut  and flew on  next bird in an high incomer which I missed Jdog rang to ask how it was going I was just getting going and the horses didnt seem to mind the shots the next 15 mins I hit 3 more which dropped with nice thuds I went to put these in the pattern and found 2  and the other must have hit the ground that hard that it buried its self as there was just feathers  and no bird the next 15 mins  was a bit mad  birds in from all angles  I managed 3 more picked and another flyer at this point I phoned Jdog has I had not heard many shots from his direction ( here comes plan  F) I told him how busy it was and if he set up 40 / 50 yards to my left we might do ok  he agreed as it was quiet on field A (confused yet ? cos I am writing this) over the next couple of hours my shooting gradually got worse ( bad nights sleep that’s what am blaming it on ) but Jdog was hitting some  absolute beauties ..at 215 we called as it seemed to have dried up and as usual as we started to pack up the birds came in I managed to get 2 carts in and have a shot only to get another flyer .We ended up with 26 picked so a nice day out ..... just a note to say barney is improving as a gun dog every outing watched him do some great retrieves today and cheers Jdog for the shooting and great company again

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You really should be getting less flyers.

I know ... slightly  above, below,in front or behind  who knows .. it’s not the carts as I was using hull pigeon or gamebore Clear  pigeon .. and am still a bit of a novice 

Edited by Jacko3275

1 minute ago, aga man said:

Good report Jacko, thanks for taking the time to type it up. That little Barney is a cracker and will make a very good dog I am sure. Never seen a spaniel so steady.

Took me hours not very good a English lit

Entertaining read Jacko , I started to follow the plans but after C it all got a bit to much for the brain , we like to keep things simple in Norfolk and find A, B and C is just about as much as our poor ole minds can cope with , a nice bag considering the windy conditions , you will find the more you do ,you will start to read the birds better and mount your gun at the right time , this will give you less time to think and you will start to shoot by instinct , Good luck when you PLAN to go again and hopefully the day will go according to whatever you both have planed . 

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Entertaining read Jacko , I started to follow the plans but after C it all got a bit to much for the brain , we like to keep things simple in Norfolk and find A, B and C is just about as much as our poor ole minds can cope with , a nice bag considering the windy conditions , you will find the more you do ,you will start to read the birds better and mount your gun at the right time , this will give you less time to think and you will start to shoot by instinct , Good luck when you PLAN to go again and hopefully the day will go according to whatever you both have planed . 

Plan A & B started last week on Jdog post...   so cdef was just the follow on to a better day and I’m still learning only been shooting 15 month( not on pigeons)  and hopefully will get a lot better but the most important thing is I’m kind of addicted to going out shooting pigeon And love it even if I have a bad day 

50 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Took me hours not very good a English lit

Thanks for taking the time to post the details of your day. Never mind the English, it’s the content that counts and yours has plenty.

Like Marshman, we never go beyond a Plan B, but that is perhaps laziness on our part, so I admire your determination.

Good company is always an important part of the day and from  this and previous accounts, you had that abundance.

Thanks for posting.

OB

43 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Thanks for posting Jacko. The birds have been tricky in this area all winter, you chaps did well to get 25. Hopefully a bit of nice weather and spring drilling will turn things around a bit.

Still doesn’t mean I hit anything 

3 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Still doesn’t mean I hit anything 

You will, keep getting out amongst it. Seen  some drills out today on the drier ground, if they keep getting stop/ start drilling conditions there will be plenty of opportunities over the next couple of months.

17 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

You will, keep getting out amongst it. Seen  some drills out today on the drier ground, if they keep getting stop/ start drilling conditions there will be plenty of opportunities over the next couple of months.

hope so

2 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

That’s a shame, I enjoyed your videos from it last time. Good report.

Gonna double check next time

3 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Not charged thought I had done it but think I must have left it switch on when I put my gun away last time gutted

I find even if I put it away fully charged and all vids deleted. Next time out, even a couple of days it still needs a charge before leaving home. Don't think they're very big batteries.