Clay shooting

JaneH

Welcome to the forum.

As scully has said yes you can buy private sale.

Only trouble with it is if you don't know what your looking at or what faults to look for.

Where in the country are you and your husband?

Helps with grounds and gun dealer suggestions, may even be members off here to help you both.

Welcome to the sport and the forum :)

My family is also new to clay shooting (we have been at it just over a year now), I have had loads of fantastic advice from my local clay ground and instructor as well as from my local RFD.  You may have to travel to an RFD but a good one will take the time to help you find the right gun, with a good fit, and many of the bigger clay grounds have a shop, and will let you try out some of the guns they have.  As others have said, if you put up your location people will happily recommend places to look and offer local help.

Good luck on the hunt, my only advice would be take your time and find the right gun at the right price, its easy to buy quick and then end up changing guns 6 months later (my dad did exactly this).

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, can never understand why people join and ask advice and do not reply to posts, 

I seriously think this is someone ‘fishing’ just to see if anyone will bite regarding the offer of a ‘private sale’ , which is why I mentioned the relevant paperwork. It often puts off people. 
On the other hand I may be totally wrong.🙂